Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another question..still confused!

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi there

Was looking into this course as a starting point

http://www.cit.ie/parttime.cfm/secti...e/Courses.html

Has a bit of everything

I would like to get into sys admin role..junior for a start and see how things go...

Could do the ccna/ msca as well just wanted to fast track things a bit

Maybe start with MCTS: Vista (exam 70-620)

Thanks
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

wheres the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Part of the reply to this on a previous thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56939756&postcount=23

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Sorry lads forgot to add question

I need to know best way through courses study to get into a junior sys admin role

Is this through CCNA/ MCSA

Or could I do Exam 70-620 Windows Vista, Configuring

And CISCO IT/Essentials 2/COMPTIA Server +

Thanks
    Noel

Some junior system admin roles dont require any certs at all.. just between 0 and 2 years experience and a base computing/it related degree..

If you dont have that, you may have to supplement this with training and some certifications.

The more info you give us, the better of a reply you will get.

Your quickest way is applying to certain jobs and see what the recruiters say, whether they could place you in that sort of role or whether its better to get some certs/experience..

What experience have you?

• Advertisement

Hi there

Ive got a diploma from Cork IT in IT Support

Ive also a BSc in Agricultural Science useless I know but I think Im better going for some sort of certification as a pose to finishing and getting IT degree

This is a shortcut to my diploma, includes a module on networking

http://www.cit.ie/parttime.cfm/section/details/id/91/nkey/3//action/page/aID/188/CatName/Courses.html

I working in various call centres at level 1

Thats it im afraid no other certs so looking for some advice as where to go

Thanks
    Noel

All experience counts..

So for System Admin most people focus on a particular vendor usually because its near impossible to be a cross on different techs.

So if you are a Windows head, head down the MCSA route.

A handy way of getting it, is to do the Vista exam first, as that will give you a handy MCTS (new generation MCP) to start you off.

Then get the Windows Server exam 70-290. Both of those combined should get you in the door.

I would say talk to a recruiter as well, as they will give you some advice on where to position yourself in the market.

Hi Ginger

Do you have any good websites etc for assistance on the mcsa

Did you read books etc?

How long would you think each MCP would take i could commit Id say 10-15 hours per week

Also is it worth doing 2003 as 2008 has been launched?

When are these MCPs available do you know?

Thanks
    Noel

With training for the MCSA, I cant give a lot of advice as I dont have it, I didnt take exam 70-291 to finish it. But then again I am a developer by trade so its not a requirement for my job.

As the MCSA is a collection of 4 exams that can be taken in any order its better to focus on a particular exam and its requirements.

The very easy MCSA path(TM)
    • 70-270 - Windows XP. This is your client exam
    • 70-620 - Windows Vista. This is your elective
    • 70-290 - Windows Server 2003. This is your server exam #1
    • 70-291 - Windows Server 2003 AD. This is your server exam #2

As for resources, there are plenty of training kits from MS Press that help a lot. Also having access to the software in the form of Virtual Machines using Virtual PC 2007 and using the trial versions of the server software.

You can also use MeasureUp and buy a sample exam to give yourself a baseline on where you are in your study and how far you have to go.

Each exam is different and depends on your ability and your experience. Being honest, I did the Vista exam with just 5 evenings ramp-up including 1 weekend. But then again, I spend a lot of time troubleshooting for people at home and I have done a lot of MS exams and have learned how to read the questions.

70-290 I did after 3-4 weeks, but I was at the time up to my eyes setting up a testing network on Virtual Server 2005, so by the time I took the exam, I built a complete domain up from scratch comprising of over 20 servers, including DC, seperate Exchange, SQL and various application server boxes. I had also the images sysprep'd for quicker deployment. So that exam was a lot easier for me because of that. And I have a lot of experience on servers in general coming from the days of NT3.51

As I said it does depend on what your focus is, your overall ability to do the exams as they require a skill in themselves on learning how to read the questions and answering the "Microsoft" way.

Probably doesnt answer your questions fully, but its a case of everyone is different when it comes to exams

There are a couple of MCTS certifications available for Windows Server 2008.

The certs that you can get are the following
    The MCSA/MCSE on 2003 is still quite valid at the moment as there is not a lot of people who have upgraded their server infrastructure to 2008 yet.

You can always get the 2003 certs and then upgrade to 2008 when you need to.

Some of the people who frequent here have these already I think and they would be in a better position to help you out on the whole 2003 vs 2008 debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Ginger wrote: »
    As the MCSA is a collection of 4 exams that can be taken in any order its better to focus on a particular exam and its requirements.

The very easy MCSA path(TM)
    • 70-270 - Windows XP. This is your client exam
    • 70-620 - Windows Vista. This is your elective
    • 70-290 - Windows Server 2003. This is your server exam #1
    • 70-291 - Windows Server 2003 AD. This is your server exam #2

Sorry to jump in here but, if I do these 4 exams its MCSA? Just to clarify as I'm not too sure about the various exams/ paths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

clio_16v wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but, if I do these 4 exams its MCSA? Just to clarify as I'm not too sure about the various exams/ paths

Yes, if you pass those four exams you will be an MCSA.

Although you could choose a differant client OS exam and a differant Elective exam. Ginger is just giving you possibly the easiest way.

Have a read here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

Have a look around that site for the other certification paths.

Advertisement