Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put on 3 stone now want to tone up

• 18-08-2008 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,

In the last 18months I've managed to put on 3 stone.
    Was 8.5stone now I'm just below 12.

I'm finally happy with my weight now was always way too skinny.
    I'm 5'10" so I dont look at all chubby at this weight.

My next goal is to tone up get some muscle definition and abs.

What to you think I need to do to achieve this in the gym?
    What are good workouts to be doing?

Also do those muscle shakes really work?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭suirfire

Hi. How did you manage to put on that weight????? need to put on weight my self after a bad illness but can seem to gain any lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

Hi Suirfire,

Bottom line.......Plenty of good food.....

Prior to 18months ago I done it all wrong...
    I thought that by eating loads and loads of junk food I'll pule on the lbs....
    So I ate nothing but fast food and pizza and chinese etc etc
    Only thing that went up was my cholestoral...

Since moving in with my girlfriend 18months ago I've eating nothing put fresh prepared dinners ( by her :))...Generally good food and it's worked and gotten my cholestoral down by nearly 2 points....

Lots of protein and carbs is the trick I think ( well it worked for me anyway )

Chicken , turkey , red meat , tuna , porridge , lots of milk...
    Bread , Spuds , loads of veg....
    Large portions of all of these...
    Think I was eating around 4000 calories a day....I was on a mission I tell ya:D

Hope you achieve your weight gain and are over the illness.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Dawei

Hi Neosmaster

Here are some exercises for you?

Bench press with a barbell or a pair dumbbells - your chest
    Lats pull down or Chin ups on a bar or Machine - Back muscle
    Squat with a barbell - Leg muscle
    Military press - For your shoulder

Start with light weights 12 - 15 / set 2-3 sets. 2-4 times/week depends on you.
    after a few weeks or when you have mastered those moves , add on some weight do between 8 - 12 reps/set. 2 or 3 sets for now. the term Training to failure means after you finish the last rep of each set, you shouldn't be able to do another rep. So if you do 8-12 , the 12th should the last, maybe you can do only 9 or 10, that's ok. Just add more weight if you can do more than 12.

BTW it is important to get a gym instructor to show you the moves when you first join, as incorrect techniques may result in future injuries.

The protein shakes do work, but real food is much better. Protein shakes are really convenient for post workout. Remember though try your best to eat real foods.

Hope this helps

Advertisement