Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Kerry DVD I'm making

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Over the last few months I've been filming a DVD for Kerry Airport for a college work placement.
    I was hoping to get some feedback as to what people think of the *rough* edit of it.

Looking for the dislikes more than the likes.

You can check it out here - YouTube

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

The dvd is good, I think. I'm not too sure about the background music. In my opinion it's too loud while the people are speaking, and I'm not altogether sure it's the right choice.
    I don't know why, and I've no suggestions for an alternative track, something softer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Nice one richy,im not an expert,but it seems very well put together!!

Nice work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭edgesgirl

totally agree wit dh. footage is great and it makes it look really good but the soundtrack is brutal. maybe something a bit more contemporary with a hint of irish, foreign companies would love it. well done though, if thats "rough" i can't wait to see the finished product :D

Reading back on what I posted, I forgot :o to say WELL DONE and GOOD LUCK.
    I hope it all goes well for you.

As a sugesstion for a background track - James Last ??? - (done a concert for the Rose of Tralee years ago), my Mam stills talks about it, you might find somthing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Thanks for the feedback guys.

dh0661, you're right about the volume of the music. It's definitely too loud on at least 1 of the interviews.

I didn't compose the music, the fella who was supposed to be making the entire dvd with me did it.
    It's about the only thing he ended up doing, and most people (client included) seem to think it's quite poor.
    Too late to change it though :(

Did any shots stick out as not fitting very well?

• Advertisement

edgesgirl wrote: »
    well done though, if thats "rough" i can't wait to see the finished product :D

When I say rough it's actually pretty much the final product, just a few new shots and some reordering to be done

is the guy coming out of the private jet with his jacket over his shoulder the first man being interviewed??

Reading back on what I posted, I forgot :o to say WELL DONE and GOOD LUCK.
    I hope it all goes well for you.

As a sugesstion for a background track - James Last ??? - ( done a concert for the Rose of Tralee years ago, my Mam stills talks about it, you might find somthing there.

RichyX wrote: »

The black clouds up in the sky, they fit very well with the weather we're having.
    As I said before, and in my honest very humble opinion, dvd is fine.
    Good luck, hope all goes well.

is the guy coming out of the private jet with his jacket over his shoulder the first man being interviewed??

Yeah, unfortunately it's the same guy.
    I'd filmed the private jet sequence before it was made clear he'd also be interviewed.
    I'm planning to swap the clips around so it's less obvious.

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    The black clouds up in the sky, they fit very well with the weather we're having.

:D

Hardly had a decent days weather when I'd the equipment down there

As I said before, and in my honest very humble opinion, dvd is fine.
    Good luck, hope all goes well.

I'd filmed the private jet sequence before it was made clear he'd also be interviewed.

do i get a prize for spotting it :L

Oops - I thought that alright, but it was not really that obvious, was it ?.

do i get a prize for spotting it :L

As the older folks around Tralee say "you won't see what I'll buy you for x-mas".

ha ha cant wait......:cool:

:D

Hardly had a decent days weather when I'd the equipment down there

How do you know when it's summer in Kerry ???

It's when the rain is warm. :P

Put the final version online.
    Still a few things annoying me about it...

Put the final version online.
    Still a few things annoying me about it...

Still the same background music, although not as loud during the interviews, and still the same guy off the plane to interview, not that that makes much of a difference in my opinion, maybe you should consider yourself lucky that he flew down specially for that interview.

To be critical, are some of the pics coming across a bit dark/off colour. Maybe that's only on you tube, and what you'll be presenting on the real dvd will have better picture quality.

Best of luck with it, hope all goes well.

Still the same background music, although not as loud during the interviews, and still the same guy off the plane to interview, not that that makes much of a difference in my opinion, maybe you should consider yourself lucky that he flew down specially for that interview.

I know, didn't have access to any other music so I was stuck with it. Luckily the client had grown to like it!

Basil didn't fly down at all :)
    We were allowed to use the plane by its owners (Munster Joinery, iirc)
    I swapped it around so it isn't quite as noticeable if you haven't seen it before.
    To be critical, are some of the pics coming across a bit dark/off colour. Maybe that's only on you tube, and what you'll be presenting on the real dvd will have better picture quality.

True. There's one shot in particular of a dark haired girl at check in that was underexposed when I filmed it. Couldn't brighten it enough without making her face look very odd.
    I'd have dropped it altogether, but the client was very fond of the shot.
    Best of luck with it, hope all goes well.
    Thanks!
    It's done and paid for now so I'll have to leave it at that!

• Advertisement

It's done and paid for now so I'll have to leave it at that!

PAID FOR - that's the most important part, I hope you got paid well.

Again best of luck in the future, if you think that we were, or can be of any help, post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Not bad at all well done!
    Love the product placement from the Kerry Group lady!!!
    I hope Guiness and Bus Eireann as giving you a few quid also!
    One suggestion on the text on screen! Maybe you could be a little more creative. Blue text on a cloud background or something perhaps!
    You might PM me rates on producing corporate videos.
    No royalties on Classical music by the way just for future reference.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Not bad at all well done!
    Love the product placement from the Kerry Group lady!!!
    I hope Guiness and Bus Eireann as giving you a few quid also!
    One suggestion on the text on screen! Maybe you could be a little more creative. Blue text on a cloud background or something perhaps!
    You might PM me rates on producing corporate videos.
    No royalties on Classical music by the way just for future reference.

The text part at the beginning was pretty much copied from an Aer Arann DVD. The client was very fond of that DVD, wanted to copy the thing wholesale!

I thought there may be an issue with classical music if it was recorded by a particular orchestra...
    Didn't look into the usage of other music, although I really should have given the feedback for the current soundtrack.

PM sent

Advertisement