Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you're coming to UCD....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

No, I wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something first =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Geo08 wrote: »
    Hi UCD_Econ (I'm directing this at you as you have all the answers!!)

Quick question bout extra modules (I know :rolleyes:). See I'm a mature student & as I didnt do leaving cert so I've to do 2 Level 0 modules (this is in Science Om btw). I'm thinking along the lines of doing Geology as a major, but am really interested in Astronomy & Space Science & there are 2 modules I have to do *I think* if I want to pursue it more in the 2nd year to leave my options open.

So to the question, if I do decide to take the extra 2 modules.....do you know the procedure? I know you have to pay but I mean when is it possible to add them on etc (I registered my main modules this morn) or can you point me in the right direction? Thanking you!! :D
    This is the procedure for first years, I think: After elective places have been allocated (i.e. provisional period ends) electives are allocated on a first come, first served basis. So on the 6th of September you should be able to go to the electives page on registration and sign up to another 10 credits (70 is the maximum). The costs for that will probably be around e700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Thronian

Q. with this registration business is there a danger that if you leave it late picking your subjects, you might not get them cuz they're full?

I was all set to pick them but as I went onto the page to do so it said: "We strongly recommend you attend your advisory sessions during orientation week. These sessions give you information and advice on making these choices. "

Is it shmart to wait until orientation week is done before picking your subject choices?

Thronian wrote: »
    Q. with this registration business is there a danger that if you leave it late picking your subjects, you might not get them cuz they're full?

I was all set to pick them but as I went onto the page to do so it said: "We strongly recommend you attend your advisory sessions during orientation week. These sessions give you information and advice on making these choices. "

Is it shmart to wait until orientation week is done before picking your subject choices?
    Smart thing to do is pick the subjects you want now, attend the advisory session - then you can change your mind or not. At least you'll have the classes you wanted in the first place. You can always change before the 19th of September without monetary penalty.

Oh and Geo08 - go to electives page now if you like. Do a search on the Astronomy modules you wanted. When you click on one at the bottom it will tell you when you can select extra credit modules. You'll also find out if you'll have a timetable clash before the 6th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

UCD_Econ wrote: »
    Oh and Geo08 - go to electives page now if you like. Do a search on the Astronomy modules you wanted. When you click on one at the bottom it will tell you when you can select extra credit modules. You'll also find out if you'll have a timetable clash before the 6th.

Double thanks :D

Edit: Just had a look, just in case anyone else is looking for extras in science
    "You are not allowed to register for any surplus credit until 06-SEP-08"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Thronian

Thanks!

Another q.
    Is it rare for Arts people to just go for a 30 credit & a 20 credit subject choice plus modules?
    Do most go for three core subjects? I'm really torn on whether to include philosophy as a 15 credit main subject (and bump the other two down to 20 and 15) or in one of those module things....

Do most pick 3 subjects?

Thronian wrote: »
    Thanks!

Another q.
    Is it rare for Arts people to just go for a 30 credit & a 20 credit subject choice plus modules?
    Do most go for three core subjects? I'm really torn on whether to include philosophy as a 15 credit main subject (and bump the other two down to 20 and 15) or in one of those module things....

Do most pick 3 subjects?
    I think most people in Arts omnibus pick 3 subjects so that they have three open doors at the end of year one. Remember - subjects at third level aren't the same as they are at leaving-cert level.

But you could do the 6 Philosophy modules, another 20 credits in a different subject, and 10 in, say, politics - and proceed in all three. Some subjects only require you to take one (specific) module in year one to proceed with it at year two, others require more. You'll find what the requirements are on the UCD site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

stupid question but when do we actually find out what subjects and electives we actually get for the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Hmmm Well A few questions here
    1. I am in Sci Omni ,It said to choose a subject stream,does that mean it has all the modules needed to progress to next year?
    2. I seem to have 35 credits this term and 25 next term.Is this a bad idea ?
    3. If a module has filled up,is there any chance over the next few weeks of it coming available?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

kev_s88 wrote: »
    stupid question but when do we actually find out what subjects and electives we actually get for the year?
    When you register? Which is today... Do you mean when is the provisional elective registration period up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭kev_s88

sorry yeah.i meant when will we find out if we actually succeed in getting the electives we choose. although something tells me that i shouldnt worry about arabic over-filling :D

kev_s88 wrote: »
    sorry yeah.i meant when will we find out if we actually succeed in getting the electives we choose. although something tells me that i shouldnt worry about arabic over-filling :D
    6th of September is when provisional period ends. After that it's first come, first served for modules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leisha

Okay, problem seems to have been ironed out!

Geo08 wrote: »
    Double thanks :D

Edit: Just had a look, just in case anyone else is looking for extras in science
    "You are not allowed to register for any surplus credit until 06-SEP-08"
    Actually I got the fee wrong, sorry. It's e495 per extra module in science. So that's e990 to take two extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Geo08

Actually I got the fee wrong, sorry. It's e495 per extra module in science. So that's e990 to take two extra.

No problem! One of them (physics lab) clashes so thats out, the other I was thinking of, I should be able to either do it as an extra or next year as I've done some digging for stage 2 (the three physics modules I'm taking seem to cover any I want to do yr 2). so glad to have it all worked out ;) thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

The token 'Mammy' back here to say how helpful I've found this forum, and this thread in particular, during the past couple of weeks.

Seriously, it's a real lifeline.

I was a bit alarmed to see the UCD student's advice in the Indo today:

'You can always repeat the exams, but you can't repeat the parties'.:eek:, but no matter what, I hope y'all have a fabulous year ahead.

I was a bit alarmed to see the UCD student's advice in the Indo today:

'You can always repeat the exams, but you can't repeat the parties'.:eek:
    And anyone who follows that adage ends up like this. Remember kids, you have to pay to repeat modules and if you don't obtain at least 50 credits you have to repeat either half the year (and pay half of full academic fees + registration) or a full year.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

Are Fresher's week and all the events to do with it only for the UCD 1st years or can other freshers from other colleges come to?

Are Fresher's week and all the events to do with it only for UCD students?
    Who else would they be for?
    Hmmm Well A few questions here
    1. I am in Sci Omni ,It said to choose a subject stream,does that mean it has all the modules needed to progress to next year?
    2. I seem to have 35 credits this term and 25 next term.Is this a bad idea ?
    3. If a module has filled up,is there any chance over the next few weeks of it coming available?
    Thanks
    Didn't notice this Q.

1. Check the UCD site I linked previously about requirements. It will tell you major requirements. Failing that, ring/email the science programme office.

2. Not really a bad thing - not a great thing either. Just keep up with the work, don't slack and it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Maybe, sometimes they do release extra places. Don't count on it though. Pick another subject so that doesn't become full too.

• Advertisement

Who else would they be for?

Sorry,I edited after to explain more clearly. I don't know anyone going to UCD so for example at the fresher's ball if I was to go, I'd be on my own! was wondering if I could get an extra ticket for a friend to go with me?

Sorry,I edited after to explain more clearly. I don't know anyone going to UCD so for example at the fresher's ball if I was to go, I'd be on my own! was wondering if I could get an extra ticket for a friend to go with me?
    Oh - OK. I don't see how that would be a problem, just buy two tickets... as long as one of them was a UCD student I doubt they'd get refused. Not everyone's partner attends UCD so I'm sure that's a common occurrence.

Oh - OK. I don't see how that would be a problem, just buy two tickets...

Will do, thank you for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Is the fresher's ball formal dress code or just casual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mermy

Im doing Arts and registered for my modules today. my timetable worked out fine but for my politics modules it says tutorials will be assigned automatically. These aren't in my timetable. does anyone know when i will find out when they will be?

Mermy wrote: »
    Im doing Arts and registered for my modules today. my timetable worked out fine but for my politics modules it says tutorials will be assigned automatically. These aren't in my timetable. does anyone know when i will find out when they will be?

I think you have to register for politics tutorials in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I've gotten 2 emails about my electives; Humanities study skills and beginners Japanese.

For Japanese there's 100 or so places and only 50 have applied so far so that's looking good.

For Humanities study skills they essentially say that there are around 20 places available and around 100 people have applied. Do they add more classes to fit us all in or is there an 80% chance I'm going to have to choose some left-over elective at the last minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Mermy

I think you have to register for politics tutorials in person.

Oh cool, thanks

samsamson wrote: »
    I've gotten 2 emails about my electives; Humanities study skills and beginners Japanese.

For Japanese there's 100 or so places and only 50 have applied so far so that's looking good.

For Humanities study skills they essentially say that there are around 20 places available and around 100 people have applied. Do they add more classes to fit us all in or is there an 80% chance I'm going to have to choose some left-over elective at the last minute?
    Humanities studies skills is one of those joke modules people take to up their GPA, if I remember correctly. It's always going to be oversubscribed. Maybe it would be a good idea to look for another option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭bebeebutterfly

I didn't get emails about my electives so that's a good thing right?
    Least something's working out.

:confused::confused::confused:
    I didn't get campus accommodation!
    Everyone I know here got it (that's about 8 people)
    except myself and my sister.
    I know this guy who lives near me who got it too (last year)!
    I think it's because we weren't born in Ireland, that's the only difference,
    i got higher points then some of them, and same course as two of them.
    So that must be it!
    I have no home and don't know where to live now!!?
    Agh! the train from here isn't even early enough to take every morning, unless i travel to another county to get the early one there, but that'd mean getting up at 4 every day.
    *sigh*

What am I to do???:(
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Advertisement