Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcoholic BF off drink 90 days...need pressie idea's

Options
  • 18-08-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello folks;
    I was in here the other day looking for ideas for my OH since he gave up the drink! They worked btw, he's enrolling in these adult ed course's for 10 weeks in golf lessons, see if he like's it and then maybe invest in it bit more e.g. but his own clubs n stuff!! So thanl you too one and all...
    Im back today for more opinions...
    He's actually off the drink 90 days today, and not to get ahead of myself Im wondering what would be a good idea to get/give him when he's off drink 100 days! Idea's welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Besides the obvious (Steak and BJ) perhaps a weekend away, doing some hill walking or going to see a band?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

well if he's into the golf thing then why not take him away to a fancy golfing resort somewhere that actually has sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Richie860504

This is gonna sound all soppy and all but anyway bring him out for a meal and tell him how proud you are of him and all that. Just that little bit of honesty will make it a whole lot easier for him to stay off it. By the way don't want to burst the bubble or anything but 100 days is doing great but I found when I gave up the drink after major problems with it, that between the 3rd and 9th months were the hardest, cause for the first 3 months, people giving up drink are focused only on staying off the drink, then after that emotions that have been hidden by the drink start to level out, but this isn't an easy time. There will be times were he'll be angry, sad and over happy and other times he won't know how he feels. This is the time he really needs the support and be able to talk. So all I can say is I wish the both of you luck over the next few months but remember it will be definitley worth it in the end and just keep reminding him that you'll always be there to listen.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭gipi

How about an activity day - quad biking, archery, or something unusual like that which he might like? A meal is always a great idea, but ye would be surrounded (kind of!) by drink which might be a bit awkward, especially if he hits the difficult period as described by Richie?

Well done to him, here's hoping for many more good days!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Take him to a driving range, great place to have all the fun of hitting a golf ball but without running around a course after it :)

Most ranges will also have greens so he can work on his short game too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

If a guys given up why not help him freshen up clothes wise aftershave etc.

When you are boozing you stop looking after your appearence.

Just a thought people love getting spoiled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Maybe take him on a shopping spree and buy him some good clothes/stuff (after shave, cool gadgets etc.).
    And then wrap it up with a good dinner in a fancy restaurant somewhere and show him how you can enjoy life just as well without alcohol too...

Advertisement