Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods in Waterford

Options
  • 18-08-2008 2:44pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Curious - since the rest of the country has suffered very badly from flooding, has Waterford been lucky and escaped it? The Tramore road is closed due to flooding (I think its at the bridge just before you come to the roundabout on the ORR) and there is part flooding on the Kilbarry Halting site road. Other then that, is that it?

I would have expected the quays to have been hit, but haven't heard of that being the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

The Tramore road is closed due to flooding

There's a suprise...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KingLoser wrote: »
    There's a suprise...

Ya, I know. Arent they planning on doing something about that anyway? To stop it happening in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Sully wrote: »
    Ya, I know. Arent they planning on doing something about that anyway? To stop it happening in the future?

I heard the talk about it, probably the same talk you heard. But I seriously doubt they can stop a bog from flooding.

I say build a roof on it, and let it sink.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KingLoser wrote: »
    I heard the talk about it, probably the same talk you heard. But I seriously doubt they can stop a bog from flooding.

Isn't SuperQuinn built on a bog? And the new Racecourse in Tramore is also being built on bog land, no?

I think its possible, just expensive..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

They should build a dual carriageway out to Tramore, and have it raised above the bog so that it doesn't flood.

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »
    They should build a dual carriageway out to Tramore, and have it raised above the bog so that it doesn't flood.

It was suggested when the ORR was opened (on Boards) but I think most people felt there simply wasn't enough traffic to be opening a dual carriage way between Waterford and Tramore. Its not to bad of a road, but people drive on it very slow and its hard to over take. Its the stretch between SuperQuinn and that little bridge past the roundabout that's the problem with flooding mostly I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Quays used to flood fairly regularly with spring tides and whatnot. I've not seen that in a long time, a few years I suppose. Have I just been lucky and missed it for the past while or have they done something to prevent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Heading out past Kilmeaden on the way to Carrick I encountered a bit of flooding but nothing major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »
    It was suggested when the ORR was opened (on Boards) but I think most people felt there simply wasn't enough traffic to be opening a dual carriage way between Waterford and Tramore.
    in fairness a lot of people if not three quarters of the population of tramore travel to work in waterford and to shop there on a daily basis how much traffic does a road require before it can be brought up to dual carraigeway status????

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Some in knockboy and the 6 cross roads

• Advertisement

in fairness a lot of people if not three quarters of the population of tramore travel to work in waterford and to shop there on a daily basis how much traffic does a road require before it can be brought up to dual carraigeway status????

You could say the same about a lot of the roads in Waterford tho. They don't usually build dual carriage ways on those type of stretch roads.

(Not that id complain if it did happen, would be very handy!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kensutz wrote: »
    Heading out past Kilmeaden on the way to Carrick I encountered a bit of flooding but nothing major.

Not seen much flooding on this road I have to say...atleast not as far as Fiddown bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The Tramore road was closed today at about 5pm

KevIRL wrote: »
    The Tramore road was closed today at about 5pm

Tis closed since Friday IIRC. Or Saturday. Not sure. But its passable - just closed due to the risk I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Hiya,

Just wondering does anyone now if the area from Strawberry hill student accomodation to the mansion house pub on the ballytruckle road floods?
    I dont think it does but have had 2 ppl this morning tell me it does?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hiya,

Just wondering does anyone now if the area from Strawberry hill student accomodation to the mansion house pub on the ballytruckle road floods?
    I dont think it does but have had 2 ppl this morning tell me it does?? :confused:[/Quote
    Never saw it flood and I'm around a while

thanks! Thats that one settled so :D

Final Q on this now ;) Poleberry?? does this area flood, as in the area around the post office in poleberry? As far as I know this one does flood? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Final Q on this now ;) Poleberry?? does this area flood, as in the area around the post office in poleberry? As far as I know this one does flood? :confused:

You must be looking for a place to swim , imo you would be better off going out to tramore or if you like swimming indoors there is a few pools around the town.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yes, that region can flood during high tides and exceptionally heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Ive not seen any flooding on the Kilbarry road, the flooding is just down to the road surface not being finished, and the shores not flush with the road as the final surface isnt down!

Ive not seen any flooding on the six cross roads either!

Where was it flooded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

On a slightly related topic: Anybody ever imagine the water busting through all the glass along the new quay flood defenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The quays are usually hit around spring tide time or october. Isnt the see through railing a flood defence too?

Advertisement