Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pricing question

Options
  • 18-08-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭

I'm buying my first car and leaning towards a Seat Ibiza, 2002 or 2003. Saw a couple of them over the weekend, both three and five door. All had under 40k and were in good condition. Prices ranged from €6k to €7k.

I'd appreciate your opinion on two areas, firstly the difference in pricing of 3 and 5 door and secondly how much of a discount from listed price should I look for given I am not trading anything in. The current environment means I am in a strong position so would a 15-20% discount be unreasonable? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the price difference between a used 3 and 5 door should be marginal at this stage.

Regarding discount, I think 15 to 20% off is unlikely even in the current climate but hey stranger things have happened. Just remember that small cars hold their value the best due to their low running costs so there may not be as much discount on them as there would be on say a large executive car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

5 doors are generally a lot better sellers than 3 doors except maybe in Golf GTis etc (and even they are more popular in 5dr now adays) .Take the current Yaris or Micra for example ,Im sure theres a lot more than 10 5drs sold for every one 3 dr.Theyre only 500 euro extra new and Id say that 500 euro gap stays until the car is scrapped unlike ANY other 'extra' you care to mention .The prices you quoted seem WAY TOO high considering I cant get any interest in my 2007 Toyota Aygo 1L 5dr at 6.5-7k after 8 months advertising .I know of someone else who has Zero interest in a 17k 2007 at 10k .(There comes a point below which you just cant stomach the sale ...For me its 6.5k on an 12k 2007)The market is on its knees ....bid low !Call back in a few weeks if they dont accept.There was a story here of someone who bid 12k on a 14k Corrolla ...dealer turned it down and a month later the car is advertised at under 11k...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Cantoris

Thanks for the advice. I'm into horsepower on the racecourse rather than on four wheels so don't know the pricing of other models. I worked off carzone.ie and the general price for a 2003 Seat Ibiza was €5-6k. I'm going to buy from a decent garage. Just don't want to risk the hassle of not knowing the owner or history of some of the sellers and the cars. I'll have plenty of years, hopefully, to take those chances. But think I will go back and knock two grand off to start with and se where it gets me. As you say, there are plenty of cars out there.

Advertisement