Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congrats & Welcome newbs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

I got in! I'm doing HPSS too!

I'm a guy, I just need to arrange accomodation!

But I'm just wondering what subjects I pick and can someone give a brief overview of each subject.

I'll be doing History for sure anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

But I'm just wondering what subjects I pick and can someone give a brief overview of each subject.

Get on to campus accommodation, I hear they got a lot of cancelations and theres a good chances there will still be rooms available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Humanities courses are registering on Thursday.
    I believe the Engineering ones are on Wednesday.

Business and Sciences tomorrow I think. Have the list in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Try Thomond village on campus, reception said there's a lot of cancellations there... I'm doin HPSS too btw. See ya round!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

By the way has anyone here done Computer Systems?Any tips on how to be one of the surviving 25%?

I graduated from it last year along with a few others who frequent the forum. It's a good course and as for tips as to how to be one of the surviving 25%, tbh there isn't a silver bullet for this.

Put the work in, go to your lectures, labs, tutorials and get all your assignments and projects in (especially the latter three, I'll explain in a moment). Keep up with the material you're covering in lectures and most importantly in 1st and 2nd year get and keep a definite handle on maths and programming as this will definitely stand to you.

To come back to my first point and the emphasis on tutorials, labs and assignments. Lots of lecturers will give out assignments in tutorials that will end up counting toward your final result for that module. It's the same for labs e.g. there are lab excercises that count toward your final grade most modules will also have some sort of project that will be given during the semester that could count for a significant amount of marks.

If you put the work in in these areas you could potentially pass the module before you walk into the final exam so keep a handle on them.

Most of all enjoy your time in UL, you don't have to be buried in your room studying constantly to get on well in the course and that is speaking from experience, know when to sacrifice the odd night out in aid of doing some work and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Orientation and Enrolement (attendance necessary)

Tuesday - Business and Education

Wednesday - Science and Engineering

Thursday - Arts (Law courses, PA and the like) + BSc Economics and Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Thanks!

I remember going to UL on an open day and I loved it. I just forgot one thing.

Do they have a swimming pool and gym on campus? (or nearby preferably in between 5-15minute walking distance) And what times do they close at?

I enjoy late night swimming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Thanks!

I remember going to UL on an open day and I loved it. I just forgot one thing.

Do they have a swimming pool and gym on campus? (or nearby preferably in between 5-15minute walking distance) And what times do they close at?

I enjoy late night swimming :)

Yes there is a gym and a 50m olympic pool on campus which opens until 11 or 11:30 during the week if i remeber correctly.Their number is

061 213555

toushea wrote: »
    Yes there is a gym and a 50m olympic pool on campus

Not quite...some idiot forgot to allow 1mm for grout either end so it's 49.98m tiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

ninty9er wrote: »
    Not quite...some idiot forgot to allow 1mm for grout either end so it's 49.98m tiled.

Surely 49.998 m ???. I actually think its 52m in total length and they use the floating section with the starting "blocks" to adjust the pool length.Could be wrong though

• Advertisement

toushea wrote: »
    Surely 49.998 m ???. I actually think its 52m in total length and they use the floating section with the starting "blocks" to adjust the pool length.Could be wrong though

As far as I know it's only depth adjustable. That said I've only ever been in it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Wait a sec, how would the tiling lead you to presume the length of the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

Ok so I just paid for my fees last night and got no receipt by email, thank god the printer was working- for once! You are supposed to get a receipt I presume, they take your email.

Can you pick any of your subjects already, when I go into the 'current students' section on the UL website the only options it gives me is to pay (already done) nothing about subject choice or timetable choice etc.

My orientation starts Thursday I'm just worried that I will be left with all the crap choices..I want to do languages as my choice subjects.

Is there anything you can do before enrolling? I take it your first day of orientation is the designated day for enrolling and you can't do it before that?

Any advice on languages would be much appreciated also.

I'm doing law plus.I'm so dam excited about going to UL its unreal! Limerick here I come!

plumlover wrote: »
    Can you pick any of your subjects already.

My orientation starts Thursday I'm just worried that I will be left with all the crap choices..I want to do languages as my choice subjects.

You get that sorted during week one as far as I remember, you won't be left with "crap choices". You just pick the modules you want to do i.e. you'll have mandatory modules and then elective ones so you pick the electives you want. For example you might have 3 mandatory modules and 2 electives so you pick your two electives from list of options you are given.

ok cool well thats good to know!

Spank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ninty9er wrote: »
    As far as I know it's only depth adjustable. That said I've only ever been in it once.

you can adjust the length as well the bit at the deep end can be floated to half the length of the pool

there is/was a rumour that because it was part funded by government they could use it whenever they wanted for national competitions or whatever for free so 'apparently' to make it 'useless' to the government they made it a tiny bit too short to stop it being useful for long course competitions

i dont think the rumor is true though to be honest

back on topic

welcome noobs

Spank you!

If you come to the BULBS you can (spank me that is) :)

In before the obvious joke from either Mossin, kaimera, Peteee, The Don or Otacon :p.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

rmacm wrote: »

In before the obvious joke from either Mossin, kaimera, Peteee, The Don or Otacon :p.

I hope plum lover is a guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

/readys perfect anecdote to use this quote against Rory...

/...and the motivation is now gone... bast*rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Wonderful, forgot my keyboard. Oh well, On-Screen Keyboard for the week..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Wonderful, forgot my keyboard. Oh well, On-Screen Keyboard for the week..

If you're desperate theres a PC World about 20 mins walk from UL near the parkway.

Alternatively steal one from the many computer labs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Peteee wrote: »
    If your desperate theres a PC World about 20 mins walk from UL near the parkway.

Alternatively steal one from the many computer labs!
    reported for advocating theft of college property :/

fo'shame

plumlover is a girl.

plumlover is a girl.

Just incase I caused any offence with my spanking suggestion I wasn't actually serious.....long standing joke on the forum.

As others have said the BULBS are a good laugh and an excellent way to meet new people so try and come along.

Peteee for shame suggesting that people steal keyboards from the labs (granted I did once make off with a monitor from CSIS, I did ask first though).

No offense taken. I'm not coming down to Limerick until Weds- so I think I will miss it, the BULBS that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

plumlover is a girl.

Excellent!!

In before FM has a chance to comment!

But seriously welcome to UL, I'm sure you'll love your 4 years here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

No thats not Limerick, thats a pool in Galway, they made it 49.9m and it has to be 50m for it to be olympic

ninty9er wrote:
    Photo Soc is a small society but a good one. They provide photography for a lot of other clusb and socs events and RAG week etc....Clubs and socs recruitment is on Wednesday week from 6 to 9 in the Arena.

OPC is very popular, MBUL less so but with a more regular following. OPC tends to get a lot of drifters along with the long haulers.

Thanks for the reply.I'll have to think about the photo soc.From what I can see once you join you're obligated into doing free work for various applicants.Choosing between the MBUL and the OPC will be a tough one.Mountain biking is my first love but then again I'm better at rock climbing.Why can't one of them have outings on Saturday and the other on Sunday :mad:
    rmacm wrote:
    I graduated from it last year along with a few others who frequent the forum. It's a good course and as for tips as to how to be one of the surviving 25%, tbh there isn't a silver bullet for this.

Put the work in, go to your lectures, labs, tutorials and get all your assignments and projects in (especially the latter three, I'll explain in a moment). Keep up with the material you're covering in lectures and most importantly in 1st and 2nd year get and keep a definite handle on maths and programming as this will definitely stand to you.

To come back to my first point and the emphasis on tutorials, labs and assignments. Lots of lecturers will give out assignments in tutorials that will end up counting toward your final result for that module. It's the same for labs e.g. there are lab excercises that count toward your final grade most modules will also have some sort of project that will be given during the semester that could count for a significant amount of marks.

If you put the work in in these areas you could potentially pass the module before you walk into the final exam so keep a handle on them.

Most of all enjoy your time in UL, you don't have to be buried in your room studying constantly to get on well in the course and that is speaking from experience, know when to sacrifice the odd night out in aid of doing some work and you'll be fine.

Thanks for all the detail rmacm.Not sure if I'll make it through (I'm more of a crammer than a consistent studier) but it'll be an interesting year nonetheless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

No offense taken. I'm not coming down to Limerick until Weds- so I think I will miss it, the BULBS that is.

We start Monday though. :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

We start Monday though. :S

Sure let her start as she means to continue :p

But yeah wtf is with that, we do start next monday, [8th] and I cant wait tbh :)

Advertisement