Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diamond, Omnia or something else?

• 18-08-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all, decided to try something different this time having had a long list of nokia s60 symbian devices.

Im struggling to decide between the touch diamond or the samsung omnia, iphone 3g is out i think as i hear 3g reception sucks and im with 3!

ive read all the reviews but im still none the wiser, storage isnt an issue, large res screen (but smaller physical size) on diamond sounds nice, crap battery doesnt,

that said lots of support and apps on xda dev.

what say ye boardsies? anyone got either?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I have the diamond and it's a great device.
    Battery is ok, I get about 2 days from mine.
    But i have wi-fi and bluetooth turned off.
    The interface is really slick and easy to use.
    I'd highly recommend it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,131 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

do you use gps much?

is the battery better or worse than say an n95?

hows the screen for browsing etc?

thank you :)

Hi,
    I don't use GPS at the moment.
    I mainly use if dor browsing the net and listening to music.
    And calls and txts :)
    I have got 3 days out of the battery by not using the music player.
    Not soo sure about how that compares to the N95, I'd say it's pretty similar.
    The screen is fine for browsing, it comes with Opera 9 which is pretty nifty and has a good zoom function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

another diamond user here. after a few days getting used to not having a regular keypad I have to say that its a pleasure to use for messaging, browsing and of course for phone calls as well. battery isn't an issue for me as I use the diamond as a gps for work so its plugged into the car most of the time. I was waiting for a windows mobile device to arrive that was this small and had a better interface. be sure to flash the latest rom if you go for it. highly recommended in general! wrote this browsing with the diamond by the way.

cheers for the info lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

another diamond user here. after a few days getting used to not having a regular keypad I have to say that its a pleasure to use for messaging, browsing and of course for phone calls as well. battery isn't an issue for me as I use the diamond as a gps for work so its plugged into the car most of the time. I was waiting for a windows mobile device to arrive that was this small and had a better interface. be sure to flash the latest rom if you go for it. highly recommended in general! wrote this browsing with the diamond by the way.

Heard the battery and call quality were not the best:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-touch-diamond/4505-6452_7-33089238.html?tag=prod.txt.1

was looking at the LG Secret myself but don't see a release date yet...
    http://www.mobilegazette.com/lg-secret-kf750-08x04x24.htm

I have to day the call quality is perfect on mine, and the battery is grand, mostly getting 2 days out of it.
    And cheers to wheresmybeaver about the ROM upgrade - I flashed mine last night and it's noticably faster and smoother

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I have to day the call quality is perfect on mine, and the battery is grand, mostly getting 2 days out of it.
    And cheers to wheresmybeaver about the ROM upgrade - I flashed mine last night and it's noticably faster and smoother

any idea when this phone is officially being released?

where?

here? might never be, or if it is something better will be aldready out :rolleyes:

that said o2 might have it?

Cyrus wrote: »
    where?

here? might never be, or if it is something better will be aldready out :rolleyes:

that said o2 might have it?
    I don't get it, why would nobody take up a potential iphone killer here in Ireland?
    From what I've read its been well accepted and priced pretty low in other countries.

Searched high and low for any mention of it in ireland but nothing only komplett or expansys?!?!

• Advertisement

The problem here is three fold.
    There is not enough demand from the Irish consumers to get the latest phones.
    There is not enough competition to encourage networks bringing out new phones to better each other.
    The networks take so long testing the phones and branding them with crap software that by the time they are released something better is available sim free.

I have got my last few phones sim free - availed of a upgrade with my network - unlocked it and sold it to pay towards it.

I'm sure a lot of people do the same...

Mik

Advertisement