Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lap The Lough

Options
  • 18-08-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Is anyone doing Lap the Lough next weekend?

http://www.lapthelough.org

It's 140km around Lough Neagh, with most of it on cycle paths. I believe it's also fairly flat. I'm looking forward to it, as long as next weekend is a bit drier!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Pity it's on the same day as SK as I would like to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Done it last year and it was a good route, highly recommend giving it a go. Route is flat with some minor hills but nothing difficult, the road's are pretty quiet except for a stretch into and out of the final feeding station.

Food stations were poorly equipped last year so be sure to bring plenty of your own. Got lost twice on route last year so ended up doing 150 km which is my longest yet.

Like Raam I will be heading for the SK this year instead and hoping to beat my 150km!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ditto, doing the SK, otherwise would have loved to do this. I really think there should be better co-ordination over this, makes no sense to have two major events on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

blorg wrote: »
    Ditto, doing the SK, otherwise would have loved to do this. I really think there should be better co-ordination over this, makes no sense to have two major events on the same day.

Good point. I was thinking about doing this, and then focused on the SK instead. Though a moot point as I am now doing neither (!). But given the choice, next year it will be the SK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Decided to do this at short notice, having been up North for a weekend break anyway. Lovely day, even got sunburnt. Averaged 19 mph for the circuit, having spent most of it hanging onto the back wheel of different fast-moving groups. As mentioned above it's a very flat route.

Scenery wise you cannot really see the Lough for most of the route which would be a pity for a touring cyclist, as the roads are lovely for a leisurely spin. There are excellent cycle-roads up North and plenty of bicycle sign-posts with route numbers and distances etc. The tourist offices even have comprehensive cycling guides covering most of the countryside and lots of regions of cultural/historic/botanic interest.

Food was adequate, plenty of bananas and apples! One tea-break with biccies and sandwiches at Antrim. An energy drink powder with a shaker bottle at the end, but no (obvious) water to mix it! I'd estimate about 1000 people doing it and the atmosphere was very friendly and leisurely (even if I was suffering trying to keep up!)

Anyone else here do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ronanoc

It was a great day and a very well organised event. Although the amount of glass on the road was unbelievable. I must have seen 10 punctures in the first 5 miles. I suffered a similar fate myself near Ballyronan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Good turnout by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

talking of coordinating events. Are there any more events this year. I really enjoyed the Sk and would love another couple of training days like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There isn't anything on the same scale but I do know of these events:

- Dying Cow 200 on 7 September - starts Bray, 200km around Wicklow, less hilly than the W200 (Club: Sorrento)
    - Dublin Wheelers 140km randonee on 21 September, 140km around Meath

I would expect turnouts in the range of 50 people for these although there may be a bit more if people are feeling good at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

talking of coordinating events. Are there any more events this year. I really enjoyed the Sk and would love another couple of training days like these.

http://www.irishcycling.com/events/calendar/
    I think the events marked with yellow might be of interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement