Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how to get rid of old car

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I am selling a very old 93 Nissan Micra i dont expect to get much or even sell it at all, it is in perfect condition, but i have purchased a new car. I just want rid of the Micra but don't know how to go about it. Does anyone know do I contact my local Council? and is it expensive to get rid of? your help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if its driving, put it in the buy and sell for €100. Your phone won't stop ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your local council will take it off you for free and if you bring it to a scrapper they should buy it off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

If it has a valid NCT you will be able to sell it easily through the classifieds.
    I think most councils won't take cars for disposal (Cork City Council won't anyway). However I think most scrapyards will take it for free if you can drive it to them. If you're prepared to haggle you might even get a few quid out of them. The Motors forum would probably know more about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Moving to motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of demand for a cheap runabout especially among our foreign national friends living here. If it is driving then it is worth something to someone.

Stick it up on www.adverts.ie and put on the advert somehing like "best offer secures".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As said, put it in the Buy & Sell and mention that it drives. Set a low price, around €100.
    Teenagers are always on the lookout for cheap cars to go rallying and racing on and off-road, you'll be doing them a favour

Please don't flame me :p

(don't actually do this OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

micmclo wrote: »
    (don't actually do this OP)

Why post it then :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's always or it used to be often in the news that teenagers were buying old cars for maybe €100 or so and they going rallying around roads at weekends. Often they'd end up crashing and killing themselves. No insurance, no tax and sure they weren't even 17 at the time.
    I'd find a link if I've time to one of the traffic accidents.

Immediately the person who sold the car gets vilified and almost certainly gets interviewed by the garda, even if they sold the car and could see nothing wrong.

It's an obvious way to get rid of car but if a gang of teenagers approach the OP and want the car, do you think it's a good idea?

Anyway my posts failed big time :(
    Sorry for dragging this thread offtopic

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Location?
    Put it in adverts.ie

header_adverts.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

Hi Thanks for your replies. Put it up on a few sites & already there is interest. It has its NCT until Dec 09, and is in perfect working condition.
    Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

However I think most scrapyards will take it for free if you can drive it to them.

A scrap yard should pay to take a car, although I am sure they will take it for free if you let them. Usually though if the car runs, you will make much more money selling it than you would scrapping it.

If you are going to scrap it though, you might consider removing the components of the car that still work, such as the transmission, so that you can sell them separately, but if you are just trying to dump it without any hassle, you can take it to the scrap yard. Call them first though and see if they require you to do any prep work to the car before you bring it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Coala

I will take it if its free :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That car is easily worth €500 with that sort of NCT on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

ill collect this and give some money to a charity of ur choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Dublin City Council charge €30 to remove the car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

breakers yards also usually charge about 60quid to take it away too.,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

just saw this on adverts.ie
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=67043&cat=26
    i am lookin to take away any cars for recycling free of charge.all cars will be collected on tow truck.so if u have a car or any of your friends have thats unwanted and taking up space in the garden leave a comment.cars dont have to be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

vtec wrote: »
    breakers yards also usually charge about 60quid to take it away too.,

I though since the price of metal has gone through the roof they would be paying to take ~1 tonne of high qualitity metals. If they are charging to remove sod them they should be paying you go, to someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you can put it on freecycle

or you just leave it somewhere with the doors unlocked and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

irishbird wrote: »
    you can put it on freecycle

or you just leave it somewhere with the doors unlocked and hope for the best

Sure i have been doing that for the last 10 years but no joy, i even left the keys in it.:)

Advertisement