Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Actors donate wages to Heath's Daughter

• 18-08-2008 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailystab.com/johnny-depp-colin-farrell-jude-law-donate-earnings-to-heath-ledgers-daughter/

News was released back in Feburary, after the sudden and tragic death of Heath Ledger, that Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law would all three be stepping in to fill in for Heath in the movie he was filming at the time, ‘The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus’ .

Now all three actors have donated their earnings from new movie to Heath’s daughter Matilda.

They wanted to give their money to Heath’s two-year-old child with actress Michelle Williams to ensure she has a secure future. The movie’s director Terry Gilliam said:

“The three actors were totally heroic coming in. This doesn’t happen very often - where there’s a tragedy like this, and very famous, very successful actors suddenly say, ‘OK, we’ll do whatever it takes to help.’ They came, they did the work, they allowed the movie to be finished, they didn’t take money - the money goes to Heath’s daughter. That’s extraordinary! I am so glad these guys are so humble. That’s why they make a great addition to the film. It will be bittersweet seeing this movie knowing he was filming it only days before he died. This picture still hurts to see because as we all know he did die a couple of days after this picture was taken. My thoughts will always be with Heath.”

Johnny, Colin and Jude will all play Heath’s character Tony as he is transported into three separate dimensions, which he accesses via a paranormal mirror belonging to a travelling theatre troupe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭VW08

Its nice to see something like that happening.

(Johnny, Colin and Jude handing over the money, not Heaths death!!!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Good on them, it's undoubtedly pitence to them but could make a big difference in the girl's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Does the kid not have millions already from Heath? Plus, her mother is wealthy enough I'de imagine... why does she need even more money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

moved from after hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Does the kid not have millions already from Heath? Plus, her mother is wealthy enough I'de imagine... why does she need even more money?

I read somewhere that Heath Ledger's father is allegedly hanging on to the loot and that only he knows what's happening to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

odd, just watched a Knights tale on the telly, good movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I think its somehing to do with Heath not updating his will.So his father is in charge,but you would think that he would provide for his granddaughter.Also Matildas mother wouldnt earn the same as Johnny Depp as she is not as well known.Fair balls to them for doing that as they didnt havwe to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

There was some story that Williams was having difficulty getting anything from his will. There was also (IIRC) some stories floating about that Ledger's estate wasn't actually that sizable in terms of celebrity wills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭little miss

That's really sweet of them.. Though in tragic circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Well all 3 have small kids so it was probably a case of "oh sh!t, that could be my kid". Very nice thing to do. Probably didn't want to look like they were making a profit from someone else's death too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Women can never have enough shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

My hats off to them. Truly decent. Would take Johnny Depp of course. Always knew he was perfect :rolleyes: ahhhh lucky, lukcy Vanessa Paradis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Well done all three.

Farrell started this first and the others followed

I think this child will be looked after money wise anyways, her mum is a decent actress, her late father had money and the godparents are actors also Busy Philipps and Jake Gyllenhaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Heaths will was not current enough to include his daughter unfortunatly. His father was executor and apparently a couple of years ago he dwindled away money from another relatives (father or brother I cannot remember) will.

Therefore, I think it is very admirable of Jude, Colin and Johnny to do this for Matilda.

They are unsure whether she will recieve anything from her fathers will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Nice of them, but it would have been better if they did it privately rather than letting the world know how kind and generous they are (I am always suspicious of people who do good and then produce a press release about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Nice of them, but it would have been better if they did it privately rather than letting the world know how kind and generous they are (I am always suspicious of people who do good and then produce a press release about it).

You've got a point alright - never though about that, although saying anything negative about Johnny Depp just goes against the core of my being :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ItalianPosh

Don't really see why they needed to donate money to Heath's daughter. Its not like Heath was poor and left no inheritance whatsoever for his beloved daughter. This is just a case to show that actors take care of their "own kind". What about the other children starving out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Don't really see why they needed to donate money to Heath's daughter. Its not like Heath was poor and left no inheritance whatsoever for his beloved daughter. This is just a case to show that actors take care of their "own kind". What about the other children starving out there?

Heath hadn't updated his will to include his daughter by the time he died. It's been reported that Michelle has been having difficulty getting money from Heath's father who is the executor for the will and she may end up never getting any money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

My hats off to them. Truly decent. Would take Johnny Depp of course. Always knew he was perfect :rolleyes: ahhhh lucky, lukcy Vanessa Paradis

Yea, when his daughter was in Great Ormond Street children's hospital he dressed up as Captain Jack Sparrow to entertain the kids in the ward and then donated a load of money as a way to say thank you to all the staff for being so good to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

kinda OT
    Michelle Williams has pledged a donation to the scholarship fund set up in her late ex-boyfriend Heath Ledger's name.

The 'Australians in Film Heath Ledger Scholarship' will help up-and-coming Australian actors pursue careers in America.

It was set up after Ledger's death from an accidental drug overdose in January.

Wannabes can apply for up to $10,000 (€6,847) plus a round-trip airfare from down under to the US

Williams, the mother of Ledger's two-year-old daughter Matilda, is among the first donors, having handed over an undisclosed sum, reports People.com.

Ledger's friend, director Gregory Jordan, will be one of a five person panel, who get to hand out the money.

He tells People: "Broke Aussie actors in LA form a tradition that goes all the way back to Errol Flynn.

"Heath was definitely part of that tradition and this scholarship is something he would have been proud to have his name associated with."

The star's father Kim adds of the fund: "We as a family are pleased with the establishment and progress of the AIF scholarship award named in honour of our much loved and generous son, Heath. As a result of this scholarship, a talented Australian actor will gain valuable assistance to support their personal goals, and an opportunity for recognition in the very tough US film industry."

• Advertisement
Advertisement