Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats & Welcome newbs

• 18-08-2008 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

first round CAO offers this morning.

welcome to UL :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I also extend the proverbial hand of greeting to those new to UL. This includes one of my younger brothers (hopefully). I'll try and get him to sign up to boards once he starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yup Business Studies and German here I come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The Don wrote: »
    I...extend the...hand...to...my younger brother.

For shame!

I would also like to extend some advice to the new upstarts. If you arrive back to your house and there is a huge tree in your room, it was probably your bored drunk housemates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 MIM-104

Biomedical and Advanced Materials for me :D

Otacon wrote: »
    For shame!

Jealous much?;):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

The Don wrote: »
    I also extend the proverbial hand of greeting to those new to UL. This includes one of my younger brothers (hopefully). I'll try and get him to sign up to boards once he starts.

Excellent, young Don coming to UL, if he's half as much fun as you we could have a good year.
    1huge1 wrote: »
    Yup Business Studies and German here I come...

Congrats, I have some BBS notes and books, PM me early during the semester if you want them.
    MIM-104 wrote: »
    Biomedical and Advanced Materials for me :D

Congrats!
    Otacon wrote: »
    If you arrive back to your house and there is a huge tree in your room, it was probably your bored drunk housemates...

The tree wasnt that big in fairness, the branches just made it look bigger than it was :D And we werent that drunk, we were just up for some messing and your room was an easy target :D

Mossin wrote: »
    Excellent, young Don coming to UL, if he's half as much fun as you we could have a good year.

Thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Welcome to all the new people, enjoy your time in UL you'll miss it when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

got my first choice, so limerick here i come :P

only downside is im gonna have to take a break from my COD4 addiction, since the network information thread says all the ports are banned..

starts early though doesnt it? i was planning at laughing at all my friends that did transition year for at least a month.. 8th sept is my induction day i think..

shabouwcaw wrote: »

only downside is im gonna have to take a break from my COD4 addiction, since the network information thread says all the ports are banned..

starts early though doesnt it? i was planning at laughing at all my friends that did transition year for at least a month.. 8th sept is my induction day i think..

Congrats on getting your 1st choice!

I'd say your induction is between the 1st - 5th Sept, as college returns for all students on Sept 8th...

Make sure to come to a BULBS and meet some of us "nerds"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

hmm...I'd be fairly sure your induction will be the week before that.

actual college starts Sep8th.

year starts early cos exams are before christmas and ya get ~5 weeks hols then :)

kaimera wrote: »
    year starts early cos exams are before christmas and ya get ~5 weeks hols then :)

Not for me, those 5 weeks are so I can cram in my FYP so it'll be finished for day 1 second semester :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

I've got my transfer into 2nd year of LM083, Applied Computing with Networking. Any advice for me people on this course? What club's / soc's are there to help me get into the run of things in 2nd year? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

First time I've logged into boards.ie in over a year..
    Thanks for the welcome :).
    Woohoo! Limerick here I come. I'm doing Computer Systems {I've yet to understand why they don't just called it Computer Science}.

shabouwcaw wrote: »

No online gaming? Say it isnt so, guess torrents are out of the question anyway.

Does programme like skype and msn messenger still work? (and would the webcam feature on msn and skype still work, only way I keep in contact with my brother)

First time I've logged into boards.ie in over a year..
    Woohoo! Limerick here I come. I'm doing Computer Systems {I've yet to understand why they don't just called it Computer Science}.

Great course with sound lecturers. If you see a dirty old man with a green manbag hanging around csis then beware!

(Sorry Al):D

Evo wrote: »
    I've got my transfer into 2nd year of LM083, Applied Computing with Networking. Any advice for me people on this course? What club's / soc's are there to help me get into the run of things in 2nd year? :)

You could try Skynet (Comp Soc), there's loads of other clubs and socs in UL, there's probably a page about them either on the SU web site www.ulsu.ie or on the UL web site. Oh and if I knew back in 2003 what I know now there's a good chance I would have picked that course if it had been on offer, that said I've no regrets about doing Computer Systems :)

No idea maybe because the course isn't all theory there's a decent practical element to the course too. Try get to know people in the year ahead of you they'll be able to help you out with stuff.
    No online gaming? Say it isnt so, guess torrents are out of the question anyway.

Does programme like skype and msn messenger still work? (and would the webcam feature on msn and skype still work, only way I keep in contact with my brother)

Torrents aren't out of the question you'll just have to do some playing around to get it working :). I'm not sure about online gaming from the villages as I've never lived in them but I'd imagine some one has it working. Ask people in Skynet or GSoc they'd be able to help you out.

MSN and Skype should work fine, you just have to set them up to use the UL proxy to connect correctly, just remember to change the settings back to what they were originally when you want to use MSN/Skype outside of the UL network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Delighted! Doing Journalism and New Media and staying in Cappavilla! Is it true that Cappavilla is 30 minutes walk away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Welcome, Welcome one and all, and most importantly join Fianna Fáil :D
    What a crappy rhyme
    jkeire wrote: »
    Delighted! Doing Journalism and New Media and staying in Cappavilla! Is it true that Cappavilla is 30 minutes walk away?

It's only 29 with the new bridge:pac:

Nah...it's about 10 mins from the Main Building where you'll more than likely spend all of your time, if not writing in An Focal for Bluedolphin (she's a boardsie that writes/edits the ULSU newspaper)

@1Huge, I even have the German books if your interested, for a small fee of a few pints they could be yours as I dropped the subject in 3rd year.

jkeire wrote: »

No there's a new bridge that you can use to get from Cappavilla to the college quickly. I doubt it'd take 30 minutes even walking the long way around unless of course you're a very slow walker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Brilliant! Thanks a million for that. I was starting to get worried. ;) Already sent an email about writing for An Focal. I've been reading the online editions to get a feel for the paper. Looking forward to it all now!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

hi all , i have just accepted my place in ul doing econmoics and sociology. Im 22 and have just been working etc for the past few years... i have a place in plassey booked but am starting to think am i going to be the only person over 18 in the village? and reasurances or suggestions of other decent places to stay would be a great help. Im making the long trip from cork and will be a complete lo:rolleyes:ner on arrival so wud like some place with a social contacting....... thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

a2dg wrote: »
    hi all , i have just accepted my place in ul doing econmoics and sociology. Im 22 and have just been working etc for the past few years... i have a place in plassey booked but am starting to think am i going to be the only person over 18 in the village? and reasurances or suggestions of other decent places to stay would be a great help. Im making the long trip from cork and will be a complete lo:rolleyes:ner on arrival so wud like some place with a social contacting....... thanks again
    Well I haven't gone yet but my sister has.
    From what I know Plassey is generally inhabited by the younger students, but there could a few who're around your age. At this point it's unlikely you'd get one of the villages {that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply anyway} so I'd go with one of the accommodation areas in the surrounding area if you're looking for a closer age bracket.
    Sorry if this doesn't help.

thats what i have been thinking myself, any suggestions? anyone in the same situation?

Ok so I just got accomodation in the Courtyard, so im not on campus after all (so no blocked internet!)
    Anyone have any experience with this place, it looks really nice and I right about there being a free shuttle bus in the mornings to the college?
    Will there be a lot of other 1st years here?

Economics and Sociology has **** all hours, you lucky bastard, I know 2 people going into 4th year in that course, so I may be able to get notes for you. Your class will be fairly small too I'd imagine, and with more women than men. :D
    If you want to meet people just go into the Stables on Campus. PM me either, and I'll meet anyone for a pint :D I do love a pint :D

Well I haven't gone yet but my sister has.
    From what I know Plassey is generally inhabited by the younger students, but there could a few who're around your age. At this point it's unlikely you'd get one of the villages {that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply anyway} so I'd go with one of the accommodation areas in the surrounding area if you're looking for a closer age bracket.
    Sorry if this doesn't help.

I'd agree that Plassey is more than likely full on younger students, but dont despair, there will no doubt be a few more in your situation, and tbh, it's better craic meeting younger people in the initial stages.
    Ok so I just got accomodation in the Courtyard, so im not on campus after all (so no blocked internet!)
    Anyone have any experience with this place, it looks really nice and I right about there being a free shuttle bus in the mornings to the college?
    Will there be a lot of other 1st years here?

Courtyard is really nice. I know people who have been living there for 3 years, and are returning in September again. It has a good mixture of students, between 1st and 4th. There is a shuttle bus, Petee may be able to fill in some more details here, as he lived there before I arrived in UL.
    It's a fair walk to/from college, but sure no further than the Lodge :D

so looks like im going to give plassey a go if its not for me i can always leave, was looking on daft.ie tough and there are a few houses in castle troy (dont no ne thing bout the area) they looked like they had decent size bedrooms...but whats the area like? would hate to arrive home and find the tv/ps3 missing someday! ill def take u up on that pint on arrival mossin:cool:

so looks like im going to give plassey a go if its not for me i can always leave, was looking on daft.ie tough and there are a few houses in castle troy (dont no ne thing bout the area) they looked like they had decent size bedrooms...but whats the area like? would hate to arrive home and find the tv/ps3 missing someday! ill def take u up on that pint on arrival mossin:cool:

Yeah you can leave, and risk losing a deposit. I'd say you shouldnt have much trouble there, I hear that Plassey is really good fun especially for 1st years.

I've been in College Court 3 years, entering my 4th next year, and *touch wood* we havent had any trouble yet. Saying that there have been some robberies lately which have tarred the place, but 95% of the time its fine.

I'll be around by the end of orientation week, sorry I wont be there for the first day or two, its Electric Picnic time and recovery :D
    But I'll def meet for a few pints, we'll organise something later, and that invite is open to all new and old boardsies alike.

Mossin wrote: »
    But I'll def meet for a few pints, we'll organise something later, and that invite is open to all new and old boardsies alike.

\o/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Thank you for the welcome! :D

Joint Honours here I come!

Advertisement