Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

patenting an invention

• 18-08-2008 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi,

I've come up with an invention of sorts but not sure how i should go about selling the idea to someone.

It is basically a new service that could be developed & sold here...i've thought it through and reckon there is a defineit market for it. However, due to the fact that i don't have the cash to take this any further, i would be looking to try to sell the idea to someone, for say a fixed initial fee &/or shares in the future profts. This idea would need the co-operation of a particular existing public sector service, so i have thought about maybe trying to sell it to them...

I'm not sure if i need to patent this idea first to prevent prospective investors cutting me out of the deal once i pitch the idea to them. Does anyone know if it's expensive to patent an idea? Are there different levels of patenting something or is it a standard fixed fee?

My knowledge of business is very limited so excuse any ignorace i'm showing here.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

This should answer your question:

http://www.patentsoffice.ie/en/patents.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Patenting can be expensive depending on several factors including, amongst others, the markets you wish to protect and how specific the invention is (vauge = can be used for a variety of purposes = difficult and expensive / specific = single narrowly defined purpose = easier to protect.)

First step is search the following sites and see is there anything the same or similar:

US patent office
    European Patent office
    Google patent search

Next step is approach a patent agent and get a quote. If you have done exhaustive searching on those sites yourself then bring the results with you, otherwise it's the first thing they will do and will charge you for it.
    I suppose you could file it yourself but I'm not sure how it works.

Before disclosing anything to a client, you should post all details in a sealed envelope to your solicitor for safe keeping and proof of date. It doesn't afford much protection but it can be used to claim prior art if they steal your idea.

If you want, I can suggest a patent agent that my company uses - PM for details.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement