Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mats

Options
  • 18-08-2008 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

Is there just something special about the way my feet rest on the floor, or does everyone's carpet mats end up knackered in no time?

On my Mazda Protege, there's a little hook that goes through a reinforced eyelet on the mat to hold it in place, but after a while they both disintegrated and I'm constantly pulling the mat back out of the footwell.

Now on the 3-series, there are velcro pads on the bottom of the mat, but the bottom layer of the mat is pulling away from the rest of it and ripping in places.

What's wrong with my feet??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Do you listen to Riverdance while driving? I used to and when through a set of mats every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you listen to Riverdance while driving? I used to and when through a set of mats every week.

LOL.

Maybe we should ask Michael Flatley how he keeps his car mats clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

If it makes you feel better OP, same thing happens to me.
    Im convinced its my feet been kinda big and ill always rest my heal on the floor.

The eye hook thing for keeping the mats in place i found ripped the mats to shreads alright i gave up with them.
    You just gotta replace the mats.
    Either that or stop trying to play the bass drum while driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have to pull the mats back a couple of inches every time I get into the car. Very annoying.

You can buy that heavy duty velcro in Halfords/Woodies, it works well, but for how long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My Focus has two little fastners on the floor itself. You then clip the mat to these fastners on the floor and twist them to secure the mat. Up to now it is a thoughtful system and shows no sign of wear or breakage.

The Focus system is the way they all should be. To make a 5 star NCAP car and then have mats that can get mashed under you pedals is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Balfa wrote: »
    Is there just something special about the way my feet rest on the floor, or does everyone's carpet mats end up knackered in no time?

On my Mazda Protege, there's a little hook that goes through a reinforced eyelet on the mat to hold it in place, but after a while they both disintegrated and I'm constantly pulling the mat back out of the footwell.

Now on the 3-series, there are velcro pads on the bottom of the mat, but the bottom layer of the mat is pulling away from the rest of it and ripping in places.

What's wrong with my feet??

It's not you, it's the mat.

The old 3-series (e46) had two fasteners on each of the front mats and these worked quite well at keeping the mat in place.

The new 3-series (e90) now has velcro underneath the mats. It doesn't take long for the velcro part to start peeling off the underside of the mat, thereby allowing the mat to constantly slip forward. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

The old 3-series ... worked quite well at keeping the mat in place.
    Actually, mine is an e46, and it's got the velcro. Dunno if that was a mid-life change or specific to the US market or something. One day, I even popped the velcro pad out of the floor! It's got a little peg that just sticks into a hole in the floor and the whole thing came out. Just popped it back in again, no big deal. But it can be frustrating.

I'd like to see how this focus restraint works. Anyone got pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bazz26 wrote: »
    My Focus has two little fastners on the floor itself. You then clip the mat to these fastners on the floor and twist them to secure the mat. Up to now it is a thoughtful system and shows no sign of wear or breakage.

My 06 Passat has something similar. Little plastic tabs that you twist and which hold the mat in place. No problems so far, although I was constantly pulling the mats back in the 02 version I had previously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement