Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there many famous musicians who use solid state amps??

• 18-08-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Anyone know of any famous people to not use valve amps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

No, not 'many'. Theres a few alright, but only a small percentage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You're more likely to hear of famous musicians using solid state amps clean than dirty. Thats where SS shines through. I think a good few Jazz guitarists use SS amps.

A lot of bassists would use SS amps also, usually for a more modern cleaner tone with greater headroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

A good few people do use solid state and digital stuff. I've heard of a good few metal people who have used Line 6 gear for their live sound. A few others prefer the solid state distortion. Chuck Schuldiner from Death and Dimebag Darrell being 2 of many.

Dord wrote: »
    A lot of bassists would use SS amps also, usually for a more modern cleaner tone with greater headroom.
    That's true, I notice the OP didn't even say 'guitarist', but thats the perspective I answered the question from :pac: My mistake.

That's true, I notice the OP didn't even say 'guitarist', but thats the perspective I answered the question from :pac: My mistake.

Damn guitarists only thinking about themselves! :rolleyes: ;)

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    Damn guitarists only thinking about themselves! :rolleyes: ;)
    Well, when someone cares enough about tone to post a thread about it, I figure he's not a bassist :pac: ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

James Hetfield uses a solid state amp all the time (JC-120 for his clean tone). Like Dord said, clean tones come from SS amps most of the time. For distortion, Dimebag was probably the biggest user of solid state amps. That said, I've heard a solid state amp give fantastic distorted tones that most people would say was from a tube amp.

Well, when someone cares enough about tone to post a thread about it, I figure he's not a bassist :pac: ;)

:eek: You're gonna start a war with those words!

feylya wrote: »
    Like Dord said, clean tones come from SS amps most of the time. .
    I would say that's true of Jazz players maybe.

But in the grand scheme of things, looking at blues players, rock, metal, indie etc, I wouldn't say SS amps account for most clean tones. The Fender twin reverb has got to be one of the most recorded clean amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Tom-eg

Fender twin reverb is a valve amp

• Advertisement

That's what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Tom-eg

Ok my bad. I thought you said you would say SS amps would account for most . . . I read it wrong. Was confused there for awhile

Advertisement