Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please stop buying from e-bay

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Oh come on, what is natural and un-natural? it is a stable part of the human diet for thousands of years. And its great in tea and coffee, so you don't use diary products? ice cream, whipped cream, butter, cheese, yogurt? A great source of calcium:cool::). For godsake your named yourself after butter.:)

no I don't, and it's simple really. humans produce milk for their offspring too, so do all mammals, the only thing that is meant to drink milk is the young until they are old enough to eat solids. and actually kerrygold is the butter, which is not my username. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Folks, may I draw your attention to the fact that the practice of rearing calves in crates, the so called "kistkalf" in Dutch has been outlawed for a good while now in most of the EU. When this was done it actually caused a serious challenge to breeders to be able to deliver the typical pale soft textured meat consumers were used to.

About horses and ponies. They mightn't be eaten here in Ireland but there's thousands of horses being exported from Ireland to the continent for slaughter and a fair few stay local and are turned into petfood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Folks, may I draw your attention to the fact that the practice of rearing calves in crates, the so called "kistkalf" in Dutch has been outlawed for a good while now in most of the EU. When this was done it actually caused a serious challenge to breeders to be able to deliver the typical pale soft textured meat consumers were used to.
    Thats probably why I could find no irish info on it. How are veal calves reared now?
    About horses and ponies. They mightn't be eaten here in Ireland but there's thousands of horses being exported from Ireland to the continent for slaughter and a fair few stay local and are turned into petfood.
    I don't think the op is disagreeing with the fact horses are being eaten. (I could be wrong, OP could you clarify what the issue is, is it the practise of killing healthy foals?) I think it's the fact that mares are impregnated and allowed to carry the foal full term so that they produce milk. The healthy foal is then killed so that a TB foal can be nursed by the mare. The issue is a perfectly healthy foal being killed. It's a disgusting waste and not natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Helena, when you're talking about the continental meat rearing industry nine times out of ten in something that resembles this :

http://www.wopereis.nl/steel-construction/calf-sheds.php

Not exactly green rolling fields but still a hell of a lot better than a crate in which they couldn't even swish their tails.

To claw back to the foals, of course it's not natural. It's the harsh side of the big money industry called thoroughbred breeding. And than you have to keep in mind that of all thoroughbred racing stock born every year only a minority ever gets to the racecourse.

Advertisement