Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you reuse a starnut?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭

Just received a new suspension fork in the post, looking to rebuild an old mountain bike for some fun in ballinastoe - anyway, I didn't realise that it would not come with a starnut in place - can I take the one from the old fork and use that? The old fork is very very dead so I guess I can just cut the steerer tube below the starnut, and tap the starnut out? Or should I just wait until I get a new one - it's not the cost, it's the time I have to wait...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

kenmc wrote: »
    Just received a new suspension fork in the post, looking to rebuild an old mountain bike for some fun in ballinastoe - anyway, I didn't realise that it would not come with a starnut in place - can I take the one from the old fork and use that? The old fork is very very dead so I guess I can just cut the steerer tube below the starnut, and tap the starnut out? Or should I just wait until I get a new one - it's not the cost, it's the time I have to wait...

They're difficult to remove from a steerer tube - it's not really worth the effort. Are you anywhere near a bike shop? Just pick one up.

The fork doesn't arrive with the star-nut in place because you have to cut the steerer to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

thanks. sorry I didn't mean to say with the starnut in place, rather in the box. anyway, no starnut either in the box or in the tube. I'll see if I can get to a bike shop and grab one,

Advertisement