Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

muffinman wrote: »
    teach all 12??

no, theres usually a number of tutors for each course, like there may be 4 tutors for a certain history course or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Quick question. When can I expect to find out if I've been accepted for on-campus accommodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hmm does anyone know, if two optional modules clash, is there any chance that they might change the times? or is it the case that you will only be able to take one of them? Any point contacting the programme office to see if they'll accommodate me i wnder, or is it just tough luck? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Hmm does anyone know, if two optional modules clash, is there any chance that they might change the times? or is it the case that you will only be able to take one of them? Any point contacting the programme office to see if they'll accommodate me i wnder, or is it just tough luck? :(

If two optional modules clash then you can only choose one. There's a very, very slim chance of you being accommodated for. Especially if you're in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I'm hoping to do science omnibus and im confused about what modules i want to take so i was going to wait until the advisory session to pick but will this jeopordise my chances of getting on a module if its done on a first come first serve basis?:confused:

If you're confused about what modules to pick then you have to look to the future. What major/joint degree do you want to do? Physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, botany, chemistry etc. In order to get into these degrees you must complete certain modules from 1st year. E.g. You need to do certain biology based modules to do physiology and pharmacology that wouldn't be required for chemistry.

It's pretty daunting at the start of first year to look that far forward. But have a quick think about what you want to do before picking modules. However, picking these modules doesn't alienate you from other degree choices, there is a lot of overlapping. I'm sure there's a page on the UCD site about this but I can't find it at the moment. Terrible site for navigation and searching.

EDIT: http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

If you find DN008 Science - omnibus, scroll down to subject/stream area and choose the degree you want to do, it tells you what modules you need to pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Shazbot wrote: »

If you find DN008 Science - omnibus, scroll down to subject/stream area and choose the degree you want to do, it tells you what modules you need to pick

Thanks for that, makes things much easier now. :D:D

So do you have to pick electives, using up your 10 elective credits?? Can you just use up your 50 programme credits and leave it at that??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

I'm going to be doing Arts, do i have to select an elective? Is it compulsory? What are the reasons for wanting to select an elective and essentially adding an extra subject to your timetable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Thanks for that, makes things much easier now. :D:D

So do you have to pick electives, using up your 10 elective credits?? Can you just use up your 50 programme credits and leave it at that??
    SRFC90 wrote: »
    I'm going to be doing Arts, do i have to select an elective? Is it compulsory? What are the reasons for wanting to select an elective and essentially adding an extra subject to your timetable?
    From a thread I made to answer these questions, here.
    I’m a first year Arts/Science student. Do I HAVE to take electives?
    In the technical sense of selecting modules from the elective page? No. You may select 60 credits from core and option modules.
    You have to sign up for 60 credits - you can't just leave it at 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

SRFC90 wrote: »

Its not adding anything extra it just gives you the chance to do something out of the ordinary. If you are in first year you dont have to take electives you can do 3 majors of 60 credits or 2 majors and 2 minors, which add up to 60 credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 miss attitude

Shazbot wrote: »
    If you're confused about what modules to pick then you have to look to the future. What major/joint degree do you want to do? Physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, botany, chemistry etc. In order to get into these degrees you must complete certain modules from 1st year. E.g. You need to do certain biology based modules to do physiology and pharmacology that wouldn't be required for chemistry.

It's pretty daunting at the start of first year to look that far forward. But have a quick think about what you want to do before picking modules. However, picking these modules doesn't alienate you from other degree choices, there is a lot of overlapping. I'm sure there's a page on the UCD site about this but I can't find it at the moment. Terrible site for navigation and searching.

thanx a mill for that im finding the whole thing very confusing but this forum is v helpful!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Hey guys,

I wasn't banking on lectures starting so early so I'm going to be away on September 8th meaning I'll miss the Freshers' Ball and first day of lectures. Is it a big deal to miss the first day? Do you have to sign in or anything?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

You'll miss some intro lectures. Nothing major

If your in science I think there's some swiping - though that could be later years. Other than that no. All good.

Loads of people miss the first day with late rounds and things. Don't worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Thronian

This could be a thread in itself but what are the best societies to join?

Are there a couple that really stand out? I know obviously you have to take your own interests into account...

But in your own experience.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Thronian wrote: »
    This could be a thread in itself but what are the best societies to join?

Are there a couple that really stand out? I know obviously you have to take your own interests into account...

But in your own experience.. ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055358920

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

So I looked up my course (Geography, Planning & Environmental Policy) here where it says "50 Programme credits; 10 elective credits". Then it lists the modules below. The problem is that the modules listed only add up to 40 credits. Is this most likely just an omission error, or are there "option" modules that just aren't listed?

So I looked up my course (Geography, Planning & Environmental Policy) here where it says "50 Programme credits; 10 elective credits". Then it lists the modules below. The problem is that the modules listed only add up to 40 credits. Is this most likely just an omission error, or are there "option" modules that just aren't listed?
    You take another 10 credits from Arts. Your programme falls under Arts, Celtic Studies, and Human Sciences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Thanks.

One other question: on the course webpage it says it's a 3 year course, but in the course modules page it lists modules up to stage four. Is there something wrong here?

Aye, the website is just silly like that. It should be three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

question: i got merville accomodation and in the wireless networking guide, under the things you cant do it says no network games. Does this mean that i wont be able to play on xbox live? :p is there any way for it to work? because i am hoping to be attending the world cyber games in germany in november and ill need to practice somehow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

What's my student number? Is it my CAO number?
    I got my accomodation offer today and on one of the forms it asks for a student number...?
    Also, how do I know which school I'm in? I'm doing Biomedical, Health and Life Sciences but I'm not sure which school that falls under!

• Advertisement

What's my student number? Is it my CAO number?
    I got my accomodation offer today and on one of the forms it asks for a student number...?
    Also, how do I know which school I'm in? I'm doing Biomedical, Health and Life Sciences but I'm not sure which school that falls under!
    Yes, it is your CAO number (08******).

That's the Life Sciences College - most likely the UCD School of Bimolecular & Biomedical Science.
    http://www.ucd.ie/lifesciences/schools.htm

Actually, sorry it's the Medicine & Medical Science School.
    DN037 Biomedical, Health & Life Sciences (BHS1)
    School: Medicine & Medical Science

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Aard wrote: »

In first year majors are 20 credits, come second and third year they will be 25. If you wanted to you could take a third major or 2 minors to make up the remainder 20 credits in first year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

Does anyone know when people can move into on campus accom?? Im starting first year, and have some meeting thing on wednesday but does that mean I can move my things in the day before?? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

neilk32 wrote: »
    question: i got merville accomodation

:eek: I got no offers yet ... Hopefully my post is slow.. Where are you from?
    leavo08 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when people can move into on campus accom??

It says on the site Sep 3rd and I rang the office a while back and they said it won't be available before that date

EDIT:

Got my offer for Roebuck today.. Thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

You'll miss some intro lectures. Nothing major

If your in science I think there's some swiping - though that could be later years. Other than that no. All good.

Loads of people miss the first day with late rounds and things. Don't worry about it.

Great..thanks! I was a bit worried. I'm doing Arts so should be ok then once there's no sign in then they probably won't notice that I'm not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

muffinman wrote: »

EDIT:

Got my offer for Roebuck today.. Thank God!

I'll be seeing you there then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

when exactly do 1st year Arts lectures start?

kev_s88 wrote: »
    when exactly do 1st year Arts lectures start?
    All undergrad lectures start the same day - 8th of September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

A few questions. Sorry if they've been asked already.

I'm doing Arts DN012

What time can you begin choosing subjects at on friday??

Can you still pick them if your survey info on your personal registration page is incomplete (even though it clearly is!) ??

I was thinking of doing Economics (20 creds), Philosophy (15 creds), English (15 creds) and then whatever electives that jump out at me. Where can you find a list of all these electives??? I've been all over the UCD website.

I'd be very grateful for any help :) Thanks

Advertisement