Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finishing up ACA trainng contract early

• 18-08-2008 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all

I am finishing up my ACA training contract on 31st Oct with a big 4 firm.(3 year contract) I haven't taken any leave this year yet and have booked the last month off as holidays therefore actually finishing in september.
    I have now accepted a new job and wanted to start at the begining of Oct. will there be any issue with the institute? Someone mentioned in HR that there might be a problem with this cause I am contracted to my existing firm till 31 Oct!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Oct2008

Sorry for duplicate thread. I tried to edit the title for a spelling mistake and duplicted the thread instead.

Mods, can you delete this thread please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Yeah this is a big deal. Your company can refuse to release you early. You'd have to get a transfer and complete the last month of your contract in your new job and that's only possible if your new job is recognsied by the ICAI as a firm/company that can train ACAs.

But I wont be working I will be on annual leave sitting at home? I dont need to finish up early from my contract I have already agreed to get the time off.
    Is there any problem in starting in my new job while on annual leave. I will have my record of experience signed off before I go on annual leave.
    Others in my firm have left before the date using leave to make up the time and there was no problem with it what I want to do is just start my new job early

Oct2008 wrote: »
    But I wont be working I will be on annual leave sitting at home? I dont need to finish up early from my contract I have already agreed to get the time off.

Ah ok, sorry for the mix up. Tricky situation imo. They could ask you to take pay in lieu of time owed. All you can do is hand in your notice and see how it goes. Nobody can really tell you how your firm is going to react.

I've handed in my notice and manager was fine about it, was actually happy for me! It was only when I happened to be talking to HR that they said there might be a problem starting a new job while on annual leave.
    Will the institute have a problem is my greatest worry. As I said i'll have my record of experience signed off there is no problem with that. if I'm on annual leave do I need to tell them what I'm at? will I just say I'm taking leave and leave it at that?

• Advertisement

Oct2008 wrote: »
    I've handed in my notice and manager was fine about it, was actually happy for me! It was only when I happened to be talking to HR that they said there might be a problem starting a new job while on annual leave.
    Will the institute have a problem is my greatest worry. As I said i'll have my record of experience signed off there is no problem with that. if I'm on annual leave do I need to tell them what I'm at? will I just say I'm taking leave and leave it at that?

I don't want to encourage this but it seems you've no other choice, Just say nothing about it again to anyone in your company. Your record of experience is signed off so get that in the first day of November.

Advertisement