Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

reporting of road fatalities

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

r3nu4l wrote: »
    You obviously missed what I said...

In other words, Towards December the papers do a special on Road deaths, detailing the number of deaths, the number for which causes have been determined (alcohol, drugs, speeding, ice etc) and break them down into these categories. They could also say where multiple factors were considered to have contributed to the death. Then by saying what roads these deaths occurred on, the time of daya nd weather conditions we could finally have a clear picture of where speed traps and accident reduction strategies need to be employed.

This would be very useful approaching Christmas where the propensity for drink driving is increased.

The RSA do publish those statistics, just a couple of years later. The latest available on their website is 2006

Thing is, you have to go look for these, they're not in-your-face like the accidents themselves at the time.

As regards the reporting in the media: I personally have no problem with it, although I do agree it's overblown at times. If more than one person dies, it's suddenly "carnage" everywhere.

Ireland is such a small country a lot of people will know of the stretch of road in question where the accident happened. If it's a stretch you use regularly, it may teach you to be that little bit more careful the next time you're driving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

It BeeMee wrote: »
    The RSA do publish those statistics, just a couple of years later. The latest available on their website is 2006

The RSA lumps drinking, speeding, sleeping, being on the phone and so on all into one cause of accidents: drivers contribution. I'd like to see the breakdown: how many drivers, especially in single vehicle accidents, are drunk at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

It BeeMee wrote: »
    The RSA do publish those statistics, just a couple of years later.

It does make interesting reading but as zube says, it's also very vague in certain areas. I have a feeling that this is deliberate and that if we had the raw data to look at ourselves we'd see a different picture emerging. Thanks though, it's informative to a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Zube wrote: »
    I'd like to see the breakdown: how many drivers, especially in single vehicle accidents, are drunk at the time.
    I want more detail than that:

How many were over the legal limit?
    How much over the limit?

Without a detailed report including those statistics, how can our wonderfull DoE possibly make sensible decisions on drink-drive limits?

Likewise with speed limits: The limit on over 90% of the country's roads was reduced a couple of years ago, without any data published on the number of crashes that occur at speeds between 50 and 60 mph.
    It BeeMee wrote:
    Ireland is such a small country a lot of people will know of the stretch of road in question where the accident happened. If it's a stretch you use regularly, it may teach you to be that little bit more careful the next time you're driving it.
    Or it may teach you not to drive there at 80mph when you're hammered.
    In fact, it teaches us nothing because we never learn the actual causes of accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

r3nu4l wrote: »
    It does make interesting reading but as zube says, it's also very vague in certain areas. I have a feeling that this is deliberate and that if we had the raw data to look at ourselves we'd see a different picture emerging. Thanks though, it's informative to a point.

I agree, we all hear ststistics about how many people were charged for using their phone while driving but if we started hearing on the radio or tv that 2 people died in a single car crash because the driver was on the phone then it might make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Slig wrote: »
    I agree, we all hear ststistics about how many people were charged for using their phone while driving but if we started hearing on the radio or tv that 2 people died in a single car crash because the driver was on the phone then it might make a difference.

You do. Its just probably quite rare and not something they investigage unless there is something to suggest it. It was in the news recently about a woman who went to prison because her phone records showed that she sent a text just before she caused a fatal accident.

Advertisement