Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advise on Insurance and New Car

Options
  • 18-08-2008 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im picking up a car today from A garage in Rathmines, looking forward to it,
    Im trading in my old banger to them Which is great, but what to I do about my insurance, Im With Quinn, I have rang them up and told them they have Added to the car to my setup and I will ring them later when I get the new car, and sort that out, Im asssuming I take my old insurance disk? since its
    not for the new car, I Will just leave it in the new Car,, any advise?

The New Car is taxed till 03 09, do i just contact the tax office and tell them
    to switch the tax to me now or What Should i do? or Will the log book being sent away sort this out?

Thanks All

R

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. Insurance. Do a permanent substitution.

2/. Tax. Dealer will send VLC to Shannon and a new one will then issue to you. Tax it on receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Once you hand over the keys for your old car, ring up the insurance company and transfer the insurance over to your new car straight away. Take your insurance disk with you - but the garage will tell you this anyway.

Tax - unfortunately tax stays with the old car, so you'll have to wait until the ownership registration cert is sent to you from Shannon and you can tax it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Thanks, Tinkerbell and Henry

K Have the insurance sorted, And The Tax will not be out until the March 09,
    So Im Assuming I dont have To tax it Till then just fill in the forms RF tax forms I think and Im sorted, or do i need to tax it form when i recieve the ownership forms back from Shannon?

Thanks again

R

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks, Tinkerbell and Henry

K Have the insurance sorted, And The Tax will not be out until the March 09,
    So Im Assuming I dont have To tax it Till then just fill in the forms RF tax forms I think and Im sorted, or do i need to tax it form when i recieve the ownership forms back from Shannon?

Thanks again

R

The dealer should get you to sign the "Change of Ownership" section of the Vehich Licencing Cert and then post it off to the DOE in Shannon. It generally takes about 2 to 3 weeks but may take longer before Shannon will post you out a new VLC which will have your name and address on it declaring you are the new registered owner of the car. Since the car is taxed until March 2009 you should not have to tax it again until it expires.

Advertisement