Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 Problem

• 18-08-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My g/f bought a N95 8gb of EBay but there seems to be a problem.

When she put her sim card into the phone it came up as vodafone (no problem there as its her network) but when she went to make a call, she kept getting the message "call not allowed". There was/is full reception on the phone by the way.

I asked a friend of mine who is kind of a nerd when it comes to phones and he said it could be call barred and you have to phone the network?

Is this the case?

Will the phone be able to be un call barred here when it came from the UK?

Has she been scammed by someone on ebay :(

Any one have any ideas :confused:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

I would ask the ebay vendor what the story is, esp if their ad said sim free, or unlocked. They should be able to sort u out. If not it is a paypal job.

If the branding on the phone is vodofone and your sim is vodafone then it is likely it is locked or barred.

You can check the imi number with i presume vodafone to check the status of the phone.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Find-the-IMEI-Number-on-a-Mobile-Phone

but the ebay vendor should be the first person you contact.

I brought the same phone on ebay a few months ago, and worked first time. I did have to change the configuration to three as it was orginally an O2 phone in England. The configuration data is stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Thanks for the fast reply real_484.

I should have said that it looks to be O2 branded (she said when it shuts down it has the O2 goodbye screensaver and also it has O2 on the bottom right hand part of the screen when its turned on).

She has emailed the vendor with no reply - so it looks like it could be a PayPal job :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭real_484

Thanks for the fast reply real_484.

I should have said that it looks to be O2 branded (she said when it shuts down it has the O2 goodbye screensaver and also it has O2 on the bottom right hand part of the screen when its turned on).

QUOTE]

you could try an O2 sim to see if it is barred. if it won't work with an O2 sim then barred and I would be looking for a refund. If it does work with an O2 sim then just a question of getting it unlocked.

I'll get her to try that.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If this is a UK phone, it's still locked to a UK Network, 02 by the sounds of it....

You'll need to get the phone unlocked, i'd try asking the seller can he provide the unlock code or will he refund the amount it will cost you to get it unlocked here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

If this is a UK phone, it's still locked to a UK Network, 02 by the sounds of it....

You'll need to get the phone unlocked, i'd try asking the seller can he provide the unlock code or will he refund the amount it will cost you to get it unlocked here...

If it came up with Vodafone and shows full signal, its definitely not locked
    It sounds like the handset is barred to me
    A lot of the networks share their barred IMEI lists and rightly so
    Is her sim card working ok in any other phones?

Hello whisht,

Yes, it comes up with Vodafone and shows a full signal.

And yes, her sim card works in other phones.

So it looks like its call barred :(

So It looks like my g/f will have to try and get a refund through paypal as she is getting no response from the emails she is sending to the vendor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

If you tell me the 7 digit code beginning with 05 on the silver sticker under the battery, I'll tell you what network the phone is off.....sounds like a mixed bag between Vodafone & O2.

Go through settings and reset to factory defaults. If it's flashed with some network software, the network can be determined by looking at the internet access points after the factory reset

You will be able to find the staus of the phone here

Please compare the IMEI on the box / silver sticker and by pressing *#06#

Advertisement