Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stabbing in Waterford City

• 18-08-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭

did anyone hear about the stabbings last night, between two girls ,or so i heard.
    Probs unrelated to what is happening in waterford atm , still tho place really getting a name for itself lately

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

emo!! wrote: »
    did anyone hear about the stabbings last night, between two girls ,or so i heard.
    Probs unrelated to what is happening in waterford atm , still tho place really getting a name for itself lately

Again, from Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0818/breaking57.htm

Woman arrested after Waterford stabbings
    ÉANNA Ó CAOLLAÍAn 18 year-old woman has been arrested following a double stabbing in Waterford City in the early hours of this morning.

Two women were injured in the attack, which occured at John's Lane at around 2.15am.

One of the women, aged 17, was stabbed in the leg and the other, aged 19, received injuries to her back. Both women were taken to Waterford Regional Hospital.

Investigating gardaí arrested an 18 year-old woman and she is being detained in Waterford. The scene has been preserved for technical examination.

It is understood that the injuries sustained by the two women are of a minor nature.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bards wrote: »
    Again, from Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2008/0818/breaking57.htm

Woman arrested after Waterford stabbings
    ÉANNA Ó CAOLLAÍAn 18 year-old woman has been arrested following a double stabbing in Waterford City in the early hours of this morning.

From the way you copied and pasted thei article, it looks like Eanna O Caollai was the person arrested for this:D

Its also on the RTE website

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0818/waterford.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I split this into a new topic as its unrelated to the traveller feud - hope thats okay lads. The other topic is a bit of a mess at the moment without making it more confusing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I was walking past there this morning before hearing any news and there was a bit cordoned off and a Garda standing watch. I thought it was a bit weird that it would still be like that after Saturday nights shennanigans, but it turned out to be a different incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Named and shamed http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0818/waterford.html
    oops same link as above lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tiny-tyno

Does anyone else feel scared living in this city?:( night after night there is either a shooting or stabbing,Petrol Bombs, its turning worse than Limerick:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't feel scared at all to be honest. The people getting shot are putting themselves in situations where getting shot could be a possibility...

I completly understand they put themselves into those situations, but if like the other night if people are just on the street for a night out and the next min there is a shoot out, or some one stabbs you out of no where, that wouldn't be your fault for minding your own business, thats whats scary, its comming into the city center where the innocient are.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Interesting to note that the girl was from Faran Park also - and they say its not connected. Concidence I assume?

Sully wrote: »
    Interesting to note that the girl was from Faran Park also - and they say its not connected. Concidence I assume?

Probably a coincidence but they could change the court pages in the local press to Faran Park weekly news so ya know...

• Advertisement

Probably a coincidence but they could change the court pages in the local press to Faran Park weekly news so ya know...

Sorry, what? Is there a problem asking a simple question?

I think you misunderstood me.

I said it is probably a coincidence....

But...the could rename the court pages in the Munster "The Faran Park Weekly news"

I'm not sure why you thought I was being snotty towards ya here...

I think you misunderstood me.

I said it is probably a coincidence....

But...the could rename the court pages in the Munster "The Faran Park Weekly news"

I'm not sure why you thought I was being snotty towards ya here...

Oh right. I thought you were being snotty for asking the question and propose they change the paper just to "let me know". ;)

haha nah.

The hurling has so come at the right time for the town though....Waterford was on the front pages of the papers today and it so could have been for so many other things...

I wonder whats happening into tonight now, just been woken up by police cars racing through the cork road for the last 10 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah I heard the sirens as I was coming home from work at about 12. Was wondering what the craic was alright..

Im sure we will hear about it all in the news tomorrow no doubt.. another petrol bomb maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

tiny-tyno wrote: »
    I wonder whats happening into tonight now, just been woken up by police cars racing through the cork road for the last 10 mins

Black Hyundai failled top stop for a Guard heading towards the old Kilmeaden road.. ended up chasing him down through housing estates out to ardmore park, and into a field between ballybeg and kilbarry halting site, where another number of garda units were already headed, some (dont know if all were caught) of the occupants were brought in by the cops when it was all over..

fair play to the first cop on scene.. he braved following a car alone (unsure of who was aboard, why they ran, what weapons they may have had) followed the car till the very end, and got a successful result.. many of you will say "ahh well thats his job" but id say its a lot more scary when its 1am and your heading out towards the old kilmeaden road in pursuit of god knows what? :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just think of it as a episode of Road Wars....great fun watching this everynight :)

Nah seriously, fair ****s to a gardai on his own chasing down somebody, especially if they get out and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

I completly understand they put themselves into those situations, but if like the other night if people are just on the street for a night out and the next min there is a shoot out, or some one stabbs you out of no where, that wouldn't be your fault for minding your own business, thats whats scary, its comming into the city center where the innocient are.:(

Theres innocent people in Kilcohan too ye know, or are they all guilty just because they happen to live close by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Or people are JUST in their homes minding their own business, be it KILCOHAN , JOHN'S PK , BALLYBEG OR FARRAN PK.

It's true what sonners said yesterday,
    Thread "....... in Ballybeg " 20+ posts
    Thread " mayhem in John's street " 190 + and counting posts

It seems that a lot of the city residents would be happy or could not give a **** if all this was just happening and begin kept isolated to certain housing estates in the City. And public outcry only starts when it has the cheek to rise its ugly head to the great community or public

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    [/b]
    It seems that a lot of the city residents would be happy or could not give a **** if all this was just happening and begin kept isolated to certain housing estates in the City. And public outcry only starts when it has the cheek to rise its ugly head to the great community or public

I'm sorry Rockman if you feel I was trying to suggest that everyone in those areas deserve the crime that is going on, no one deserves to have that on there front door. Specially when children are getting hurt in the process.. This is getting attention of everyone lately as there is so much media coverage. You cant blame people for having an interest in the topic.It does affect everyone in the city.

Im getting a tad bit concerned at the amount of residents of affected estates getting a bit angry towards people who are just expressing a point/interest in recent topics about the ****e happening in the city.

If you see a post which is outragous - report it and one of us will sort it out. Generalisations isnt fair.

Some estates in Waterford are just unlucky to have a group of people giving the estate a bad name. I would hope that people dont think everybody living in such estates are all the same.

I'm sorry Rockman if you feel I was trying to suggest that everyone in those areas deserve the crime that is going on, no one deserves to have that on there front door. Specially when children are getting hurt in the process.. This is getting attention of everyone lately as there is so much media coverage. You cant blame people for having an interest in the topic.It does affect everyone in the city.

Yes but where have all these people been for the last 2 months? Everybody was quite happy to turn a blind eye to petrol bombs and gunshots as long as they were kept in the confines of a few estates around the city. Now that people realise they might actually be affected by this they're all up in arms.

I dont mean to get onto you personally tiny-tyno, its just very frustrating to hear the reactions over the last few days. I cant help wonder how many houses would need to be petrol bombed in Farran Park before people would care this much.

Edit: Just to address Sully's post. I dont mean to attack anyone on this board personally and I know most people are as worried as I am about the situation and merely want it resolved. But I feel the topic of righting-off certain estates in this city along with ALL their occupants should also be highlighted and dealt with. I dont see why I should'nt at least point it out when I see mass generalisations from people who dont even realise they're doing it. You have stuck-up for travellers on here before and fair play to you, I'm sticking up for Johns Park, Kilcohan and Ballybeg. We're not all bad either.

Most people would be very conserned about what has gone on in the last few months, but no one in the town can phyiscally resolve it, the guards are doing there best and i suppose as like in every other town, village or city people just talk about it.

If there was something that people could do im sure they would be more than happy to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

The Gaurds in Waterford are being kept busy lately ! Hope they get to the bottom of everything.

sonners wrote: »
    Yes but where have all these people been for the last 2 months? Everybody was quite happy to turn a blind eye to petrol bombs and gunshots as long as they were kept in the confines of a few estates around the city. Now that people realise they might actually be affected by this they're all up in arms.

I dont mean to get onto you personally tiny-tyno, its just very frustrating to hear the reactions over the last few days. I cant help wonder how many houses would need to be petrol bombed in Farran Park before people would care this much.

Such is life. Nobody cares about anything that doesnt happen on their own doorstep. People get beaten up and stabbed in the middle of the city center and people walk past with the attitude "Its nothing to do with me".
    Edit: Just to address Sully's post. I dont mean to attack anyone on this board personally and I know most people are as worried as I am about the situation and merely want it resolved. But I feel the topic of righting-off certain estates in this city along with ALL their occupants should also be highlighted and dealt with. I dont see why I should'nt at least point it out when I see mass generalisations from people who dont even realise they're doing it. You have stuck-up for tinkers on here before and fair play to you, I'm sticking up for Johns Park, Kilcohan and Ballybeg. We're not all bad either.

Firstly, re-read the forum charter and edit the above post.

Secondly, your more then welcome to come in here and defend the troubled estates. I have no problem defending them either - as I have done previously - as all these estates may have a small or large amount of trouble but they are not all that bad. Just dont get personal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

No I never feel that you where trying to suggest anything like that,
    It just that myself and maybe sonners feel that it always was effecting everyone and that the public outcry should have being there two months ago.
    and not just when something happens in the city, Maybe as residents we feel that the support should have being there from the start ie cops politicians etc. But like everything it take the Media to get involved before things get step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

sonners wrote: »
    You have stuck-up for travellers on here before and fair play to you, I'm sticking up for Johns Park, Kilcohan and Ballybeg. We're not all bad either.

Of course sure isn't the trouble in these estates as a result of said travellers.

It's time anyone stops sticking up for them until they take collective resposibility for thier community's actions.

• Advertisement

Edited my last post to change a word, did'nt realise it was such a big deal. And I fail to see where I got personal in any of my posts.

I'm stepping back from this now, it seems my posts have been misinterpreted as trying to start something or attack other posters. This is not the case, I am merely trying to explain the current situation from the viewpoint of people living with this for the last two months. You might not like it but we dont like living with it either.

I know everyone wants this trouble to end I'm not denying that but some of the posters seem to think that Saturday's events just came out of nowhere. This feud is ONGOING. Not a day has passed over the last 2 months without some sort of incident. I'm merely trying to make people aware that not everything is being reported and infact things are worse than they may seem.

Advertisement