Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Bhuna

• 18-08-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have a good Bhuna recipe? I have tried a few jars but none have the same fresh tomato & herb/spice taste that you get in a good Indian restaurant – and none of the ones I go to will give me the recipe! :(

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Anyone??!

Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Bhoona seems to have a variety of different ingredients in depending on the recipe - see if this fits the bill...

Bhoona chicken for 4 from Curry Club books by Pat Chapman - I usually can't be bothered with these recipes from the Curry Club because you have to make 3 or 4 different gravys or pastes or stocks before you are ready to cook the dinner. But it is supposed to be a restaurant recipe from the Dilshad Tandoori in Hartlepool.

650g chicken
    2 tbsp oil
    1 tsp tumeric
    8 tbsp curry masala gravy (see below)
    2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
    2 tbsp natural yoghurt

Spices whole
    4 bay leaves
    6 pieces cassia bark
    6 cloves

Spices ground
    1 tbsp garam masala
    chilli powder to taste

Heat the oil and stirfry the whole spices for 1 minute. Add chicken and tumeric and stirfry for 5 minutes, add a spoonful of gravy and allow to absorb, add more gravy and allow to reduce each time - it should be cooked in 15 minutes. Next add ground spices, yoghurt and chopped coriander. Stirfry for 2-3 minutes. Done.

Curry masala gravy - a base for a lot of curries that needs to be frozen as this recipe makes a lot.

2 tbsp oil
    5 tbsp garlic puree
    5 tbsp ginger puree
    8 large spanish onions - puree
    6 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp salt

Spices
    2 tbsp tumeric
    4 tbsp curry powder
    chilli powder to taste
    2 tbsp ground cumin seeds
    2 tbsp chopped coriander

Mix the spices with water to form a paste. Add oil to a pan and stirfry the garlic for 3 minutes, add the ginger and cook for 3 minutes, add the spice paste and cook for 5 minutes, add onion puree and cook for 10 minutes, finally add the tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes. Add the salt. divide into 10 portions and freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Many thanks - I will try over the weekend & let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minder wrote: »
    Spices
    2 tbsp tumeric
    4 tbsp curry powder
    chilli powder to taste
    2 tbsp ground cumin seeds
    2 tbsp chopped coriander

Do they have a definition of what makes 'curry powder'?

Yes - but it is one curry powder for all recipes. That curry powder is also used to make a curry paste by mixing with vinegar and water, then frying the paste in oil until the water is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's a definition from an article in an old issue of the Curry Club magazine called "Curry House Cookery" ... (BTW I converted the whole article to a PDF a while ago for someone on here, so if anyone's interested give me a shout)

HOT MIXTURE
    Coriander 6 parts
    Paprika 4 parts
    Fenugreek 1/2 part
    Cumin 3/4 part
    Chilli 6 parts

MEDIUM MIXTURE
    Coriander 6 parts
    Paprika 4 parts
    Fenugreek 1/2 part
    Cumin 1/2 part
    Chilli 1 part
    Turmeric 1/2 part
    Allspice 1/4 part

MILD MIXTURE
    Coriander 6 parts
    Paprika 4 parts
    Fenugreek 1/2 part
    Turmeric 1/2 part
    Ginger 1 part

Many thanks - I will try over the weekend & let you know how I get on!

TC, did you make it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Anyone try this Bhuna recipe? I quite fancy some currying over the weekend, would be interested to hear a bit of feedback before I persuade the missus to start reinventing the sauce wheel...

Advertisement