Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Eircom Broadband Enabled Exchanges?

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just got off a call to Eircom sales to try to find out if there were any plans to upgrade my local exchange and predictably I got nowhere. I was redirected about 3/4 times and waiting to talk to someone for about 5 mins..and at the end of it all he couldn't tell me anything!

Theres no info on the eircom site either re exchanges as far as I could find.

Does anyone know if there exists anywhere a list of currently live and/or planned broadband enabled exchanges?

I am in the crap position of having no landline and needing to get one in just to see if I can get broadband!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭leonvquinn

I'm gonna partly answer my own question - just found a bookmark to an eircom maps page! - http://mmm.eircom.ie/maps/default.asp

This tells you the currently enabled exchanges but not planned ones so I'll just have to keep checking it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Search the Ireland Offline forum for exchanges lists, there is a thread there somewhere (possibly by damienm) which had the list of future upgrades announced by eircom.

Those upgrades are going *extremely* slowly, but if you're not on the list, then you've basically no hope. If you are on the list, then 2-5 years is a good estimate.

Cant find anything there.

2 - 5 years sounds depressing. I wonder if the recent government broadband plan will have any effect on the upgrade rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Thats a pretty pessimistic estimate, I would think most that were listed as to be upgraded will probably be done by end of 2009- mid 2010. And no very doubtful that the NBS will have any effect on upgrade times because as I understand it the NBS will not be aimed at places that have an upgrade on the cards, not to mention the fact that the NBS just keeps getting delayed and probably won't see much from it from another while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

leonvquinn wrote: »
    I wonder if the recent government broadband plan will have any effect on the upgrade rate?

Nope, not a thing.
    Thats a pretty pessimistic estimate, I would think most that were listed as to be upgraded will probably be done by end of 2009- mid 2010.

Last list here.

The next list is linked in this thread, list here. No timeframe is given on this list of 200 exchanges.

My estimate is not pessimistic, it is realistic. I believe the current list of "to be done" exchanges will take up to 5 years, if they're ever done.

• Advertisement

Thanx Jorel, been to Mulley.net a few times already!

Nice to see my exchange on the 'next' list and I heard from a local councilor that eircom promised at a meeting of Leitrim county council last Sept that they would upgrade before the end of this sept but guess what!?...time is running out...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Send a mail to Eircom press office looking for info. about our exchange. I have found them to be helpful in the past when I was waiting for my exchange to be DSLed. They should be able to give you a ball park date if its scheduled to be done this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Press are helpful, this week might not be the time to get a quick reply with lots of people without phonelines and DSL.

Email sent to press office and thanx for warning me Damien.m, I was fully expecting the usual instant reply from Eircom!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

jor el wrote: »
    Nope, not a thing.

Last list here.

The next list is linked in this thread, list here. No timeframe is given on this list of 200 exchanges.

My estimate is not pessimistic, it is realistic. I believe the current list of "to be done" exchanges will take up to 5 years, if they're ever done.

That last list took less than two years to do and even though at the time of announcing the 300 there was no time frame given there has been hints given in interviews by Eircom. We all know that Eircom work very slowly but realistically they can't take 6 and a half years from the time of announcing these exchanges to them being done. Having them done in the next two years is far more realistic when you consider they announced them a year and a half ago.

• Advertisement

Well I'm normally a pessimist but I'd have to aggree, waiting another half decade for the local exchange here after hearing assurances from Eircom that they'd get it done this year seems ridiculous but its also ridiculous that in the year 2008, I can't get proper broadband!!

My theory is that broadband availability is so poor in certain parts of the country that is just has to get better soon. Law of averages.

Advertisement