Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuesday Aug 19 Boards Spin

Options
  • 18-08-2008 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Meeting in the Phoenix Park PaPal Cross for 6:15 if that suits you people.

Route to be decided @ meet, but just in case, bring lights.

Also thinking of a Wednesday Hilly Spin.

Who is in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Me, if I can breathe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wed hilly spin might suit me, haven't even looked at one of those two wheeled contraptions in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

May be able to make this.

+1 hilly spin Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

blorg wrote: »
    May be able to make this.

+1 hilly spin Wednesday.

Brilliant!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

deffo up for a flat one tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If anyone wants Howth tonight, I'm heading out there with a couple of others this evening.

Raam wrote: »
    If anyone wants Howth tonight, I'm heading out there with a couple of others this evening.

Phoenix park for me tonight. Legs need some kind training ...

Any idea what sort of time? You planning on doing repeats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

The plan for Howth is head out there about 7:30 and do a few reps.
    few of us heading down from Donaghmede so could hook up with us at Sutton cross if that time isn't too late.

That might work for me, don't wait for me if I'm not there, I'll prob bump into ye. Which direction are you planning on going (I would probably be most keen on the non-town side up.)

• Advertisement

cool, we would probably head up past the graveyard (not sure if that's what you mean by the town side or not but its the longest way up), down the other side and up again, then some other route e.g. right hand side of the church.
    I'll PM you my number and you can ring if you are looking for us.

if we leave at 7:30, hope to reach sutton x by 7:40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Could make this one.

Nice to see Raam, LDB and Raam's brother tonight, despite the horrible weather. 65km total for me.

Of course the main reason I am posting this is because I managed to beat Raam up a hill! Hope you don't mind my gloating a little as it is a feat unlikely to be repeated any time soon! In fairness, he may have been letting me on the first attempt from Howth Village to the summit, it was certainly an all-out effort on my part; on the second attempt I had a bit of a head start coming into the hilly bit.

Having beaten Raam up a hill I am now considering retirement :D

EDIT: Max cadence on the downhill was 141 RPM :eek:

In fairness, he may have been letting me on the first attempt from Howth Village to the summit

Let's keep the mystery :)
    it was certainly an all-out effort on my part

You were fairly horsing it up alright, I thought you were gonna blow-up, but you didn't. Fair play.
    on the second attempt I had a bit of a head start coming into the hilly bit.

As it happens I had slipped on a manhole cover when I took that wrong turn!
    Thankfully I didn't end up on the ground, but it was a close one.
    I wanted to see how you were going to handle that one, cos I plan on having a go on my own fixie soon enough.
    Having beaten Raam up a hill I am now considering retirement :D

Any victory on my part would have been hollow, given that you were on a fixie. It wasn't really a level playing field :)

EDIT: Max cadence on the downhill was 141 RPM :eek:

Do you know what speed you were going at that cadence (wondering if it was more than on Sunday!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We'll have to organise a Boards Hill Climb Challenge. Something to keep us all occupied once the season is over.

el tonto wrote: »
    We'll have to organise a Boards Hill Climb Challenge. Something to keep us all occupied once the season is over.

I'm, like, SO in for this one :)
    Any one know any likely spots?

We could do that time trial that someone (Hobojobo?) posted a while back.

You are some man on that fixie Blorg - fair play.
    couple of pics from the hill, quality not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Could do a figure of 8 circuit from Chapelizod to Strawberry beds. Up hill at Chapolizod, down hill to Strawberry beds to Hill just before Lucan (tinkers Hill). Down someton lane and repeat all over again.

• Advertisement

Do you know what speed you were going at that cadence (wondering if it was more than on Sunday!)
    Reducing the data smoothing in SportTracks gives me a max of 144 RPM @ 49 km/h. This is pretty much what would be expected from my 46-17 ratio and 700x26c tyres.

Howth_Speed_Cadence_Elevation.png

(Note how the cadence line exactly matches up with the speed!)

Reducing the data smoothing in SportTracks gives me a max of 144 RPM @ 49 km/h. This is pretty much what would be expected from my 46-17 ratio and 700x26c tyres.

Holy crap man... you are truly a legend!

Holy crap man... you are truly a legend!

It totally bursts the "Blorgometer" scale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I'd be up for a hilly one on Wednesday evening (especially if some of you are on fixies now!)

That challenge hill, is that the road up to Glencullen via Barnaculla? That's steep alright. I'd like to see how better cyclists take that on. Last time I went up that stretch I'd have been quicker walking it:o

It totally bursts the "Blorgometer" scale!
    I got a bit better on my spin up to Johnny Foxes at lunchtime- 58km/h @165RPM. In fairness this would definately be in the category of "the bike cycling me." :D

Glencullen_Speed_Cadence_Elevation.png

Will see ye all this evening (and tomorrow for a hilly one, tried out that climb up to Barnaculla today, it was tough but managable at 25 RPM.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

"58km/h @165RPM"

Vorsprung durch Technik oh might blorg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I may be up for a hilly spin tomorrow evening if it's an open call, can lurk at the back :D

I got a bit better on my spin up to Johnny Foxes at lunchtime

Dude, how many km a week do you put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

yis are all mad!

good to see a few of yis outside Castleknock College this eve! Blog and Caroline where there and I think Mark!! fair play!! might venture out on a spin sometime with yis!

think the old cycling, in all its formats, is on the increase!!!

PEDAL POWER!!

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote: »

PEDAL POWER!!

That's the spirit!!

Blorg, Niceonetom, Emty and moi, nice and easy spin ... exept that I did get dropped when Emty turned on the turbo... Spins are getting shorter, just about 64 or 65km ( my computer stopped at some stage ) for me damn sunlight!!!!!!

And Blorg is a now also celebrity, Draper recognized him as we were going home and asked him for a photo and an autograph.

Great to meet you too Draper :)

Advertisement