Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D chess game

Options
  • 18-08-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi
    I want to write a 3d chess game before I go back to college. I have no experience in game programming.

I assume that c++ is the way to go but am unsure of anything beyond that. Can you guys recommend any books or else just give some advice in general?

Keep in mind that I won't be writing any AI. I'm more concerned with the graphics side of developement.
    Thanks.
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

c++ is one way to go, it quick, and you get involved at a low level with whats going on.

C,C# and/or Java are other ways to go too.

C# and Java will yield quicker development times, but you "lose" some control of the graphics, and the implementation, which I personally think is the fun part! :)

Also, have you a preferred graphics technology?

Some popular ones would be OpenGL, and DirectX

I think microsoft offer a visual studio game development add on package through their visual studio express website for their c++ ide

DirectX will need you to download the DirectX SDK, a couple of hundred megs, wheres OpenGL will be a much smaller download

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for the reply.

I think I will go with java. I have a lot more experience with Java, though not 3D. I was going to go for c++ since I need to brush up on it for 4th year but I doubt I will be using it much anyway.

Am I right in thinking that if I go with Java I just need java 3D and nothing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You could try looking at Microsoft's XNA framework, ties in with C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

Not sure what you need for 3D with Java, check out the sun site maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

java 3d but from memory its meant to be pretty poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I think I'm going to use the jmonkey engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Logonberry

If all goes well, you could convert it to 2D (or keep a cheeky 3D using 3D sprites in a 2D engine ;)) with the slick engine, and then convert it to a mobile platform such as a phone. Either way, best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I agree that xna would be worth checking out.
    If you are interested in games development it is a good framework to develop pc xbox an mobile games.
    And as mentioned it involves using c#, which is probably the best language to know in terms of employability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would you need a lot of programming experience to make a chess game?

Advertisement