Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats & Welcome newbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1huge1 wrote: »
    Oh were supposed to pay the reg fee before we go to UL? I thought we had to wait till we started.

Before, definitely before!! I'm fairly sure it even states it on the cover letter with the bank giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Got HPSS so damn happy... UL / Thomond Village here I come! Any idea when we're told what room we're stayin in, get our key etc?

Got HPSS so damn happy... UL / Thomond Village here I come! Any idea when we're told what room we're stayin in, get our key etc?

Whenever you turn up at village reception. You can ring ahead and find out what apt you're in, but I'm not sure if they'll tell you who else is in the apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

One more question, well, from me anyway. As I said before, my day of meetings and guides is the 4th, but if I come up on the tuesday can I register then?

jkeire wrote: »
    One more question, well, from me anyway. As I said before, my day of meetings and guides is the 4th, but if I come up on the tuesday can I register then?

Nope, you'll be registered with your group on the second day (4th)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

ninty9er wrote: »
    Nope, you'll be registered with your group on the second day (4th)

ok so, but if I'm staying in Cappavilla could I still go to the gigs at night without the official UL ID? Would there be any benefits at all to going up on tuesday?

Thanks a million for all the advice!!

jkeire wrote: »
    ok so, but if I'm staying in Cappavilla could I still go to the gigs at night without the official UL ID? Would there be any benefits at all to going up on tuesday?

Thanks a million for all the advice!!

Bring alternative ID just in case, but they're fairly lenient in Week 0 reagrding UL ID

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

The Gestapo, sorry SS have come to know this problem and the default password is now date of birth, which they didn't tell guides last year, which caused mass confusion in the Library.:rolleyes:

Interesting granted it still doesn't solve the problem I mean you're going to make friends in college and eventually you're going to find out what their birthday is. Oh well **** happens I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Starting in Mech Eng. :D ,still have got any info tho. Ah well the usual for Ireland the closer you live to the person sending you the mail the longer it takes to arrive.

Does anyone know what the windsurf club is like when it comes to ordinary surfers ?

toushea wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the windsurf club is like when it comes to ordinary surfers ?

The windsurfers are great craic. Always doing something. They've just moved base from Galway to Castelgregory and they accomodate most people

C&S recruitment is on in the Arena Wednesday Week 1 (10th Spetember) from 6-9pm

• Advertisement

The windsurfers are great craic. Always doing something. They've just moved base from Galway to Castelgregory and they accomodate most people

C&S recruitment is on in the Arena Wednesday Week 1 (10th Spetember) from 6-9pm

Thanks for that ahh CastleG memories.Pity im shocking at the old windsurfing but i always have the surfboard i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

just so you know torrent ports are blocked in courtyard village too.... as for applied computing and network technolgies rmac you could of done the course well the old version of the course which was itt ... ITT class of 2008 actually were the dummy year for ACNT and at times were really given crap lectures.. but that happens with everyone.. as long as u give feedback you get things sorted... also all ACNT or other ECE dept course students get a free dell laptop with a sum of €100 for software and that i think... befriend Eoin ( b2005a) is his office.. he runs cisco etc... hes always good to help when your in a rut with a lecturer and is goood for a bitch too... on another note... if you meet the right people you can get full network access in the ECE labs leadin you to be able to use torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Nutty wrote: »
    befriend Eoin ( b2005a) is his office.. he runs cisco etc...

He was sound alright.

as for applied computing and network technolgies rmac you could of done the course well the old version of the course which was itt ...

Aye yeah I guess I could have done it but as I said no regrets about doing Comp Sys and I ended up working as a network engineer anyway.
    befriend Eoin ( b2005a) is his office.. he runs cisco etc... hes always good to help when your in a rut with a lecturer and is goood for a bitch too... on another note... if you meet the right people you can get full network access in the ECE labs leadin you to be able to use torrents

Ah yes good ol' Eoin he was a good laugh, had him for labs in 3rd year and also did part of the CCNA course with himself too. Very helpful and a good sense of humour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

just so you know torrent ports are blocked in courtyard village too....

damn, well as long as its just torrents I'll survive. Msn messenger, skype and rapidshare will all work (hopefully)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

damn, well as long as its just torrents I'll survive. Msn messenger, skype and rapidshare will all work (hopefully)

Rapidshare will almost certainly work, as its HTTP.... I'd like to seem them block port 80 and see what response they get! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote: »
    Rapidshare will almost certainly work, as its HTTP.... I'd like to seem them block port 80 and see what response they get! :D
    RS will but unless you have a premium account you're prolly gonna be stuck in a queue of folks all using ULs IP range so only one download at a time iirc

kaimera wrote: »
    RS will but unless you have a premium account you're prolly gonna be stuck in a queue of folks all using ULs IP range so only one download at a time iirc

Aye if your try it from a college connection or even some place like Brookfield you'll run into that problem as it will appear as if your IP address is trying to do multiple downloads which free Rapidshare doesn't allow so it'll be somewhat of a hit and miss venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 onesocks

*large audible sigh*

I miss my UL days.

I have no valuable input to the thread. Just an old man's lingering thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

going on a wild one here, anyone here in 2nd year of LM083, Applied Computing and Networking. what's the timetable like on monday and friday, so i can plan buses..im a transfer so I havn't registered yet to access the timetable system.

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Evo wrote: »
    going on a wild one here, anyone here in 2nd year of LM083, Applied Computing and Networking. what's the timetable like on monday and friday, so i can plan buses..im a transfer so I havn't registered yet to access the timetable system.

thanks.

If you have the modules, and the module codes, that you are going to be studying you can check them individually, and that way you can makeup your own timetable.
    You will more than likely do that anyways, even when given your timetable, cos you can move tutorials...[Not necessarily in all courses, but may be possible]

Sorry just a quick question, I've everything I need to bring with me for the registration but i'm unsure of one thing, there asking for ''part A of your CAO offer'', what is that, I had a little thing from the cao saying my application number, my course accepted but im not sure if it is what there looking for.

Sorry just a quick question, I've everything I need to bring with me for the registration but i'm unsure of one thing, there asking for ''part A of your CAO offer'', what is that, I had a little thing from the cao saying my application number, my course accepted but im not sure if it is what there looking for.

This is the letter you received the day of the first round offers,the one that allows you to post your acceptance of a course, Part A is the top half.The top of this page is labeled offer notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moonbeam9999

It's on the fee paying document.When you pay your fees at the bank,they keep Part C, you keep Part A, Part B goes to the University on the day of registration,as proof that you paid your fees

toushea wrote: »
    This is the letter you received the day of the first round offers,the one that allows you to post your acceptance of a course, Part A is the top half.The top of this page is labeled offer notice

God i've no idea what I did with that, I did it through the internet and possibly threw away that sheet, I only have the one that shows I accepted the course.
    It's on the fee paying document.When you pay your fees at the bank,they keep Part C, you keep Part A, Part B goes to the University on the day of registration,as proof that you paid your fees

No I have that, thats a different thing.

Edit: just rang UL admissions, they said the thing I have will be fine.

thanks for the help

Oh right,now I must look for it,what course are u doing,

business studies with german.

business studies with german.

business studies and french,it seems everybody is taking german,we will prob be in same bus. lectures.
    Is there anyone out there doing businesss and french and where u staying?

Ya probably be in a few of your lectures alright, I went for german because I did it all through secondary school and love the language and the country.

Was very late for applying for accommodation so didnt get on campus, got a place off campus called the courtyard, looks really nice

what about you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 onesocks

Business and German, and Business and French have all the core modules together, along with all the general Business Students.

In fact, if the course is anything like when I started (2003) ye will also be lumped in with Accounting and finance as well for the first year, in the concert hall.
    500 students in 2-3 modules never a chance of being pulled out for a question... unless John Heneghan is still around, don't ever step out of line with that man, he can make you feel -> <- small :)

Is next week Freshers week?

Also, I sound like all old schoolers, but seriously look into all the Clubs and Societies in UL, there is something for everyone, and it's always good to have a group of non class friends to hang out with*

*Get twisted with during the day:D

Advertisement