Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swapping PS3 for 360

• 18-08-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭

I've had a PS3 for a few months now but the one console exclusive that interests me is Fable 2 so I'm considering swapping it for a 360. The PS3 is such a nice piece of hardware and the 360 seems fairly badly put together in comparison (great pad though) but its the games that makes the console at the end of the day.

My main concern though would be getting RROD. I know about the 3 year warranty and that Microsoft will handle shipping etc.. but the idea of going through all that seriously puts me off so I'm just wondering does anyone have an idea of the percentage of console affected? I heard a figure of about 15% but I think this was from MS themselves and the actual percentage seems way way higher. Is it pretty much guaranteed to happen eventually? Are word if the new 60GB version addresses any of the problems?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Oh how I long for a single format...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

I've had a PS3 for a few months now but the one console exclusive that interests me is Fable 2 so I'm considering swapping it for a 360. The PS3 is such a nice piece of hardware and the 360 seems fairly badly put together in comparison (great pad though) but its the games that makes the console at the end of the day.

My main concern though would be getting RROD. I know about the 3 year warranty and that Microsoft will handle shipping etc.. but the idea of going through all that seriously puts me off so I'm just wondering does anyone have an idea of the percentage of console affected? I heard a figure of about 15% but I think this was from MS themselves and the actual percentage seems way way higher. Is it pretty much guaranteed to happen eventually? Are word if the new 60GB version addresses any of the problems?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Oh how I long for a single format...

Yeh unfortunatley the failure rate is pretty high and the only difference in the 60gig is the memory and some of the stuff on the motherboard has been moved around.

If its only Fable 2 that you are after on the 360, would you not wait till it comes out on the PC in 1-2years time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    If its only Fable 2 that you are after on the 360, would you not wait till it comes out on the PC in 1-2years time?

Yeah that is an idea but me thinks I'd have to upgrade my PC so it would be cheaper to get a 360 and just have both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

The launch models had a fairly high failure rate, but why not go for an elite as they seem to be a lot more stable. You also have the 1 year back to the shop warranty and then the next 2 years back to MS, so you are well covered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The newer 360s (I.e falcon chips etc...) are less prone to breaking down although still not 100% relyable afaik, if you are interested in getting a xbox definately buy a new one as it should be allot more relyable and quiter

Nick

Yeah I heard that Elites were a little more reliable and quieter but I'm hoping the new 60gig one will have the same improvements, I mean MS must be getting killed with paying for all the repairs so surly it is in their interest!? And the new model also makes the Elite seem a little expensive now...

• Advertisement

The 60gig SKU does have the falcon chip in it aswell. Plus im sure some other games other Fable 2 might interest you.

Mass Effect?
    Lost Odyssey?

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    The 60gig SKU does have the falcon chip in it aswell. Plus im sure some other games other Fable 2 might interest you.

Mass Effect?
    Lost Odyssey?

Yeah I do agree that the 360 has the better selection of exclusive games, altough funnily enough I don't really care for Halo or Gears. I'm thinking I'll do the swap and just cross my fingers... Thanks for the help everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I traded my PS3 in last year for an Elite. It got the RROD last month but Gamestop exchanged it for me and gave me a new console.

Don't regret making the swap though. The hardware is lousy but the software more than makes up for it. Do it!

Yeah I do agree that the 360 has the better selection of exclusive games, altough funnily enough I don't really care for Halo or Gears. I'm thinking I'll do the swap and just cross my fingers... Thanks for the help everyone.

You choose wisely :D

silvine wrote: »
    I traded my PS3 in last year for an Elite. It got the RROD last month but Gamestop exchanged it for me and gave me a new console.

Don't regret making the swap though. The hardware is lousy but the software more than makes up for it. Do it!

Thats great they exchanged it, I'm less worried now. I've been lying awake thinking about the pros and cons, sad I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Yeah I heard that Elites were a little more reliable and quieter but I'm hoping the new 60gig one will have the same improvements, I mean MS must be getting killed with paying for all the repairs so surly it is in their interest!? And the new model also makes the Elite seem a little expensive now...

The elite is a tad quieter compared to the "standard" 360, but not by much. It still screams like a cat on heat when it's loading stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The elite is a tad quieter compared to the "standard" 360, but not by much. It still screams like a cat on heat when it's loading stuff.

That will be lees of a problem after the next big update when you can install games onto the HDD. Look at how quiet it is when you watch a DVD, play a demo or a Live Arcade game, its as quite as a PS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Look at how quiet it is when you watch a DVD, play a demo or a Live Arcade game, its as quite as a PS3.

That's debatable ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

new final fantasy is comming out for 360 aswell, that should help sway your vote aswell

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can I ask is that the only reason youre considering a 360.
    Im thinking of going the other way from 360 to ps3 mainly for the blueray,the fact that I can actually load my movies onto the harddrive to watch them and that most peeps I know have ps3`s these days and play online a fair bit.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Can I ask is that the only reason youre considering a 360.
    Im thinking of going the other way from 360 to ps3 mainly for the blueray,the fact that I can actually load my movies onto the harddrive to watch them and that most peeps I know have ps3`s these days and play online a fair bit.

Fable is the main reason god it better not be sh*t) but its also for the likes of Braid and its back catalogue of games, Dead Rising looks great fun etc.... No doubt the ps3 is a much better piece of kit, you'll notice how better built it is immediately and I think probably represents better value for money then the 360. I will probably end up buying it again down the line as I think its life span will be much greater then the 360 and its extra power under the hood will begin to make more and more of a difference once developers get to grips with it. But I simply want a games machine for the here and now and I think the 360 shades the PS3 in that regard. And I'm happy enough with my good'ol DVD player for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Keggers

I heard some where the Halo 3 consoles were the most reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

That will be lees of a problem after the next big update when you can install games onto the HDD. Look at how quiet it is when you watch a DVD, play a demo or a Live Arcade game, its as quite as a PS3.

Haven't watched a DVD or ran anything from the HDD in fairness (I've a PS3 for that :p) but even in somewhat idle mode in the menu system etc. it's about twice as noisy as the PS3 is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

i got a ps3 and my brother got a 360 so glad he did as i loved fable and can't wait to play co-op.

but don't trade it in the price they give you is ****ing **** if you can sell it youself go for it ,and buy a new one later when you want but the ps3 won't be getting cheaper for a long time so it may be good to keep it

the old 360 have a 33% falure rate and the new one have 10-16 % depending on whos numbers you look at.

ps3 got 0.1% (1 in 1000 )at least the 60gb did not sure of the 40gb or 80gb

I am tempted to save a little and just have both. Might not tell my girlfriend and just hope she doesn't notice...

• Advertisement
Advertisement