Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clueless!

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

I have eircom broadband in my house, and I have a wireless box. It's grey, rectangular, with two black antennae sticking out of it, and it doesn't work. I've been using ethernet with it for months now, and I just cannot get the wireless to work on the thing. An airlink was even installed to no avail.

Does anybody have any tips or help on how I can get wireless running on it?

After months of having laptops chained to it via ethernet cables, I'd love to be able to use the wireless box I paid for!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

gaybitch wrote: »
    I have eircom broadband in my house, and I have a wireless box. It's grey, rectangular, with two black antennae sticking out of it, and it doesn't work. I've been using ethernet with it for months now, and I just cannot get the wireless to work on the thing. An airlink was even installed to no avail.

Does anybody have any tips or help on how I can get wireless running on it?

After months of having laptops chained to it via ethernet cables, I'd love to be able to use the wireless box I paid for!

Thanks in advance.

Well I suppose that strictly speaking Eircom would say that you get it free:)
    And there is always the possibility that the router is broken however you have to try some basic stuff.

First things first have you confirmed or has anyone confirmed for you that the wireless is actually switched on?

People on here will not be able to help you unless you give as much detail as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Switched on at the netopia box or as in ringing up eircom?

I'll give any info I can, its a grey eircom netopia box, plugged into a PC and laptops via ethernet cables, and the wireless connection, when tried to connect, gives the message: "No wireless networks were found in range." or occasionally "Cannot connect to the wireless network". When I run the troubleshoot, nothing happens :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is an option within the router to switch the wireless signal on or off. This has absolutely nothing to do with Eircom. Its up to the user to choose whether the router broadcasts a wireless signal or not.

Before any can attempt to help you with your problem we need to know if the wireless option is turned on in your router.

Okay, thanks!

I'm not sure how I check that?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Connect your laptop as you normally do to the netopia

Open internet explorer and in the address box, type http://192.168.1.254

On the left hand side, you will see a link for "Wireless" click it

When the new page loads, you will see a tick box for wireless to turn it or turn it off

When you save changes, you will see the Wireless light turn on or off depending on the choice you made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Is your wifi tunrned on on the laptop? Do a scan for networks and see if it picks up any it not (and its on) then the laptop may have an issue.

MC

The wireless box is ticked, however the light on the netopia box hasn't turned on! The computer still isn't picking up a wireless signal.

I don't think it's a problem with the PC or the laptop, as the PC and two laptops can't receive it.

Should I just resign myself to using the ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You may have a faulty Netopia box, ring the eircon help line and get them to send you a new one.

Also you can download Netstumbler (http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23439-order,4-page,1/description.html) adn install that on a laptop and use it to scan for a WiFi signal, report back on how you get on.

MC

Advertisement