Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking in UCD

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

can someone please give me a quick overview of the parking situation in UCD.... preferably around the medicine and health sciences buildings, but overall in general..... is it any good?

times and prices etc.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

If you live within dublin, it is well worth your while considering cycling or bussing it.

Parking in UCD is a nightmare to put it lightly. It is split between pay and display (50c per hour) and free parking, but in general anytime after 10/11am and you will be doing laps along with everyone else to find a space.

I only ever parked around engineering, so I don't know what health sci is like around rush hour, but keep in mind the barrier along the owenstown entrance is down, effectively blocking the N11 and clonskeagh sides from each other.

If you dont need to, or can avoid it, dont drive! Its a headache unless you are always in for a 9am lecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Overview: Parking situation is bad. Don't drive in if you can avoid it.

There are currently too many cars for the number of spaces and no method of reserving spaces for staff and students. If you come in before 09.00 you might get a space but you can forget it from 10.00 onwards... be prepared for 30+ minutes circling.

Most carparks are free but there are also some pay and display ones.

Have a look at the UCD traffic website for gate and barrier times.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Yea its like all the other colleges, if your not in before 9 half 9, no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

If you arrive to college anytime between 10 and 2 youll need to allow at least an additional 30minutes to your journey time for doing laps looking for a space. The parking situation in ucd is god awful.

Oh, also, even if you do find parking a lot of the car parks in UCD are unmarked, half made gravel pit tragedies where youre quite likely to come back to your car to find it either surrounded by badly parked cars and unable to move, severly dented by some randomer who has since driven off, or clamped by overeager clampers who've determined one of your wheels is too near to a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Blut wrote: »
    Oh, also, even if you do find parking a lot of the car parks in UCD are unmarked, half made gravel pit tragedies where youre quite likely to come back to your car to find it either surrounded by badly parked cars and unable to move, severly dented by some randomer who has since driven off, .

Been in that situation and it's not nice, had to fork out over €500 to get it fixed and then to be told by the security staff that there is no CCTV in the area. This was in the car park beside the sports centre. Pretty annoying.

All in all, the parking isn't great but if you're in before 10 you should have no problem. There are also some car parks that you can usually find a place in between 10-12 but I wouldn't rely on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

You'll find yourself not bothering to go to college if you know you wont get a space/have to circle the grounds/queue up in the secret car park

Just regarding the latter is that the only car park were people sit and queue for a space, its amazingly very orderly most days....good show

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

DaveyGem wrote: »
    You'll find yourself not bothering to go to college if you know you wont get a space/have to circle the grounds/queue up in the secret car park
    That's a pretty dismal excuse not to go to a lecture. Buses still run, i know it can be annoying sitting on a packed bus that early though

Just regarding the latter is that the only car park were people sit and queue for a space, its amazingly very orderly most days....good show
    I'd say it is the only place, but only because of it's size. Other car parks are much bigger than that and usually have people "queuing" in each row of spaces. I've never had anyone take a place on me if I'm sitting in one of the rows waiting for a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

This sounds exactly like the WIT car park, Cars abandoned everywhere, people used to park on the lawns but this is all fenced off now.
    Moped is the way to go :p

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BumblebeeGirl

Parking is a right nuisance in Ucd alright, i have spent the last three years parking behind the Ag block between two trees cause the carpark didnt have assigned spaces, but i was up there today and theyre putting tarmac in it and assigning spaces...so there'll be no more tree parking for me this year...tear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Sarn

Also, don't be tempted to park in non-designated areas because you will be clamped. I've seen a lot of cars on kerbs clamped in the O'Reilly hall car park.

The large clear empty gravel area in front of the Conway (beside Health Sciences) is also a no go as it is only for coaches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement