Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

wheel bearings cost

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hey guys just a quick question. was quoted 210 euro to replace wheel bearing on one wheel does this sound about right? its a 98 toyota corrolla i was also informed that my brake pads desperately need to be replaced today depite the nct last week saying my brakes are grand. another 150 euro to hand over this afternoon. am i right to be sceptical or do the nct not inspect brake pads? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Cost me 80 quid to do a front wheel bearing on my old golf. 150 quid to do a set of pads is scandilous, time to find a new mechanic I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Get someone elce to look at the brakes. It is possible that the NCT "missed" this but you should make sure and don't risk it.
    I'm not too sure about the price either. This can vary with different makes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Galmay wrote: »
    hey guys just a quick question. was quoted 210 euro to replace wheel bearing on one wheel does this sound about right? its a 98 toyota corrolla i was also informed that my brake pads desperately need to be replaced today depite the nct last week saying my brakes are grand. another 150 euro to hand over this afternoon. am i right to be sceptical or do the nct not inspect brake pads? thanks

The NCT test does not check brake pads. They check how efficient the brake operation is. Pads can perform well when in a very worn state so it is quite possible that they need to be replaced.

There is a bit of work involved in doing a front bearing, rear are easier. The price of the bearing, labour and vat could easily be up at the price level you were quoted. Did you price the bearing?

Brake pads are available in different qualities at very different prices.
    Labour is the part of the bill that could push the total up. The amount of labour will very much depend on how the mechanic operates. Just to fit front pads does not take very long but if he only does that and, for example, your rear brakes fail a few weeks later will you be happy? If he has any sense he will insist on inspecting the complete braking system. How long does it take to strip, inspect and rebuild? If he is doing all that for €150 inc new pads then you are getting very good value. If he is not doing all that then you probably need your brakes looked at properly.

Advertisement