Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Beers Wellington? Sat 30th Aug - 7pm - The Tasting Room

Options
  • 18-08-2008 9:14am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Half way through the thread that gave birth to this forum it was suggested that there be a few pints had in Wellington as it seemed there were a few of you guys around that part of the world. Well I live nowhere near Wellington, but I'm heading for Dublin airport on Saturday to make my way to NZ for a few weeks and so will be in Wellington on Saturday 30th.

Is anybody about for a pint or two in Wellington that evening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Make it next April and ill see ya there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm incredibly in! Hurray! Sat 30th is perfect for me. I've a big work do this saturday so will have the taste of alcohol for the following saturday.

As far as I remember pclancy and nennec were also in.

Cmol, we'll have a welcome home to nz one for you in april!

Suggestion for venue: J J murphy's on Cuba street. Normally I avoid Irish bars like the plague when I'm abroad but it's a pretty cool pub. Irish pubs are the best place to go out in Wellington, so I'm told.

I also suggest the Occidental on Lambton quay or maybe the malthouse on Courtenay place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cmol wrote: »

No snow in April. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

watna wrote: »
    Cmol, we'll have a welcome home to nz one for you in april!

Suggestion for venue: J J murphy's on Cuba street. Normally I avoid Irish bars like the plague when I'm abroad but it's a pretty cool pub. Irish pubs are the best place to go out in Wellington, so I'm told.

I also suggest the Occidental on Lambton quay or maybe the malthouse on Courtenay place.

Yay Yay!! There'll be another boardsie with me too :D

Crumble - were doing a roadtrip down south too so will make sure we definitely make it to chch too to say hi!!!

Sorry for stealing the thread..... Venue Suggestion for ya's - Matterhorn on Cuba Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ye should goto Valve in Wellington ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Cmol wrote: »

Can I come too??? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Im heading back to Wellington in February/ March myself. Cannot wait.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well I'll bow to watnas superior knowlegde of hostleries in Wellington, just as long as it serves beer and are relatively easy to find. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 JustaJourno

Hmm, I feel left out all the way up here in Hamilton :(

Hamilton is where one of my freinds is actually living at the moment, he said that it was too dull a place for me to bother wasting a day of my trip to vist him there though so I'll be meeting them elsewhere. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 JustaJourno

Yeah, he really wasnt lying! There aint much to do up here at all! Went over to Taupo at the weekend because we heard it was very lively but we didnt see any of that... maybe its just a summer thing?

Irish people over here seem to be few and far between... where is everyone? :D

Hmm, I feel left out all the way up here in Hamilton :(

Come to Wellington for the weekend!! It's an excuse to see the place and you'll get to drink with some fine members of society on Saturday night.

I think the venue should be The Tasting Room on Courtney place. I walked past this evening and it looks lovely. Plus it has nice food too if you're hungry.

My OH is going to come along too. He's not a boardsie but has been to a few boards bees so isn't afraid!

Anyone else in Welly want to join us?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Yeah, he really wasnt lying! There aint much to do up here at all! Went over to Taupo at the weekend because we heard it was very lively but we didnt see any of that... maybe its just a summer thing?

Irish people over here seem to be few and far between... where is everyone? :D

Ya, summer is where its at. The lake gets its full use and parachute jumping just out of town. Also, take a drive through the mountains (can't remember the road) on the way to Napier. Great scenery.

Boards Beer Auckland +1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Excellent i'm there! theres another boardsie down here too that I'll invite, havent met him yet but been trying to help him get work and he interviewed with my company.

I think the venue should be The Tasting Room on Courtney place. I walked past this evening and it looks lovely. Plus it has nice food too if you're hungry.
    Food and beer, doesn't get much better than that I think. ;)

Rabies wrote: »
    Ya, summer is where its at. The lake gets its full use and parachute jumping just out of town. Also, take a drive through the mountains (can't remember the road) on the way to Napier. Great scenery.

I'll be going to Auckland some time over the next few months so we can get a beers organised for then!
    pclancy wrote: »
    Excellent i'm there! theres another boardsie down here too that I'll invite, havent met him yet but been trying to help him get work and he interviewed with my company.

excellent

/rubs hands together
    robinph wrote: »
    Food and beer, doesn't get much better than that I think. ;)

Tasting Room it is. :D Say 7pm? That gives us time to have a bite to eat if anyone wanta (robinph, I know you'll be in tourist mode so though it'd be nice to eat with people")

My bfs friends are having a housewarming that night in Kelburn (not too far from town). They said I'm welcome to bring you guys along after we drink in town. They'd love me to bring more Irish people along. We're still a novelty here!

Tasting Room it is. :D Say 7pm? That gives us time to have a bite to eat if anyone wanta (robinph, I know you'll be in tourist mode so though it'd be nice to eat with people")

My bfs friends are having a housewarming that night in Kelburn (not too far from town). They said I'm welcome to bring you guys along after we drink in town. They'd love me to bring more Irish people along. We're still a novelty here!

7pm sounds good to me.

Dunno if I'd be up for going too late though as I need to get to the ferry the next morning, probably need to work on my accent as well though by the sounds of it. :D

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Myself and Cmol will be in Auckland from the 9th to the 12th April. look at that for forward planning!! LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

pclancy wrote: »

Ah the other boardsie is me! And yeah I'll def be up for that.

[PS Paul I had interview and got/took the job :D]

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What the hell!!!!

Balkie, you're not allowed at this side of the world.

/informs customs & immigration

• Advertisement

Ah the other boardsie is me! And yeah I'll def be up for that.

[PS Paul I had interview and got/took the job :D]

Yay.. another boardsie! Congrats on the job :D
    What the hell!!!!

Balkie, you're not allowed at this side of the world.

/informs customs & immigration

quick, run!

7 might be a bit early for us we'll probably have a few at our local in Brooklyn first then join ye! Might bring two yank and pommie buddies also :)

Landed in Aukland yesterday morning and have already jumped off my first building. :D

2799204974_89730ba81d.jpg

Now in Rotorua, and it stinks.

Landed in Aukland yesterday morning and have already jumped off my first building. :D

2799204974_89730ba81d.jpg

Now in Rotorua, and it stinks.

Nice!

Looks at sun in Auckland picture

looks out window at torrential rain

I think I'm in the wrong city!

robinph, is 7pm good for you or would you rather it was a bit later?

Just wanted to confirm that the venue is the tasting room and I'll bring a large bag of pineapple lumps and put them on the table in front of me so you know where I am!

Edit: sorry the internet here is really flaky, I'm probably breaking it with my massive photo uploads though.

Yep, 7pm should be fine for me assuming I don't get lost. I'll be on the lookout for the pineapple chunks.

Jesus you made it quick to rotorua! The smell is vicous isnt it...love the mud pools and geysers though. Where abouts are you staying? We camped and kayaked near the blue lake for a few gorgeoius sunny days.

Yeah Watna the auld torrential rain has been annoying today :)

Edit: sorry the internet here is really flaky, I'm probably breaking it with my massive photo uploads though.

Yep, 7pm should be fine for me assuming I don't get lost. I'll be on the lookout for the pineapple chunks.

Pineapple lumps .. not chunks. pfft, Get it right. If you haven't tatsed them, get some!

Didn't see the lost part.

The tasting room is on the corner of Cambridge Terrace and Courtenay place It's number 2 Courtenay Place. It should be pretty easy to find.

Here's the details with map

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/bars_restaurants/tasting_room

I had ended up posting the pic a couple of times due to the wireless here flaking out on me during trying to post several things at once and I'd confused it.

I'm going to blame the internet for me having posted chunks rather than lumps as I'd clearly not make such a mistake as that. I'm going to see if I can find some evaported milk as well now to go with them oops I meant condensed.

Just to make you all feel a bit better, I have been hailed on whilst driving to Rotorua today, and then there was a big storm once I got here as well so I've not been keeping all the sunny weather to myself. I think that rain might be a good thing here though as the smell seems slightly less after the downpour.

• Advertisement

I had ended up posting the pic a couple of times due to the wireless here flaking out on me during trying to post several things at once and I'd confused it.

I'm going to blame the internet for me having posted chunks rather than lumps as I'd clearly not make such a mistake as that. I'm going to see if I can find some evaported milk as well now to go with them oops I meant condensed.

Just to make you all feel a bit better, I have been hailed on whilst driving to Rotorua today, and then there was a big storm once I got here as well so I've not been keeping all the sunny weather to myself. I think that rain might be a good thing here though as the smell seems slightly less after the downpour.

I was in Rotorua 2 or 3 weeks ago and is seriously reeks, I know. There was one mud pool up by the blue baths that actually made me retch.

One thing we never got to to when we were there is play dinosaur mini golf. It has big dinosaur models around the golf course. My oh was determined we'd go but I managed to dissuade him! I feel bad now cos he really wanted to do it!

Wellington does not smell bad, you'll be glad to know!

Advertisement