Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Demo August 21st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Look forward to playing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Super, really really looking forward to this. Not been a decent star wars game since KOTOR1. (go play if you haven't already).

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Super, really really looking forward to this. Not been a decent star wars game since KOTOR1. (go play if you haven't already).

Well the Battlefront games were not that bad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nice one, been looking forward to this for a while. I hope it doesn't disappoint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Excellent. Been waiting for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Where is it?, and I was all excited and everything:o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Stimpyone wrote: »
    Where is it?, and I was all excited and everything:o.

Hopefully it is released today, i was gonna give it a go this evening....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its usually based on US time isn't it? May be a few hours yet before it appears

Its up for DL according to other sources. Im work, let us all know your impressions and in particular how the framerate is in it... Ive been hearing bad things about that.

Usually stuff goes up at 9am PST which would be 5pm here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its up a while now guys, in arround the 900~mb mark, pritty fun demo, physics very fun, looks like a decent game tech wise, but not my cup of tea gameplay wise unfortunately :(, Still its a good bit of fun though :), Framerates seemed decent and definately didnt notice any massive frame drops during play, seems steady enough...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

bucks73 wrote: »
    Usually stuff goes up at 9am PST which would be 5pm here.

Its been up the last few hours lads.....haven't got around to trying it though so it'll have to wait..
    About 900mb in size.......not expecting a hell of a lot though......been a while since the last decent Star Wars game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I had turn it off after two minutes of play. Defo not my cup of tea...:(

Couple on my friends list are playing it now alright and liking it a lot.

Whats the boss battle like in it? Without giving away spoilers of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Jaysus I don't like the sounds of those saying they're not liking it. I'm a huge fan of Jedi Outcast and was hoping that this was going to be on a similar level to that. Anyone played both able to comment? I'll download it this evening and have a go anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Whats the boss battle like in it? Without giving away spoilers of course.
    It was straightforward enough, think I was playing on easy difficulty so maybe thats why, a bit of a button mashing sequence to take it down, wouldn't have considered it any spectacular though

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

djkeogh wrote: »
    Jaysus I don't like the sounds of those saying they're not liking it. I'm a huge fan of Jedi Outcast and was hoping that this was going to be on a similar level to that. Anyone played both able to comment? I'll download it this evening and have a go anyway.
    It's not really the same type of thing as Jedi Outcast. It's not bad fun - the Demo is only a short-ish level in a Star Destroyer hanger. There's lots to mash about the place. It is a good laugh picking up things or people and flinging them at each other, the sound and the Level was very good (with TIE Fighters flying overhead - trying to hit a moving one with a crate is fun) ... but I do hope that the full game has a bit more variety to offer (which it should do with more Force power-ups, etc.)

I'll definitely be leaning towards buying it - if it does have more variety.

As for the Boss:
    It's an AT-ST Walker (one of the two-legged, little chicken-like fellas)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Will def be downloading this when I get home. Having seen some of the previews though over the last few weeks my expectations have dropped a bit. The whole idea of the on-screen levelling up and that green yolk that is emitted from a dead body and floats towards your character seems utterly needless (I'm assuming they are meant to signify the points you score for killing that particular enemy?). I much preferred the KOTOR or Outcast method.

Still though the new engines should be well worth the look and if they gel half as well as we're told it will make for a lot of fun picking up stormtroopers and flinging them around! That was one of the best bits to Outcast - force gripping a stormtrooper and dropping him down one of the trade-mark Star Wars chasms. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I played through it earlier, it played quite differently to what I expected. Like most, I was expecting it to be like Jedi Outcast. This isn't the case, it's a much looser game than JO. Once I got used to it, I quite enjoyed it.

Flinging Stormtroopers around is lots of fun and the character models are excellent. Ooh, and the effects when you use Force powers are really cool, especially Push. In fact, it's obvious than much effort went into making it feel authentic. But I must admit I was a bit disappointed, I'll play again later and see if I enjoy it more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

75% done! Can't wait. I know I'm going to love this as I'm a sucker for a license. Superman Returns and Spider-Man 3 are prime examples. I loved the games, played them to death, and was fully aware of the shortcomings of both (of which there were plenty) but they were enjoyable and really put you into the cape/tights/etc of the characters. Having 1000/1000 on Superman is both a shame and, well, just a shame really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

chrislad wrote: »
    Having 1000/1000 on Superman is both a shame and, well, just a shame really :)

:D

OT.........Dude, what's up with your gamerscore? Did you get that on your own or do many people play your console? How much money do spend on games or is your console's dvd drive firmware modded? That's a ridiculous amount of games!

Back on topic, downloading atm, star wars fan so I'm hoping this game delivers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Playable, probably get a bit repetitive. But if people can love the hugely over-rated lego star wars then I can't see why they wouldn't like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    OT.........Dude, what's up with your gamerscore? Did you get that on your own or do many people play your console? How much money do spend on games or is your console's dvd drive firmware modded? That's a ridiculous amount of games!

Back on topic, downloading atm, star wars fan so I'm hoping this game delivers!!!

I've had the console since launch, so that's, what, 2+ years now? To be honest, a lot of the earlier games gave away points. I don't drink or smoke so I've more disposable income than most. Most people drink their wages, I play mine! I don't have a modded console, I prefer having the Live experience. Other people do play it sometimes, but the majority of stuff is my own, be it games I bought, rented or traded. I went through a stage about a year ago when I was competing with a friend, so it went up massively then!

Back on topic, thought the demo was quite good. I will definitely be getting this, and I don't expect to be disappointed. I'm hoping the full game will have an option where the lightsaber acts like a real one and cuts everyone to crap! For challenges sake, it makes more sense to have an energy bar for enemies, but it'd be nice to just be an uber powerful Jedi just laying waste.

Lot of nice touches in the demo though, like bending girders to destroy passing TIE Fighters, pulling TIES down from the hangar and smashing them on enemies etc. Sept 21st is too far away! :)

Cool man!! :cool:

Just played the demo, really liked it. Thought the moves and such were very well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just played through the demo there. I have to say that I did like it. Being able to pick almost anything up is a real plus. lashing around the Tie fighters was amazing. I noticed a bit of a framerate issue and I don't usually notice these things but there is so much going on most of the time that you hardly notice it. I'll be putting this on the list of games to buy.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Didnt notice a frame rate problem. The game looks great but I have a feeling this is one of those games that isnt really shown off by its demo. The demo is good fun but the physics engine wont carry this game alone, regardless of how great it is (and it is).

I was a touch disappointed until I left the controller down for a few seconds on the main menu and it played a preview of the rest of the game and it looks like they have payed as much attention to the story and the plot as they have the graphics. Have a look for yourselves...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I plsyed the demop and thought it was a good game~!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Thought the demo was very good. I'll be more interested in the storyline when I get it though. Great idea encorporating them 3 physics engines together, they work brilliant.

Advertisement