Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming grovelling back

Options
  • 18-08-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

So, I left LOTRO when some of my mates left and my internet connection was disconnected. When I got the connection back, I decided to try a few other MMO's but couldn't find anything that could hook me.

Age of Conan has so many bugs that it makes baby Jesus cry. It might be worth popping in for a look in a few months, but we'll see.

WoW is a blight on humanity and I hate it!

And well, I could list all the other MMO's here but I'll save time by saying that I realised that LOTRO was the only MMO I've ever really enjoyed. And I was rubbish at it. Imagine how much I'm going to enjoy it now that I've nothing but free time on my hands!?!

To cut a long and tedious story short (well, shorter), I'm patching as we speak and will be signing up for a subscription later today. Are people still playing, or will I be ever so lonely?

And have people changed servers? I used to be on Snowborne with a lvl 30 ranger lad (I think). I was thinking of starting again as maybe a burglar, guardian or loremaster, but have yet to decide if I could be arsed going through all that again while having bugger all people in the starting areas to team up with.

So, there you have it. I'm back. And if my history is anything to go by, I'll probably lose interest or get distracted by something in a month or two. But the important thing is that this week I'm here!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I'm on the Eldar server... Although, I just picked it at random, don't think anyone from here is on there.

Good server though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Both (b)lister and myself are on Snowbourne. Now's a good time to be coming back with the release of the expansion due in the near future.

When u get back and if you're on snow add me (Fiach) to your friend list and I'm sure I can give you a hand. If you're on for monsterplay I play as Graymane and spineless.
    Get a warg up and running since we still do the warg nights from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dogre

Hi all,

my first MMO was Star Wars Galaxies, and I was enjoying it until the NGE.

After the NGE hit, I left SWG and tried WoW, but I never took to it. In particular, I like my MMO to have player housing of some description, I like to have a 'place' to call home and to act as a central meeting point. In WoW, I only met a handful of my guildies, the rest were scattered across two continents and with no guildhall or house there was no single meeting point.

I stopped playing MMO's after WoW until Vanguard Saga of Heroes arrived. I liked the non-instanced, single world sheer scale of the game, but player numbers quickly dropped due to the game being released before it was completed. Then SoE took over and, still smarting from my SWG experience, I lost interest in Vanguard and again dropped out of MMO's. LOTRO was released during my time in Vanguard but I did not give it a try due to my involvement with VSoH.

And on to this year. I saw some good things written about Age of Conan and Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. I have played Age of Conan and I liked that it was possible to avoid grinding - at least up to level 35 or so. However, the player numbers have dropped and the game is also not yet ready for retail, with many headline features - DX10, Large-scale PvP with sieges etc. - not present 3 months after launch.

I like that Warhammer has been delayed while development continues, a sign ( I hope ) that it will be ready to play when it does launch. I have pre-0rdered this and look forward to playing it.

Anyway, back on topic. After the disappointment that was Age of Conan I was trawling through various fora and read a post on LOTRO. It mentioned a 2 week free trial and I had spare time and bandwidth so I signed on and downloaded the game. And I really like it. it is very immersive in Middle-Earth ambience, graphics are nice but the game is not a lag-fest. I have a character up to level 10 and no sign of grinding required.

So, I have ordered the game and decided to give it a proper go. I shall create a toon on SnowBourne and I will look you up.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Good stuff. I started a guardian last night (oddly enough I'd never played a tank in an MMO before) and actually had to plsy the tutorial again as I'd completely forgotten how to play. So, I have yet another question: How do you run? I'm a human guardian so I'm not sure if it's a skill I get at a later level, or if I've just somehow misplaced the icon. :(

I think you're thinking of sprint which is a skill you get later if memory serves me correctly. And then its only for a few seconds.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just can't place it in my mind. I keep thinking of other MMO's. It might be an Elf thing or a hunter thing. I think it was a toggle skill that turned off when you went into combat. Or it could of been a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Yep, hunter skill. With the leaves trailing behind ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Welcome back Humanji! Whats your character name ingame so I can add you to friends list and also throw you a kinship invite.

Guardians afaik dont have a run buff. Only hunters and also champians get a sprint skill. I'm currently doing a bit of work on my hunter(only lvl 27) so depending on how fast you level we should be able to duo some stuff and we might even catch up with Hellfire(lvl40).

Guardians can be tough to solo up as their dps is so low. Try to group up with any groups you see forming in the chat log that are in the same area or on the same quests that you are trying to complete.

Well the guardian I have is called Gambon (named for Michael!) who I only got to lvl 9 before I decided to watch CSI (don't judge me!). I've still got my elven hunter Aodhor who'd lvl 30, so it might be best to use him if we're going to meet up (it'll save a LOT of time).

I loaded up my hunter last night jsut to see where I'd gotten with him. I don't know what I was thinking, but I must of been just ignoring my quests. I've almost a full log, with loads of lvl25 quests all over the land. Plus, I'm only on book 2! Thank god I wasn't part of the Fellowship or Sauron would've easily won!

Hunters name? I couldnt add the one named in the sticky when I tried...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Thinking about playing this game again it is really good.Im on snowbourne and have a lvl 50 hunter and 45 guardian. ive stoped playing for about 3 months now. just getting my computer sorted out. does any1 know if this runs well in vista 64bit?

oh and i have get my internet connection fixed aswell bloody ping is terrible at the moment.

Yep, running fine on vista64 for me besides a few problems with my ati card but I think its driver issues rather then the game...

Edit: If you are looking for an invite to a kin let me know. Myself and Hellfire are in the same one and any boards.ies are always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

thats great. i have a hd4850 what kind of driver issues do you have ?

Lister1 wrote: »
    Hunters name? I couldnt add the one named in the sticky when I tried...
    Really? That's strange. I probably spelt it wrong. I'll recheck when I get home.

Hmmm, Lister, I tried adding you, but it says you don't exist. I managed to add Rev Hellfire alright, though. Is your hunter Bloster?

Try adding...

Blister
    Blostor
    Handlebar
    Fiach(Hellfire)

I've added Blister, Handlebar and Fiach. It's still saying Bloster doesn't exist.

Whoops. I should have written Blostor

Actually, you did. I must of spelt it wrong. :o

I should be on tonight, I'll even try and force myself to use my freep.

• Advertisement

Just grin and bear it. :D I should be on tonight too. I was on last night for a while trying to make sense of all my quests. It's like when you'd go back to school after the summer and you'd forgotten how to write!

Now that I've been banned from the PI forum I'll have no one to offer my life affirming advise too!
    I'll be on for sure, its like I either play lotro or I totally kill myself !

If only you could post on PI, you could ask for help!

I know... I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have you to talk to !

Just want to say thanks again to Rev and Lister for taking me under their collective wing last night. It's amazing how much I'd actually forgotten about the game. I couldn't even remember the Ettenmoors map. Sadly I remembered only too well the feeling of being surrounded by freeps and having the crap beaten out of me.

Our pleasure Humaji.

Make sure you visit an auction house to swap some of your armour. You should be looking for stuff with +stats to agility if possible but if its cheap and it has a higher armour value then what you currently have buy it.

Myself and Hellfire are 99% in vent when we are on so best to check there to see if we are playing on creeps or freeps.

I think Hellfire will be afk till Wednesday and from Monday I will be away on a weeks holidays. Keep going with your hunter....

Advertisement