Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 won't let me downgrade tarriff until November?

• 18-08-2008 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    I am moving to the US in October, which is sort of unexpected,
    I bought a contract with 3 on May 10th,
    I tried to downgrade to the lowest tarriff today and pay out the rest of the contract while i am over there (€20 a month or whatever)

They told me i coud not downgrade until November 10th?

Is that right?

Do i have any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

It would probably say on your contract. What's very unfair with those things though is that they won't let you downgrade but there's no trouble to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Recon wrote: »
    It would probably say on your contract. What's very unfair with those things though is that they won't let you downgrade but there's no trouble to upgrade.

the OP would have got a phone very cheap by signing up to a high tariff. why should the network let him sign up to a high tariff to get a phone cheaply and then drop the next month?

the 6 month thing is standard for all networks i'm afraid and there's no way around it other than pleading

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kwikksilva

thanks for the feedback lads, will try and plead!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kwikksilva wrote: »
    thanks for the feedback lads, will try and plead!
    Plead all you like. You arent gonna get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 kwikksilva

Phone cost €29 at sign up time, i will have paid about €300 in bills by November, and then another €120 if i drop the tariff and keep paying for another 6 months while i am in the states. Which means the phone will have cost €420 incl. bills.

I think it would be best for me to get the redemption figure in November, and just pay it off. Rather than pay monthly while i am in the us for a phone i am not using.

Prolly get an iphone while in US anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

When I was with Three they wouldn't let you change tarrifs for 6 months as outlined in their Terms & Conditions at the time...not sure if this is charged.

Read the T&C's tbh :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

kwikksilva wrote: »
    Phone cost €29 at sign up time, i will have paid about €300 in bills by November, and then another €120 if i drop the tariff and keep paying for another 6 months while i am in the states. Which means the phone will have cost €420 incl. bills.

I think it would be best for me to get the redemption figure in November, and just pay it off. Rather than pay monthly while i am in the us for a phone i am not using.

Prolly get an iphone while in US anyway!

you could give the sim card to someone else for the 6 months and they could use up the minutes and pay the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you could give the sim card to someone else for the 6 months and they could use up the minutes and pay the bill.

+1
    And you could teach them how to use your phone so they can skype you for free from the states.....

Advertisement