Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing provider/Ping times/Dl speed/Navan.

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title vaguely suggests, im very close to changing my BB provider. I currently have 3mb Breeze from IBB which is constantly terrible for everything (gaming/torrents etc.) I have tried their support but they always say its a known issue or some other rubbish and its been going on for months. (Ive worked in a call centre so I know the fob off drill :D.)

I contacted BT and they said I can avail of their 24mb service but as im 4km from the exchange the best speed i would get is 1mb. :(

Eircom said "I may be eligable for BB." And if so id assume it would be the same situation as BT.

So my question is, would it be worthwhile changing from 3mb wireless (to house, not using wifi router) to a wired line to the house but with only about 1mb?

I use the net (or try to) for games (PC/xbox360) and some torrents/downloads.

Appreciate any input! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Yes fixed line broadband is always going to have better ping times than wireless. So it would be worth your while changing to dsl if you're a gamer.
    1mb with decent ping is fine for gaming but obviously not fast for downloads. However, with torrents it depends on how many seeds there are if you want to max out your connection but you probably know this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

if BT are providing 24MB that that is with THEIR exchange the eircom one will be different( hence may work out better for your situation ), someone here might be able to give you the google link to your local eircon exchange

even if you are 4km from the BT exchange id still say youd get more than 1mb( provided your not far off the 4km, but its a gamble )

Regardless, 1mb working with okish pings is better than on air wireless bb thats not consistent

Going by my attenuation im 3.5km from the exchange( i synch with 4mb download/386 upload ), but my pings to boards.ie are 50ms so im guessing youll have similar or slightly worse pings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

lmimmfn wrote: »
    if BT are providing 24MB that that is with THEIR exchange the eircom one will be different( hence may work out better for your situation ), someone here might be able to give you the google link to your local eircon exchange

even if you are 4km from the BT exchange id still say youd get more than 1mb( provided your not far off the 4km, but its a gamble )

Regardless, 1mb working with okish pings is better than on air wireless bb thats not consistent

Going by my attenuation im 3.5km from the exchange( i synch with 4mb download/386 upload ), but my pings to boards.ie are 50ms so im guessing youll have similar or slightly worse pings

Hi, your ping times are being effected by eircoms interleaving policy on 3+ packages, not your distance from the exchange.

1mb packages use the lowest form of interleave, or if your lucky fathpath.. if you can get 2mb the pings are even better again because of the increased upload.

Expect alot lower than 50ms to irish servers OP , probably sub 20

hope this helps!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Thanks all for the replies. Think im going to ring BT later and try get hooked up. Hopefully I wont be without BB for too long. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement