Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting started in the rain....problems

• 18-08-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a six year old Bandit 600. I park it on the street with no cover. Having problems starting it recently with all the rain. Battery is fine.

How much of a difference does putting on a cover make? Anyone had similar problems in the past?

Conor

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

From my experience, a cover is really only protecting the paint work on the bike. Ive never had excessive rain hinder me starting the bike or a hinder performance. But then again that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nedned

i have a bandit 600-10 years old.i have mine under a cover.and one morning last week after a night of rain.when i started it i cloud hear ht arking.which caused it to nearly stall.after a couple of minuites it ran fine.but i did notice when it gets wet it can be harder to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a fairly common problem on Bandits parked out in the rain. There's a drain hole in each spark plug well which runs down and towards the front of the engine. If any rain gets into the spark plug well, the hole is supposed to let it drain away, but it often gets blocked. Solution is to unblock the holes with a little piece of wire, or compressed air if you have it. The left hand cylinder is where all the water flows towards when the bike is parked on the side stand, so that's the one most likely to give trouble. You might have to take the plugs out to clean them if the insulators are manky. Just make certain there is no crud in the spark plug holes before taking the plugs out, otherwise it will fall into your cylinders...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

ninja900 wrote: »
    It's a fairly common problem on Bandits parked out in the rain. There's a drain hole in each spark plug well which runs down and towards the front of the engine. If any rain gets into the spark plug well, the hole is supposed to let it drain away, but it often gets blocked. Solution is to unblock the holes with a little piece of wire, or compressed air if you have it. The left hand cylinder is where all the water flows towards when the bike is parked on the side stand, so that's the one most likely to give trouble. You might have to take the plugs out to clean them if the insulators are manky. Just make certain there is no crud in the spark plug holes before taking the plugs out, otherwise it will fall into your cylinders...
    Excellent advice there ninja900! Will be carrying this out on my Bandit myself seen I lose cylinder 4 when it rains profusely (which is far too often these days)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Thanks fo that.

When i lifted the spark cap the inside was very wet. Dried it out now. Seems to be working fine.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

if its wet inside plug cover ye need new plug caps and ht leads
    spray the whole area with wd-40 and it will get ye going for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

jambofc wrote: »
    if its wet inside plug cover ye need new plug caps and ht leads
    spray the whole area with wd-40 and it will get ye going for a while

Why not just put in new plug caps
    are they not just thread in?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 thebandito600

I have a bandit as well and i find havin a waterproof cover stops the rain gettin into the plug caps in the future.With all this beautiful weather we're having it might not be a bad idea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Why not just put in new plug caps
    are they not just thread in?

i think de bandit is a sealed ht-lead and plug cap and there very expensive for wat they are

Advertisement