Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy - what to feed it?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I adopted a Labrador pup from the DSPCA at the weekend. This is my first dog so would like some advice on what is the best food I can feed it, there are so many brands in the supermarket. Can you let me know what you think of puppy foods you are using?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

plenty of raw meat from the butchers is best, with some veg too. stay away from supermarket brands of food. if you are going to use a comercial dog food get nuts from a pet shop. i feed meat as often as i can but when i've none in i use dry nuts. a pup will need plenty of protein and protein = meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

If, like a lot of people, feeding raw isn't a viable option for you then buy a good brand of dog food from a pet shop. Royal Canin or James Wellbeloved are good brands to use, and you should find a specific food for the weight and age of your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 quinnj8

Thanks! I would prefer not to feed raw meet. Can I get these brands in the large grocery shops as I would like to be able to pick something up while doing my weekly shopping?

Usually you won't get these brands in a supermarket, so you will probably need to go to a pet shop. They come in large bags, so should last you a good while though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Qv

Sounds like your running before been able to walk.

You get a pet then ask about how to look after it:rolleyes:

Let me guess it was the andrex ad right.... Lil cute puppy... oh gotta get one of those.
    Actually that's unfair you rescued one, so kudos for that.

Mod edit: Cop yourself on.

Now look after that puppy cause you are it's world now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...nice post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

as noopti rightly said royal canin is a good starter for your new pup
    you could gradually introduce pedigree "puppy" as i found it great
    with mine, try to stay clear of totall protein ie mince etc, as from having a few animals myself it tends to make them hyper-active, badbreath etc,
    these dry foods have all the minerals and protein included.
    better for a small puppy though to add a little water to the nuts
    to make them less coarse..... enjoy ur little bundle!!!!!:)

Qv wrote: »
    Sounds like your running before been able to walk.

You get a pet then ask about how to look after it:rolleyes:

Let me guess it was the andrex ad right.... Lil cute puppy... oh gotta get one of those.
    Actualy that's unfair you rescued one, so kudos for that.

My advice instead of asking on here, where dopes will say feed it raw meat and other such helpful opinions, look on line stay away from forums.

Now look after that puppy cause you are it's world nnow.
    im a dope for saying feed raw meat. lots of people turning to the barf diet for there dogs. its what they evolved to eat. i feed plenty of meat and my dogs are in excellent shape.
    whats wrong with feeding meat? its totally natural. what should he feed a pup rusks and baby milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

whitser wrote: »
    im a dope for saying feed raw meat. lots of people turning to the barf diet for there dogs.

I think getting a balanced barf diet is a bit more complicated than simply stuffing a dog with raw meat, it certainly seemed that way when I was looking into it a couple of years ago;)

Did the rescue not offer any kind of dietary advice when handing over the pup? I use James Wellbeloved dry food, you'll get a 15kg bag for about €55.

No one said you are a dope for feeding raw meat, so calm down a bit. All I said was that a lot of people do not feel they can feed raw.

If you can feed raw, fair dues. If not, then use good pet food. Simple.

• Advertisement

i dint say stuff the pup with raw meat. i said give him meat and veg.
    i've had this debate before about meat vs dry food. and i'll say this 30 yrs ago processed food hit our shelves its was great. since then we know that rubbish. natural food is best, dogs have evolved to eat meat,some greens,eggs etc.. dry food is only around the last 30 or 40 years if even,how did dogs survive for the last 10,000 yrs? in the wild bitches will throw up raw meat for pups to eat, not rusks or royal cannin.
    not feeding a dog whats best for him just cos it gives bad breath is a little selfish.

Noopti wrote: »
    No one said you are a dope for feeding raw meat, so calm down a bit. All I said was that a lot of people do not feel they can feed raw.

If you can feed raw, fair dues. If not, then use good pet food. Simple.
    no the poster qv said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

It is a good idea to look for the food that has the least grain in it as possible. No grain is best, but failing that look for one that uses higher quality grain, like rice. Go for something that says gluten free if you can find it.

You won't find any decent quality foods in the supermarkets, but you could always buy online if you don't want to have to pop into your local pet store. In general a 15kg of decent quality food should last you at least a month, probably longer at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Qv perma banned for abusive behaviour and reposting a post after a mod has already editted a post.

Advertisement