Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some advice

• 18-08-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hey.. just checked my offers.. I got law in Carlow woot :)

I have a slight problem tho.. I'm not the most financially sound man. I know for a fact that I will get the full non adjacent grant is 743euro a month. I'm wondering if that is enough to live in Carlow. I've checked for places to live already and I think I could afford that but I've never lived away from home before so I'm quite unsure about other costs like food college stuff etc.

Basically what I'm looking for in replies is either yeah of course you live on that and I accept the course, or no you can't and I don't.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Yeah you can live on that but it'd be a fairly frugal existence at times i.e. the end of the month.

I find that if I'm stuck with a certain amount of money to play around with, I'll make it last a lot longer than if I know there's another payday coming in a week.

To put it into perspective I was living in Carlow last year on about 900 per month, comfortably, but I was getting paid weekly so I knew how much I could or couldn't spend each week.

Hope this helps, best of luck making your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Cheers for the reply.

I always thinking that I could just as easily get a bus to and from Carlow each morning. I imagine it won't be fun travelling but I assume I'll get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

It'd say you could live on that but if you're unsure, you could always get a part-time job too couldn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Schism wrote: »
    Yeah you can live on that but it'd be a fairly frugal existence at times i.e. the end of the month.

Godfathers next week?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That and a part-time job will keep you going there fine.

The college also has a student assistance fund if things get really bad.

Accommodation and the cost of living in Carlow are so low compared to Dublin:)

Congrats on getting your course and good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You'll be grand, once you get the hang of being absolutely ridiculously tight with cash at the last week, you'll be ok. Get a job and live comfortably mate. there's usually a few floating around. Oh, and get used to living off noodles and cornflakes :D welcome to college :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Psycopat wrote: »
    Godfathers next week?

fo sho

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

Any advice on where to live?.. I was considering digs purely because I can pay for pretty much everything.. rent + bills + food in one go. Simplicity rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭RedXIV

digs if you're simply trying to be costeffective is probably your best bet BUT i have to tell you, from someone who suffered digs in 1st year, it's grand, very easy to deal with and like you say, no bills but god you're allowed no fun. its something else to actually have your own place to stay up till 4 in the morning watching cartoons with your friends coz you want to.

I'd recommend college green, southern gardens and green road as places to live. get a house, you might get lucky with housemates, i moved in with a model in 2nd year, she was loads of fun ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That and a part-time job will keep you going there fine.

The college also has a student assistance fund if things get really bad.

Accommodation and the cost of living in Carlow are so low compared to Dublin:)

Congrats on getting your course and good luck with it.

I'm intrigued by your sig, and wish to know more....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by your sig, and wish to know more....

Dude! You're so OUT OF THE LOOP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Dude! You're so OUT OF THE LOOP!!

So's YORE FACE!! :p

Ah sure, I've left carlow like 2 years ago, and I'm in Brisbane at the moment! Its hard to stay in the loop with all you hip young Carlovians veterans when you're 10359 miles away! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

750 is enough to live on.Rent should cost no more than 300 per month.
    Utilities no more than 100(if you are carefull about electricity usage).Food will cost no more than 150(if you do some shopping in one of the many aldis or lidl in carlow). . .
    Leaving you with about 200 to spend on recreational activities;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭RedXIII

RedXIV wrote: »
    You'll be grand, once you get the hang of being absolutely ridiculously tight with cash at the last week, you'll be ok. Get a job and live comfortably mate. there's usually a few floating around. Oh, and get used to living off noodles and cornflakes :D welcome to college :cool:

Haha I remember the night you brought me around Tescos showing me all of the bargains...priceless you know too much :D

I lived on around 800e euro a month myself as I decided to give my part-time job a break. Was only tight for cash a few times, ate alright, got takeaways now and then, did the drinking thing, have a nicotine addiction and rarely went home so that was 7 days a week pretty much.

Advertisement