Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your DIT's 2008/2009

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭

Saw something similar over on another 3rd level college forum on boards and thought "hey DIT could do with one of them".

Also the fact that this could be very well my last year in DIT I'd like to see a bit more of a community scene on this board and to go out with a bang. Have a look at the TCD/UCD boards and they have like beers and things, perhaps it's something we can look into (well aware they are one college all in one area but surely we can muster up something).

This will also allow all new comers to DIT get to know the regulars of this forum a bit better before the term kicks in.

If we can keep the format like this

Name:

Year/Course:
    How to notice:

so i'll start....

Name: Neil
    Year/Course: DT228/4 Computer Science.
    Societies/Clubs: Netsoc
    Interests: music, playing guitar/bass, anime, photography, jolt cola.
    How to notice: constantly in the queue in the SU getting a can of jolt, hiding away in the solaris lab in 115 and generally always looks like I got 20 minutes sleep last night. Will be in the queue for noodles at spar frantically tapping my foot in the vain attempt to get them to hurry up.

k seems a few of you are putting in pictures so here we go.

me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Interests:jolt cola.
    How to notice: constantly in the queue in the SU getting a can of jolt,

I'm sorry you appear to have stolen / are wearing my personality and/or gimmick.

One of us will have to change (It's not me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭claret

Name: Charlene
    Year/Course: DT413/1 Event Management
    Societies/Clubs: None yet!
    Interests: music, dancing, reading, fairies (the ornament kind, not those of the male variety!)
    How to notice: I'll be the little lost girl not knowing anyone or where anything is, but too stuborn to ask for directions/help!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

claret wrote: »
    Name: Charlene
    Year/Course: DT413/1 Event Management
    Interests: music, dancing, reading, fairies (the ornament kind, not those of the male variety!)
    How to notice: I'll be the little lost girl not knowing anyone or where anything is, but too stuborn to ask for directions/help!:rolleyes:

ya werent working with a certan promoter over the summer we you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭claret

ya werent working with a certan promoter over the summer we you?
    No that wasn't me. I've been slaving away in the bar and restaurant of a hotel all summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Name:
    Phil
    Year/Course: DT228/2
    Societies/Clubs/interests: n/a(atm) - n/a(atm) - pwning
    How to notice: Red hair, glasses playing with his k850i

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭tasha1

Name: Tasha
    Year/Course: DT341/1 Marketing
    Societies/Clubs/interests: None Yet.. But I'll sort it!
    How to notice: Small, Purpleyish hair, Will look lost/confused. :]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Name: Gary
    Year/Course: DT204/1 Biomedical Science
    Societies/Clubs/interests: None yet but i'm going to make an effort!
    How to notice: As a few have mentioned, looking lost. Sporting my new labret piercing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh guys for the newcomers seriously get involved in the societies they really are good fun to met new people and stuff, also don't sign up unless you get lollypops off the recruiters, they get them to hand out but usually keep them for their greedy selves :mad:

since i'm pretty much an anti-social bastard and can't do any sports due to a rugby injury i'm not in many :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

Hey good job starting the Thread Cremo , DIT needs more of a community scene , it can be hard with campuses all over the city , i know its something thats a pain in the ass for societies.

Name: Mariano (Mario)
    Year/Course: DT228/2 Computer Science.
    Societies/Clubs: Gamesoc , Netsoc, Christan Union.
    Interests: Football/Rugby, Gaming, Game design , Sci Fiction.
    How to notice: Paying someone else to go to the shop to buy me jolt cause i am too lazy to go myself, and constantly trying to get people to drink excess amounts of achol, as i myself will be doing.

And yes people join a society !!! , its great fun, and they have something for everybody, and if they dont have what you want. Then start one , i start the gamesoc with a bunch of other first years and its been great fun. (plus we are always looking for people join the commitee and help run the society)

Yes i know it was a plug but whatever. (oh and we have lots of lollypops)

our bebo page.
    http://www.bebo.com/DITgamesoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Name:
    Orla or Schmorla
    Year/Course: DT228/4 Computer Science
    Societies/Clubs/interests: Netsoc, DJ soc
    How to notice: Constantly screaming at people for talking loudly in labs and/or playing games while other people are trying to work. My laptop has "bitch zone" on the front of it. Normally have a bottle of red BPM in my hand. Can be heard saying "Come on we'll go to spar and i'll get noodles"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No harm :)

Name: Stephen
    Course: DT028/1 Transport Operations & Technology
    Socs/Interests etc: No socs yet, that won't last though :)
    How to notice: I'll be one looking lost for a while, then I'll be the one constantly drinking coke. Addictive is that stuff!

C'mere to me, I was in DT315/1 last year so I have a general knowledge of webtimetables etc etc, but is it me or will they just not work for some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Name: Judy
    Course: DT571 (I think!)/ Social Care/ Starting 1st year

No socs yet.

Here's how how to notice me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Name: Glenn Fitzpatrick
    Year/Course: 1st Year Media Arts DT552
    Interests: Music, Gigs, Bass Guitar, Singing, Soccer, WWE, Writing
    How to notice: Obnoxious, bad jokes, promoting my band!

Like this after half a drink ladies ;)

Joke haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Name: Fin
    Year/Course: DT553/2 Journalism & Spanish (here's hoping, anyway)
    Societies/Clubs: News, Paintball.
    Interests: Football, music, journalism, ice hockey, GAA, other sports, reading.
    How to notice: Frequently changing hairstyle, being an un-morning person.

I reckon this should be stickied!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

Name: Niamh (Nemo)
    Year/Course: DT008/3 Hoping to pass repeats and go to DT202/1
    Societies/Clubs: Dys_Soc, Waves TeaKwon-Do.
    Interests: Ever changing interests but here are my top 4 Music, Sports, Electronics, Programming.
    How to notice: I live in DIT hoodie, and in snakery with laptop... or anywhere with Wi-Fi/LAN Access

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cmb

Name: Ciara
    Year: 1st
    Course: DT025 Engineering
    Interests: Sailing, Asgard 2, Ventures,
    How to notice: signing up 2 every society, furiously trying to make friends, smiling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Name: Daniel
    Year/Course: 1st Year Media Arts DT552
    Societies/Clubs: None yet, but hopefully will join DJ and paintball socs.
    Interests: Electronic music, literature, art projects, clubbing.
    How to notice: Blaring sub-bass driven hypnotic trance from my headphones, laughing at inappropriate times, other than that just trying to fit in.

The pic below is the only one I have at the moment. I'm in the middle.

disssco wrote: »
    trying to fit in.
    cmb wrote: »
    furiously trying to make friends

I can see a team emerging. Can I join? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

We will be seen by the rest of our classmates as "the internet freaks"!

• Advertisement

I feel a society coming on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vorr1k

Name: Conor Magoo
    Year/Course: DT 228
    Societies/Clubs: Gamesoc, only gamesoc.. i think, netsoc too? (i hear they are bad at quake)
    How to notice: Banging head off table infront of the people shouting racial slurs :'(
    Interests: Uh musac, games, arrrrt, Da p0n@ge of n00B5's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Cadeaus

Name: Rob McDonald
    Year/Course: DT552/2 Media Arts.
    Societies/Clubs/interests:Gamesoc/Musoc/MediaSoc/I'm also a total comic book geek
    How to notice: Complaining about Java city's coffee tasting like bin.

Those going into Media Arts, prepare yourselves for one hell of a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Voltwad wrote: »
    I can see a team emerging. Can I join? :)

As can i, Boardsies@DIT [I know, it's all i could come up with, don't laugh... :)]

disssco wrote:
    trying to fit in.
    cmb wrote:
    furiously trying to make friends

We all joke about this going into 1st year but i think it's in the back of everyone's minds - the whole friends/fitting in thing. Normal when approx 40+ different people are going to be flung together for a few years.

I've done the whole 1st year thing before and it still worries me now entering a different course this year! But you'll be surprised how fast you get to know people and how fast different groups appear within the class group!

I think the most awkward moment is at the introduction day, you all come into the room, meet your tutor etc and then go for a break. Everyone is nervously making small talk so you're not left on your own during the break! After that i think it was plain sailing!

Has anyone ever had a bad experience making friends etc?
    Cremo wrote: »

Also the fact that this could be very well my last year in DIT I'd like to see a bit more of a community scene on this board and to go out with a bang. Have a look at the TCD/UCD boards and they have like beers and things, perhaps it's something we can look into (well aware they are one college all in one area but surely we can muster up something).

I'm hoping for a bit more of a DIT community spirit on boards too this year, i found that over the past two years this forum was a bit dead at times and it's perhaps one of the reasons i didn't post a whole lot. Regarding what you said above about the TCD/UCD beers etc i think it's definitely something we could all look into during the year?

Gazza22 wrote: »

Has anyone ever had a bad experience making friends etc?

Yes i met Vorr1k on my first day in D.I.T, it was all down hill from there :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Name: Yuri (y.)
    course: DT001/2 Product Design

Societies: Environmental society
    Hobbies: Drawing pretentious comics, designing stuff from materials found in bins, wood carving, playing guitar really badly, cycling and airsoft.

my catchphrases: "freedom is a gimmick", "keep it virtual". these comments are copyrighted (C) 2008 experiMental
    I made posters of 'em - if you want them, give me a shout.

P.S: Anyone willing to link me to cheap spearfishing equipment will be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

what numbers are we talking re beers?

i'll look into it if theres demand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Name: Ronan H - Mountjoy Square
    Course / Year:
    DT561 - Y2 - BA Ord. Social Care Practice (In Service)
    Societies / Clubs / Interests:
    No societies or clubs. Interests include mountain biking, soccer, music, gardening, driving & motoring, reading, furthering my education, my son and the one on the way!
    How To Notice: Wednesday mornings at 8am (or sometimes earlier) i can be found in the Purple Place lounging around before class. Being an In Service student you might find a number of more mature people near me. Also i have been known to sit in room 320 on the swivel chair talking to the people who live in that room...

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Vorr1k

Yes i met Vorr1k on my first day in D.I.T, it was all down hill from there :rolleyes:

U SHUT UP STAR TREK SUCKS!!!
    lol and u wont even get smashbros for me to beat you in :O

i'm a ****in beacon of light, guiding weary gamesoc members safely ashore!(then killing them)

tbh, most fun i've had all year was taking part in gamesoc(not a shameless plug, just giving my insight from my first year), Hopefully ill be ontop of my **** to help out in the soc alot this year and get it to higher levels.(ssj pref)

I'd say everyones had a good laugh in their societies

• Advertisement

Vorr1k wrote: »
    U SHUT UP STAR TREK SUCKS!!!
    lol and u wont even get smashbros for me to beat you in :O

i'm a ****in beacon of light, guiding weary gamesoc members safely ashore!(then killing them)

tbh, most fun i've had all year was taking part in gamesoc(not a shameless plug, just giving my insight from my first year), Hopefully ill be ontop of my **** to help out in the soc alot this year and get it to higher levels.(ssj pref)

I'd say everyones had a good laugh in their societies

listen by way we only made you vice chariman of gamesoc, to shut you up , and it has not worked , and star trek does not suck ! my gf says it cool :D , you may be a smashbros pro , but i can still drink you under the table , you light weight.

Advertisement