Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Civic Type S

Options
  • 18-08-2008 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

The rental car company gave this to me for the week.

Excellent car. Only minus are the poor lumbar support on the sport seats

Honda civic 2.2 diesel Type S. GT Spec

Anyone here own one?
    The entry level Type-S boasts automatic air-conditioning, CD player and a 14-litre cooled glovebox which Honda describes as large enough to ‘lose a small mammal in.’ The trip computer housed within the rev counter also shows the normal mpg figures and average speed and whether the passengers sat in the rear are wearing seatbelts. Upgrade to the GT spec and you get a panoramic glass roof, cruise control, fog lights, automatic lights and wipers and folding door mirrors

Honda_Civic_Type_S_4.jpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/FEATURES/37141.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My Mother has a 1.4 Petrol

and lad I know has a Type-R

Both are great

the new Civic is really a fantastic car. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have a 1.8 petrol 5-door one. Pretty much exactly the same besides the extra doors! Diesel models have only been available here for a couple of weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

was in the new type-r, darn shifts send you through the windscreen :mad:

better looking then most, though the civic was never a good looking car ( hence why everyone puts there one spin on what it Should look like by adding 1 layer body kits and dulux house paint... or that effect )

nothing compared to the mk1 though...

id say the 1.4 model is a bit more comfortable but theres nothing really in the differance between the R and base models... just some badges and a engine... well, more im guessing but i could stay awake in the car long enough to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Yea their a lovely car, would'nt mind getting my hands on one.

Although loving the GTi golfs at the mo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

S.I.R wrote: »
    was in the new type-r, darn shifts send you through the windscreen :mad:

better looking then most, though the civic was never a good looking car ( hence why everyone puts there one spin on what it Should look like by adding 1 layer body kits and dulux house paint... or that effect )

nothing compared to the mk1 though...

id say the 1.4 model is a bit more comfortable but theres nothing really in the differance between the R and base models... just some badges and a engine... well, more im guessing but i could stay awake in the car long enough to notice.

are you for real?
    do you even know what your talking about at times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Stephen wrote: »
    I have a 1.8 petrol 5-door one. Pretty much exactly the same besides the extra doors! Diesel models have only been available here for a couple of weeks now.

Actually there's a big difference between the 1.8 5 door and the 1.8 3 door Type S. The suspension is stiffened and the steering is sharpened. Also the gear ratios are lower for the Type-S.

I've driven both and would prefer the 3 door from a driver's perspective. The 5 door for comfort.

Wow, what this comment shows is actually how little you know about this. The are HUGE differences between the 1.4 and 2.0 from the gearbox, brakes, suspension, seats, steering rack, interior, sound system, lights, spoilers, etc, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

someone mentioned the sound system....

may i add that it is one of the best i have heard in any car. i had the volume at the very highest level and there was no distortion or vibration. excellent.

have driven the car from belfast to tipperary to cavan so far and ..... excellent.

Plenty of power in that engine. revs nicely. i am into gadgets so the display works fine for me. i would have liked if it did show what gear you were in as i often forget about the 5th and 6th gears.

all over. great car. auto wipers work a wonder in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

S.I.R wrote: »

I dunno about that!

The Engine is a Major Difference
    and the suspension setup is different also.
    And the Car has all the nice flashy bits on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is it just me or does blatant trolling from S.I.R. seems to occur in every thread where V-Tec or Type R is mentioned?

No, I'm not a Honda head. Isn't the previous Type R supposed to be a better drive all round? I have been in the current model, 1.4, and I was very impressed by the interior.

Back on topic, that spec looks very impressive. What was the 2.2 Diesel lump like?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The previous generation Type R is more of a hardcore machine than the current one, which is quick too but has much more in the way of creature comforts. I get the impression that the new one is easier to live with as your daily driver. I want one :)

• Advertisement

Stephen wrote: »
    The previous generation Type R is more of a hardcore machine than the current one, which is quick too but has much more in the way of creature comforts. I get the impression that the new one is easier to live with as your daily driver. I want one :)

The S type would be easier to live with , with its high economy. I am thrashing the car as much as possible and i am still returning 48mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

theres a huge difference in power between the type S and the type R tho - the S isnt really meant to be thrashed

The S type would be easier to live with , with its high economy. I am thrashing the car as much as possible and i am still returning 48mpg.

thats a great return!
    really like the new shape civics.

VH wrote: »
    theres a huge difference in power between the type S and the type R tho - the S isnt really meant to be thrashed

If a 2.2 litre honda with sharpened handling and low ratio gearbox is not meant to be thrashed......i don't know what is !!!!???

There is a GTI DSG parked outside aswell but i would go for the Type GT first. Why? Better smile on your face thrashing the Type GT
    to its limit and getting nearly 50mpg.

Powered by a torquey 2.2-litre diesel unit good for 139bhp, the Type-S also comes with a slick, wristy six-speed manual gearbox that will have you punching up and down the ratios just for the sheer fun of it.

The dynamics are what makes this car special and theyre a long way removed from a common-or-garden variety five-door Civic. For a start, the steering has been sharpened to give a more direct feel. The spring and damper settings have been revised to offer a decent ride quality with the standard 17-inch alloys coupled with beefy roll resistance through corners. The rear track has been widened by 20mm to give the Type-S an even more planted appearance, the car almost appearing to sit foursquare on the tarmac.

Like any diesel car, it doesnt show off its best aspect with a bald 0-60 figure, managing to hit the benchmark in 8.3 seconds. Instead, the Type-S saves its best work for the midrange where it will overtake with real verve with as little as 2,000rpm showing on the clock, despite maximum power being attained at 4,000rpm. Keep it in this band and it feels genuinely quick.

If a 2.2 litre honda with sharpened handling and low ratio gearbox is not meant to be thrashed......i don't know what is !!!!???

There is a GTI DSG parked outside aswell but i would go for the Type GT first. Why? Better smile on your face thrashing the Type GT
    to its limit and getting nearly 50mpg.

i dont think he is trying to degrudge the type S here, i think he is just responding to SIR's comment about not much difference between a type S and R.

i have a type s outside my door now, the GF owns it! it aint no type R i tell, i have owned 2 Type R's, am EK9 Civic and a DC2 integra LOL

Advertisement