Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects in 1 year

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Well iv taken the plunge and decided im going to repeat( please no "think of your options")
    I plan on going to a grind school..unfortunatley one subject ,engineering,i did for my l.c isn't taught there. What subjects would you's recommend taking up and have a chance of doin well in for just one year?

Thanks,Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Right I really don't know what subjects you like but I would say Business and Music would be managable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ADAM2326

For the leaving I did English,french,history,chemistry,engineering all higher
    and maths ,irish ordinary
    I would preferably like to do all honour subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Well if you're going to a grind school and willing to work then Geography would be a must. It would mean you would be very busy around Easter with the History and Geography project but you can get an A1 in Geography by learning sample answers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

If you're good at rote learning i'd reccommend Biology. Geo can be tricky to get an A1 in, but you should be able to get a B no bother (what alan said)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Oh Do Business!?!!? i did it outside school , had 1 class a week started in January got an A2!

still repeating tho!......might c ya there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

Economics is meant to be doable in a year, I've heard Classics too. I'd stay away from the sciences based on experience. Sent you a PM too..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Well if youre going to the institute, you can essentially do anything you want, like take up Economic History (well you could do that but it doesnt exist anymore)

I have no experience with any other grind school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

Do business!.It;s by far the easiest..

DO NOT DO classics..far too much involved in it to get through in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I'm repeating too and I asked my brother what subjects he would recommend me to do (as i'm doing it in the same place as him) he said economics and geography is easy to take up in a year

Business and Ag science are the easiest!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Classics can be seriously easy if it's taught properly, but it's not it plenty of schools, hence the large amounts of poor grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

alan4cult wrote: »
    Right I really don't know what subjects you like but I would say Business and Music would be managable.

I would never recommend Music, you are required to know how to play an instrument and do a tape test.. It's a lot of hassle for one year especially if your not musically gifted..

Honestly, none are easy and you can't ask people here as there giving a personal opinion while Business is easy for them it could be boring as hell and torture for you! Just do the course for the subject you like the most whether it be Science or Business subjects. This way you'll enjoy learning, I'm in the same boat however it's not nice is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ventura

When i repeated in 2007 business, ag science, ag economics and geography seemed to be the popular choises. Didnt do any of these myself though. :confused: From personal experience i did biology in less then a year. Had to put in some extra work, as you generally would with a new subject, but came out with an A1 in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

Your dead right to repeat. Done the same myself and was best choice i ever made. Came up in physics from a C3 to a B1! Definetly do business. Easy easy points and perhaps geography as well if you keep on top of your course work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

ryanj wrote: »
    Economics is meant to be doable in a year

You're kidding right? Economics is notoriously difficult to pick up.
    @ OP - I think the genreal concensus would be to pick up business or biology. A year should be enough time to learn either and come out with a very good result. Basically you just learn rote facts

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

I repeated and took up 3 new subjects; Biology, Ag Science and Home Ec.
    Got an A2 in Biology and Home Ec and got an A1 in Ag science.
    Hope that helps. I found Home Ec really difficult though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Kimmy-XxX

Drodan wrote: »
    Classics can be seriously easy if it's taught properly, but it's not it plenty of schools, hence the large amounts of poor grades.

I had a terrible Classics teacher for most of fifth and sixth year but I still think there's too much in it to cover in a year. There's 2 plays, 4 books..(2 epics and 2 historical on Alexander) and an enormously wide course with regards art and architecture. That said, once you get through the volume of reading it is relatively easy.

Another reason alot of people do badly in Classics is because its held in such high prestiege, the standard is enormous.

Perhaps I shoud start a new thread for this but why do so few take classics??.. Is it because it's perceived as hard/uninteresting or do very few schools actually teach it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i repeated this year and took upa few new subjects including :

Phys/chem(i have previously done physics/chemistry)
    Construction Stuides(had noting dont to this previous this year)
    Geography ( likewise to chemistry)

Phys/chem was great, easy and nice marks in the bag. Since your just doing chemistry, i would leave you do it.

If you have done engineering i suggest that you take up construction. very easy if you learn how to the drawings, and there is a practicle worth 25% and a project another 25% very easy to get marks in, i got a A2 in it. the course includes a paper, with question 1 being compulsory and a drawing, and questiong 5 a maths type questions. Very easy, and suggeest doing this

Geography is a nice choice, if you ahve a good teacher, learn sample answers off, and with the fieldwork giving 20% you can rack up some nice points, i got a B1 in it, with only doing a year work.

Also i would suggest buisness quite a easy subject, and all you need to do is learn of sample answers, and just do previous exam papers.

To do well in doing a subject in 1 year, you do need a good teacher that dosent mind you handing up work every other day. for business i handed up extra work from previous exam papers for her to correct..

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I know Kimmy having a bad teacher can almost double the course on you. For example any teacher that decides to so "Frogs" is retarded because of ther large amount of history behind the story, plus it's a comedy apparently!

With Alexander this year it was pretty obvious that the first have would be quetioned because of the Hydaspes river and both muntinies were asked last year.

There are very few questions askable with Prometheus Bound. Both the Aenied and The Odyessy are incredibly similar and most questions will be comparing. Medea and Oedipus are also very short simply plays.

As for Art and Archetecure if paintings and mosaics are studied it;s very simple.

Yes it's a big enough course, I found it very interesting but that's just me anyway. I mean come one there's nothing like watching Alexander and noticing all the flaws, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Have you considered applied maths, you probably have the natural ability for it if you did H maths and engineering!! Picked it up myself in sixth year, narrowly missed out on an A1.

TBH, I would be against doing Biology in a year, alot of stuff to get through (and I was a lazy sh!te, always doing the absolute minimum) physics wouldn't be a bad option either tbh. Best of luck anyway. At the end of the day, almost all subjects could be done in a year if you have the determination!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

If you can hold information and reel it off Business would be a good choice. There's a lot of content to learn off and the ABQ calls for applying the information you know to a "real life" situation. If you get on with numbers the Break-Even and Ratio questions will be in the bag for you.

Advertisement