Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats & Welcome newbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm apparently goign to be a senior orientation guide again this year, so anyone with any queries feel free to harass ANY of the guides except us seniors:D:D:D

Only messing, don't expect a lot they'll be hungover like you!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

does anyone know what's involved for transfer students at registration? like am I treated like a 1st year as am I going to be given the orientation or will I just be given my student card and expected to figure everything out myself?

Evo wrote: »
    does anyone know what's involved for transfer students at registration? like am I treated like a 1st year as am I going to be given the orientation or will I just be given my student card and expected to figure everything out myself?

You'll be treated like a first year. And expected not to be a prick about it either:D:D

Some transfer students get very ratty when guides are showing things they don't want to know about....1st years normally just go with the flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Mossin wrote: »
    Not for me, those 5 weeks are so I can cram in my FYP so it'll be finished for day 1 second semester :(

Don't fret - it's possible; I did it last January and got an A2 in my FYP!!! :D
    shabouwcaw wrote: »
    starts early though doesnt it? i was planning at laughing at all my friends that did transition year for at least a month.. 8th sept is my induction day i think..
    As has been mentioned - orientation for you will be two days out of September 2 - 5; classes start on the 8th.
    jkeire wrote: »
    Delighted! Doing Journalism and New Media and staying in Cappavilla! Is it true that Cappavilla is 30 minutes walk away?
    Are you who I think you are? ;)
    a2dg wrote: »
    so looks like im going to give plassey a go if its not for me i can always leave, was looking on daft.ie tough and there are a few houses in castle troy (dont no ne thing bout the area) they looked like they had decent size bedrooms...but whats the area like? would hate to arrive home and find the tv/ps3 missing someday! ill def take u up on that pint on arrival mossin:cool:
    Be wary about some of the places on daft.ie...they've refused to take down landlords that we (students' union) don't endorse because of their mistreatment of students in the past and their general bad record. If you want any more details, PM me.

Ahh reading this has upset me...I wish I was starting again...or at least going back to college. I'm so uber jealous right now. :(

As ninty9er mentioned, if anyone's interested in writing for the student newspaper and/or magazine please contact me!!! I'll be doing a recruitment drive during week 1...don't be shy, all the great writers have to start somewhere and I'll even help you along with some ideas to start you off! :) And, there may even be cookies... ;)

BULBS! \o/ With new people! Wow! \o/ When?

And, there may even be cookies... ;)
    Is Java's open tonight?

Tuesday week zero sound good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Don't fret - it's possible; I did it last January and got an A2 in my FYP!!! :D

ninty9er wrote: »
    Tuesday week zero sound good?

Congrats on the A2, although I probably said that to you already, but it doesnt hurt to be nice. :)

How about BULBS in Week 1, cos most of the users here, even Alumni, will be down. In Week 0, we will be way too hungover after the Electric Picnic to do anything.

I'm suggesting Monday/Tuesday of Week 1 for BULBS.
    I might start a thread soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ninty9er wrote: »
    @1huge, I even have the German books if your interested, for a small fee of a few pints they could be yours as I dropped the subject in 3rd year.
    thanks mate, Ill get back to ya on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Week1 BULBS is the plan :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Welcome to all new people and well done to everyone who got in.
    I'm doing Computer Systems {I've yet to understand why they don't just called it Computer Science}.

Becasue its far superior to any mere Computer Science course on offer anywhere else! Theres a good few alumni of Comp Sys knocking about (Rmacm, kai, otacon, The Don, me and a good few others) so feel free to ask questions. In fact we've a faily good spread of everyone in here (Even dirty business students) so that goes for all ye new tykes!
    There is a shuttle bus, Petee may be able to fill in some more details here, as he lived there before I arrived in UL.

The courtyard and brookfield are both solid enough places(Or at least they were 5 and 4 years ago!) Bus comes every 20 mins and its generally pretty reliable. If not it takes about 20 - 25 mins walk to the stables, the most important area on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

kaimera wrote: »
    Week1 BULBS is the plan :)

Aye **** it why not, I suppose I'd better start updating that list of people I want to torture when I meet them :p

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    Aye **** it why not, I suppose I'd better start updating that list of people I want to torture when I meet them :p

Jeez Rory dont scare away all the newbs just yet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I got accepted to Law and Accounting.
    Can anyone tell me what are the chances that I'll be sharing on campus accommodation if we both went through the correct procedures to stay in Killmurray around February? 4 of us had signed up together, but it looks like 2 won't be going to UL now.

Another question, is it difficult for those below the legal age to obtain service in certain establishments the pub?

Ekels wrote: »
    Another question, is it difficult for those below the legal age to obtain service in certain establishments the pub?
    asl?

might not be a huge issue...ya should be able to get id stamp anyway

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

It might be. For the first few weeks it will be pretty strict. You'll need to get a stamp on your student card that says your over 18 from the students union (As technically the establisments are clubs and not pubs, so you need to be a member)

The bouncers will check for this and if you don't have it, tough luck. However, if you know someone who does have this, and you yourself have some suitable ID then they can sign you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Jeez Rory dont scare away all the newbs just yet! ;)

Oh they'll be ok they haven't done anything to annoy me yet :) (yet being the operative word). A Bulbs will be fun, I'll make it down to this one there's a few people I'd like to meet.

Yeah you might do, as far as I know you have to be over 18 to become a member of the Stables. Most of the clubs (and some of the pubs) in town will ask you for ID too if you look young enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

Are you who I think you are? ;)

Yup! :D
    I can see trouble with this I.D! I'm 19 but I look around 14! :( Even the bouncers where I live still don't buy it. Will this count for orientation week as well? A good few of my friends coming to UL are under 18 and the nightly line up for the week seems right good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 goth_detective

hi all , i have just accepted my place in ul doing econmoics and sociology. Im 22 and have just been working etc for the past few years... i have a place in plassey booked but am starting to think am i going to be the only person over 18 in the village? and reasurances or suggestions of other decent places to stay would be a great help. Im making the long trip from cork and will be a complete lo:rolleyes:ner on arrival so wud like some place with a social contacting....... thanks again

hey im just going into second year in Eco&Soc....great course!! u'll love it!! yes there are usually more girls than guys..only 12 hours a week!! if ya need any extra notes or whatnot ill give em to ya...PM me if ya want and well get a drink or something sometime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I can see trouble with this I.D! I'm 19 but I look around 14! :( Even the bouncers where I live still don't buy it. Will this count for orientation week as well? A good few of my friends coming to UL are under 18 and the nightly line up for the week seems right good!
    Ya it looks like the blizzards are playing on thursday the 4th, that should be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

...PM me if ya want and well get a drink or something sometime :D

Giggity, giggity, giggity!

• Advertisement

Oh, Fight Like Apes are playing Dolans in September. Are they ID strict?

This is a pain in the arse because I won't be 18 until February and I barely look 17, never mind 18 +.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

hi all , i have just accepted my place in ul doing econmoics and sociology. Im 22 and have just been working etc for the past few years... i have a place in plassey booked but am starting to think am i going to be the only person over 18 in the village? and reasurances or suggestions of other decent places to stay would be a great help. Im making the long trip from cork and will be a complete lo:rolleyes:ner on arrival so wud like some place with a social contacting....... thanks again

You'll be fine in Plassey, though as a 1st year you probably will be in with the 18 year old muppets...I'm 23 and this is (hopefully) my 6th year in PV. Plus I got the Fun Police job so you'll see me around.

The Lodge are a bit lax in week 0 given the tendancy of people not to have ID, but from week 1 you'll need a blue sticker on the back which can be obtained from SU reception for the princely sum of €1.50 (if it hasn't gone up since December)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

got offered eng and hist in two minds wheter to take it or not, i live about 4 hours away so dunno wheter to take it or not. although i do have accomadtion booked in to cappavilla...
    decisions decisions!:D

Dragonfly, the only thing I'll say is that you wont regret coming to UL.

The end choice is obviously yours [or your parents who, if like mine ,wouldnt let you stay at home any longer]:(

Dragonfly, the only thing I'll say is that you wont regret coming to UL.

The end choice is obviously yours [or your parents who, if like mine ,wouldnt let you stay at home any longer]:(
    lol. yore parents are stoopid :pac:

FAIL for anybody who points out the irony...loser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Just accepted my offer of Digital Media Design there. Am I right in saying that the number of people taking this course is very low?

Ahh...after six years of climbing to the top of secondary school and earning the right to call those first years n00bs I've now become one of them. Lovely.

Just accepted my offer of Digital Media Design there. Am I right in saying that the number of people taking this course is very low?

Ahh...after six years of climbing to the top of secondary school and earning the right to call those first years n00bs I've now become one of them. Lovely.
    newb

\o/

kaimera wrote: »
    FAIL for anybody who points out the irony...loser

So many n00bs around that they wouldn't get the irony;)

Is that an "in joke"?

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me if it's difficult for three 1st year males to be put into the same house in Killmurray? We applied in February and put down one another's names.

Advertisement