Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apparently if you had laser eye surgery your unfit for PDF

• 18-08-2008 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

was told i was unfit today cause they could`nt accept anyone that has had surgery on their eyes. didnt even know this =/ . anyone else know ? doc said it was advertised etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

out of curiosity, how do they know you have had laser eye surgery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Please tell me you didn't tell them you had it???? PLEASE???

But, don't worry. The Minister is having a report compiled as to the reasons of why they won't accept people with laser correction done.

The Medical Corps have told him, "It could take some time to complete". So within a year or two they will probably be forced to remove that stipulation from the Medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

its one of the questions, do you wear contacts glasses or laser eye.

didnt think i would get refused over it

I think I may know how you feel bud, I can't get in because of a slight colour-deficiency.

They specify no reasons for either. But they are being forced to answer for themselves now.

I have sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

could be worse said they are just waiting for clearance, thats been in the books with months but has`nt been brought in .

hearing is hella hard though the location and equipment suck nuts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

The hearing is easy :P

There's no real reason that I've heard on why the Army refuses to accept people who have had the surgery..... However, that's the case with a few things in the Army :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was considering having the surgery a few years ago. Very glad I didn't now, but by the time I finish college and apply, it may be possible to get in with it. Can't see the objection personally, but no sense arguing that with the people who don't make the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Poccington wrote: »
    The hearing is easy :P

There's no real reason that I've heard on why the Army refuses to accept people who have had the surgery..... However, that's the case with a few things in the Army :D

Reduction in night vision, 'haloing' and increased chance of damage to the eyes after an impact to the head - are reasons I've heard cited but I've never seen anything official. UK and US militaries allow it, as do the Gardaí. The techniques have come on a long way, at the very least the DF seem to be considering it.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/article.phpx?topic=191&id=9216&nav=Local%20Item

AFAIK, the DF don't really want to deal with this. When asked by the Minister to compile a report on why people who have had Laser Eye Correction done are not allowed enter they said the report will take, "Some time to complete"

The way I see it there reasoning will propably come out with alot of "if's and but's".

Such as "If Pte Bloggs gets a smack just right on his head/to his eyes it could blind him." When in reality if anyone gets hit just right in the head/to their eyes it could blind them.

Our DF is just a little bit Backwards!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

concussion wrote: »
    UK and US militaries allow it
    Correction: UK & US allow a certain eye surgery. You may be only eligible for one type, which may or may not effect your night vision. The UK, French, etc, armies allow a certain type (email the UK MoD to find out). This was after they did their own studies. Unsure if the Irish army has done a similar report yet, though.

Oh, and a certain surgery can effect your night vision to the point that you nearly don't have any. Been a while since I looked into it, so forget the types, but I'd advise you to look into all the cons of the different types before you proceed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement