Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some help needed

• 18-08-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭

1.got my offer but course dosnt appeal to me now and a lower course does if i reject my offer will i get the other one that lower points and i have all the grades to do the course?

2.how do you know if you get the DCU access,is it when you have accepted the course or before?

3.for a course i would really like im ten points off and havnt got it,is it worth while going over my scripts and trying to get them ten points and waiting a whole year or just do a similar course in a different place on less points??

thanks hope everyone get what they want

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

1. You get offered the highest course you're eligible for. When you're offered that, any courses which were lower on your list of preference are deleted from your options. That's why they say put it in order of preference!

3. As far as I'm aware, you don't have to wait an entire year to reapply, if you've qualified for the course. You might just start a bit late. Not entirely sure about this though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

so are you telling me that lets say my 4th choice i got and it was 300 points
    and my 5th choice is 280 and i now want my 5th choice

what happens if i reject the 4th choice what then?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    so are you telling me that lets say my 4th choice i got and it was 300 points
    and my 5th choice is 280 and i now want my 5th choice

what happens if i reject the 4th choice what then?

You get offered the highest one on your list. If you reject the 4th one, you don't get offered anything else (unless you happen to get offered a higher course in a different round).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

If you do get the higher course later on after appeals, etc. you can start this year but you just miss the first week or so which is usually just orientation. I would say definitely view your scripts as that's free & if you're a couple of percent off the next grade or feel really hard done by then you might as well appeal. If you're only barely getting the grade you have though you're better not to as it can go down after appeal too.

so if i do reject the course i am not get another offer unless the ones below aint filled??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rochey18 wrote: »
    so if i do reject the course i am not get another offer unless the ones below aint filled??

you will not get offered a course lower down on your list. by putting a certain course down fourth and another fifth you are telling the CAO that you wanted the fourth choice more than the fifth. the minute you are offered your fourth choice everything else below it is scrapped. you can then only be offered a course above your fourth choice.

For example if you and another candidate were both offered your fourth choices and you really wanted your fifth choice and became eligible for it in the second round, but that same course was the other candidates third choice, do you think you should get it ahead of them when they had it as a higher preference? The CAO would be a complete mess if candidates could just chop and change choices regardless of preference in august when the offers come out.

there are sometimes advertisements in the national papers later on in september/october for courses where places have not been filled. candidates are able to apply to the colleges for these places if they meet course requirements but this only happens when all the CAO rigmarole of offers has been exhausted. And there generally aren't too many courses like this, for the most part they tend to be courses in ITs.

ye get it now dunno how i could of been so stupid
    so if i dont get a course i want and dont accpet any what do i do next year
    just reapply with the same cao number or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

your best bet is contact your schoold guidance teacher. they are usualy in the school during these times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

have a look at the available courses list on www.cao.ie

you might like something there and it might all work out for the best :)

Advertisement