Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For guitarists and bassists regarding tone. . .

• 18-08-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

How do you get your tone? What piece of equipment is the most important in your chain? Also a lot of it is to do with how you set up your equipment/eq setting. Anyone have any tips that they find useful?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

IMO your amp is the single most important component in the tone chain. You can play a top of the range guitar through a low grade amp and it wont sound great. If you play a low grade guitar through a good amp it will (should) sound quite good.

As for eq settings, that's a matter of personal taste. Most people set the eq at flat and tweak from there 'till they get what (or as near to) what they want.

With my bass amp, if I want a little more bass I roll off the treble a bit instead of increasing the bass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i find overdrive pedals are a big thing for my tone, and ur amp of corse... little compression, Little chorus, little delay and a pretty warm eq setting i guess... i love the tone in my video link below ;) ... it rocks

apart from the whole tone in your fingers jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

ah yeh amps play the biggest role in a rig....especially clean anyway cause you can get some amazing sounds from stomp boxes distortion wise. i like my eq balaned everything at 5 and set the gain to 11 and im all set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I prefer to set my amps eq flat and let my basses volume, tone and/or EQ do the rest of the work for tweaking. I use pedals but only to supplement my rig. Such as for extra sounds that it can't provide, like chorus, wah and occasionally fuzz. For pure overdriven/distortion sounds I rely on my amp.

My tone is the sum of all pieces in the signal chain, myself included. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Cmc29 wrote: »
    How do you get your tone? What piece of equipment is the most important in your chain? Also a lot of it is to do with how you set up your equipment/eq setting. Anyone have any tips that they find useful?
    The question of whether the amp or the guitar is more important is probably a bit like the chicken and the egg. My personal preference would be to play a good guitar through a bad amp. As regards tone, it depends on the sound I want but usually I'll leave the amp eq flat and use the tone knobs on the guitar. Other times I'll scoop the mids on the amp, whack on some distortion and wail away.

Along the lines of what Rigsby said, if you want to boost the low end eq, often you're better off reducing the high end or the mids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement