Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

low fat nights out

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Im a rugby player. tryin to loose some of the oul tyer round the stomach. Love my Friday night out after a long week in the office. Used to drink Heineken which is very high in sugar. Started drinking Coors Light. Doesd anyone know any Alcoholic drinks that are low in fat. Keep in my mind my mates are all lads aswell, So wine is a definate no no

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The most effective way is portion control. :)

Failing that however, spirits are your best option with a diet mixer. You might get a bit of stick about the diet drink but just tell them to blow it out their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Im a rugby player. tryin to loose some of the oul tyer round the stomach. Love my Friday night out after a long week in the office. Used to drink Heineken which is very high in sugar. Started drinking Coors Light. Doesd anyone know any Alcoholic drinks that are low in fat. Keep in my mind my mates are all lads aswell, So wine is a definate no no

Even red wine? That can *kinda* pass as manly :)

Whiskey & diet coke, vodka & diet tonic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Afaik most alcoholic drinks are low in fat. However, they are high in calories, and an excess of which, can cause one to gain fat if not used up. There was a good post here a couple of weeks ago (try searching or going back a few pages) iirc, with a v good comparison of most alcoholic drinks.

Voila: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

seamus wrote: »
    You might get a bit of stick about the diet drink but just tell them to blow it out their arse.

But be sure to be well away if they are drinking Guinness ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

are the few pints usually followed by a kebab and chips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Been honest no, Dont like chips, and tend not to bother with kebabs, burgers etc. Usually me and d lads might get a pizza between us, but we might get 1 or maximum 2 slices each like.

That was an interesting thread. Any of yas ever see bulmers light on tap? Its nicer then the normal stuff out of d bottle and can anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

Guinness is actually surprisingly good for you (no really!) and very manly :pac:

I was looking it up a while ago and remember it had less carbs than most light beers. Have a look here, it lists the main brands with info on carbs and calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

All alcoholic drinks except for things like Baileys are low fat. They tend to be high carb and of course, they also contain alcohol.

You could make everyone love you by offering to drive, and then sticking to mineral water all night. Once you have a glass in front of you, people really don't care what is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Used to drink Heineken which is very high in sugar. Started drinking Coors Light. Doesd anyone know any Alcoholic drinks that are low in fat. Keep in my mind my mates are all lads aswell, So wine is a definate no no
    Who told you Heineken is high in sugar??? I suspect a "bloke down the pub" the same lads who say guinness is full of fat, "cause it makes you fat so it must be". Info is all out there, with drinks it is harder to find, never understood why the drinks industry is allowed keep their nutritional info secret. Tesco brand drinks have info though, so just read them for similar estimates.

I would sooner "de lads" see me drinking wine than coors light!

many of the top german beers have the lowest calorie per unit alcohol ratio. i.e. they are strong and have more calories per bottle, but you drink less so overall your calorie intake is the less, though you get the same blood alcohol level. Also they are usually better quality so less hangover, and they also tend to work out cheaper (per unit alcohol)

Pizza has savage amounts of calories BTW

read this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336010

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I know a few pro rugby players OP and in the main they would drink red wine while out

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Who told you Heineken is high in sugar??? I suspect a "bloke down the pub" the same lads who say guinness is full of fat, "cause it makes you fat so it must be". Info is all out there, with drinks it is harder to find, never understood why the drinks industry is allowed keep their nutritional info secret. Tesco brand drinks have info though, so just read them for similar estimates.

I would sooner "de lads" see me drinking wine than coors light!

many of the top german beers have the lowest calorie per unit alcohol ratio. i.e. they are strong and have more calories per bottle, but you drink less so overall your calorie intake is the less, though you get the same blood alcohol level. Also they are usually better quality so less hangover, and they also tend to work out cheaper (per unit alcohol)

Pizza has savage amounts of calories BTW

read this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055336010

Ive 6 years bar experience mate, Heineken has more sugar in it then most beers despite it not been that sweet, Drink it while you have diabetes, yer foot will fall off.

Erm Wine is a no no like i said, I hate the stuff + its full of the female gene (man boobs) :D I drink corrs light, Its ok, ye donbt feel full after it like ye would with heino, guinness, or cider. but it gives ye a banging head ache

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Erm Wine is a no no like i said, I hate the stuff + its full of the female gene (man boobs) :D

What a load of utter,utter tripe.
    Just because you peddle drink to people doesnt mean you have a qualification in endocrinology.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

True, if anything isn't it beer that contains phytoestrogens, from the hops? (Or am I talking though my arse?)

Degsy wrote: »
    What a load of utter,utter tripe.
    Just because you peddle drink to people doesnt mean you have a qualification in endocrinology.

What are ya talking about.

taconnol wrote: »
    True, if anything isn't it beer that contains phytoestrogens, from the hops? (Or am I talking though my arse?)

Been honest I didnt hear about that. I was studying Hospitality management for a year (dropped out) but in that year we had to do a project for each of the modules. 1 of them was bar management. But it wasnt about pulling pints, we had to investigate the different drinks, pro's and cons, why would you stock them, who yer target market is etc. 1 of the things I found that of the popular beers, as in ones youll find in any irish pub, Heineken has the most sugar and white wines, altough low in fat contains high amounts of eestrigen (sorry bout the spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ive 6 years bar experience mate, Heineken has more sugar in it then most beers despite it not been that sweet, Drink it while you have diabetes, yer foot will fall off.
    Have you any info on different beers, some sites show carb contents of beers. What % sugar does heineken have? How much does Coors have? What was the second highest in sugar content.

No offence to you but most barmen I know haven't a clue about alcohol, they just sell it, they have no real need to know TBH.

Heineken has the most sugar and white wines, altough low in fat contains high amounts of eestrigen (sorry bout the spelling)
    So what drinks are high in fat? How much fat do you reckon is in wine or heineken?
    As mentioned it is usually hops associated with "moobs" you can actually buy pills derived from hops for breast enhancement/growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Most drinks have no fat. Beer, wine, spirits etc are all fat free. Not calorie free, that's a completely different thing.

The drinks with fat are things like Baileys or cocktails like Brandy Alexander. Anything with cream or coconut are high fat.

Advertisement