Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jews in Dublin ?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hello all,

I'm from Israel and i might be coming to visit Ireland in Feburary, i don't know why it has been fascinating me for the past few years but i intend to find out.
    During my stay i would like to find work, i don't have a degree or anything, i'm just an electronics salesmen, but i'm willing to do pretty much anything considering it's only for 4-5 months or so.

do you guys know about the jewish community in Ireland ?
    how do they accept jews from other places ?
    do they have places to live there ? (what's the rent per month approx ?)
    is there any job i can get there considering i'm an outsider ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Basically there's a tiny Jewish community in Dublin, a google search is your best option for making contacts.

I'm not sure about work for people travelling from Israel, I know when friends of mine from Israel enquired they found it very difficult getting work.

JEWISH IRELAND

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Ang3lus

Thanks,

I got an EU passport, so that qualifies as a work permit right ?
    Will that help me get a job do you think ?

Sincerely,
    Ariel

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

EU passport from what country? But yes, as EU citizen you can work in Ireland. You will have to compete with all the other EU citizens here though.

Try looking for work before coming over, so you know what the market is like
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=jobs+ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Are you looking for Catholic Jews or Protestant Jews? :D

With a user like Angelus I though it'd be clear? ;)

• Advertisement

WindSock wrote: »
    Are you looking for Catholic Jews or Protestant Jews? :D

That joke will be lost on an Israeli coming over here.

Ariel I take it your considering coming to Dublin, if so drop me a PM when your coming and I'll try help you out further.

What part of Israel are you from?.

If your from the north the weather here will probably be better in Febuary than in the Galilee, the food won't be as good and the women - well I'll leave that for you to discover yourself!.

i'm from the centre

I live in Rehovot
    it's a 20 mins drive from Tel-aviv

I LIKE cold weather, it's very hot here during the summer, can reach 30c+ a lot of the times, i'm sitting in a room now with the air conditioner @ 20c

and you were right, i didn't get the joke :rolleyes:

I have German Citizenship btw

thanks Mairt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Earlier this year I helped a man from Tel Aviv find an old colleague he hadn't seen in 30 years by contacting the Jewish museum. Luckily the guy was a Hebrew and Talmud teacher so he was pretty well known in the community. The number of Jews here is way down from its peak around 1900, mainly due to the lack of marriage opportunities causing young people to go to Israel or the UK.

There is no real geographical quarter any more apart from the suburbs of Terenure and Rathgar where there's an Orthodox synagogue and a multi-denominational school which was originally founded by Jews. An area called Portobello closer to the city centre would have been the main Jewish quarter in the past and there's still a very well known Kosher bakery there called the Bretzel Bakery; you can still see the occasional Mezuzah over doors if you walk around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

my grandmother was a russian jew who married a plain old russian.

the jewish community used to be *not large* but in Dublin there was about 5,000 jews who then emmigrated to UK and US.

The Quakers were Jewish I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

:confused:

• Advertisement

Ang3lus wrote: »
    and you were right, i didn't get the joke :rolleyes:

Oh it wasn't an offensive joke, its an old one from the 'war in Northern Ireland. It goes something like....

A gunman walks up to a guy in Belfast and puts a gun to his head. Before pulling the trigger the gunman asks ''Are you a Catholic or a Protestant?"... The man thinks quickly to himself and says "I'm Jewish" (thinking that saves his life) "Are you a Catholic or a Protestant Jew?" asks the gunman :D

Well if you like cold weather your gonna love Ireland :o

Oh, our beer is much better than that Maccabe or Gold Star sh*t you have there :p

my grandmother was a russian jew who married a plain old russian.

the jewish community used to be *not large* but in Dublin there was about 5,000 jews who then emmigrated to UK and US.

Quakers are protestants.

gold star ? beer ?

i always thought it's a piss sample :)

we only have guiness here actually, but i drink heineken occasionally

i can't wait till feburary

gold star ? beer ?

i always thought it's a piss sample :)

we only have guiness here actually, but i drink heineken occasionally

i can't wait till feburary

I've drank your Guinness, its terrible!.

I drank in Mikes Place (Tel Aviv) and had just returned to Ireland when it was hit by a suicide bomber :mad:

Mmmm, the falafels in Ashkelon yum yum
    Btw, Gold Star is better than Maccabee beer :D

lol
    i woulden't go near .il made beers
    never have, never will
    mike's place is still going strong :)
    even after the bombing, that was way back when right ? 2002 or something ?

and shawarma > falafel :)

Dammit I wanna go back to Israel now :(

Absolutely the best place I've ever been to.

It really went downhill

paycheck are way low, taxes are way high, people are grumpy cause of it, state of the government is BAD, prime minister under investigation.

there must be a god, cause it's ONE HUGE MIRACLE we are still standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

If you give me a PM when you get here we can arrange for a couple of history types I know to give you a tour of the old Jewish quarters of Dublin. I grew up in and around Clanbrassil Street. Even in m youth I remember two Kosher butchers operating there. It was known locally as "Little Jerusalem" and had three Temples that I can remember. There was even a delicatessan where you could buy the best pickles I ever tasted :).

boneless wrote: »
    If you give me a PM when you get here we can arrange for a couple of history types I know to give you a tour of the old Jewish quarters of Dublin. I grew up in and around Clanbrassil Street. Even in m youth I remember two Kosher butchers operating there. It was known locally as "Little Jerusalem" and had three Temples that I can remember. There was even a delicatessan where you could buy the best pickles I ever tasted :).

There was a recent walking tour of 'Little Jerusalem' recently which I missed.

Do you know anything about it, and if there's another planned for anytime soon?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I heard about it after the event. I know the Heritage Service are conducting a survey in the area, so watch this space... I may be giving a tour myself :)! I'll PM you if it happens. But join us on one of the informal ones by all means.

Myself and some some post medieval archaeologists are known to have wee walks around the city followed by pints in a decent pub or two!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Don't like goldstar?Lo? Ma pi ton! Crate of Goldstar and a pack of noblesse and it's happy out.
    Ang work has dried up a bit here but there are still many options if one's not fussy and, like you, not degree educated in a specific field. Accommodation sharing is do-able but probably outta question on a lower salary to get a half decent place for yourself.
    There has been a growing Israeli population in last few years. I know there are quite a few in Google and've even come across a few engineers like myself in construction.
    Be prepared for every Irish person to think it's fully within thier right to give every Israeli an ear-bashing about palestinians. It's painful. Not aggressive just a pain in the hole.
    The weed here doesn't come close either. Bring Gortex and forget any notion of keeping kosher. Good place though.

would spending 1100 euros every month would be suffice living in Ireland ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

would spending 1100 euros every month would be suffice living in Ireland ?

Try doubling that and you'll get by in Dublin.

hehe, whoa

so a minimum wage job isn't enough for anything i suppose?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

hehe, whoa

so a minimum wage job isn't enough for anything i suppose?

You'd need 2 minimum wage jobs to get by over here!!

Best wishes with the move, and welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mairt wrote: »
    Basically there's a tiny Jewish community in Dublin
    Although small, they are quite powerful and influential in comparison to their numbers. It's not so long since we had 3 Jewish TDs* in the Dail**.

(Ang3lus - *TD = Irish Member of Parliament
    **Dail = Irish Parliament)

so it's like Israel then
    dublin is just a bit above Tel Aviv in prices, most .il is in TA prices right now, you'd need 2 minimum wage salaries to get by.

but if i'd get a studio one bedroom apartment and a minimum wage job, shoulden't that be enough ?

• Advertisement

around 600 euros for an ok apartment and another 400-500 for food ?
    are those apartments terrible or ok ?

I doubt they could be worse than what i had in the army

Advertisement